RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Software Photoshop, Lightroom, Paintshop Pro, Painter, etc., and all their various plugins. Of course, you can also discuss all other programs, as well.

[FPS] Paint Engine (Win only)

Old 04-22-2007, 06:29 PM

Re: [FPS] Paint Engine (Win only)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew B. View Post
Greg. The program looks great. It looks like more than enough to motivate people to go with the pay version over the free version.

I guess the big question is about existing presets. Will there be a way to import them? Or, if not, is there enough backward compatibility for us to translate a few favorites by hand?
Thanks Andrew!

There may be a way to translate older presets, I hadn't thought about that. The original algorithm is still there in the current version...
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-22-2007, 09:07 PM
Patron

Big fan of Paint Engine. Just downloaded this new gem and look forward to playing with it soon. After beta, what do you think it will cost? Just curious. Based on the samples on your website, as cheap as I am, I really think you have a customer here if the price is reasonble.

Edit:

Can a say WOW. Very much look forward to additional betas, and again, if reasonable (I did say I was a pauper right?), I will get this one. Also look forward not only to the additonal presets, but also the ability to save them. I guess I will have to create a cheezy text file and manually do this for now.

Last edited by lkroll; 04-22-2007 at 09:32 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-22-2007, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg S. View Post
There may be a way to translate older presets, I hadn't thought about that. The original algorithm is still there in the current version...
I only created a few presets. All are based on Uphill. If Uphill and the original brush are still there, I can set the sliders to match the values in Paint Engine, and then resave them.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-23-2007, 08:54 AM

Quote:
just windows currently, I'd like to build a Mac version at some point.
Hi Greg,

I'm glad to read it, I've tried on PC, great!

saby
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-23-2007, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkroll View Post
Big fan of Paint Engine. Just downloaded this new gem and look forward to playing with it soon. After beta, what do you think it will cost? Just curious. Based on the samples on your website, as cheap as I am, I really think you have a customer here if the price is reasonble.

Edit:

Can a say WOW. Very much look forward to additional betas, and again, if reasonable (I did say I was a pauper right?), I will get this one. Also look forward not only to the additonal presets, but also the ability to save them. I guess I will have to create a cheezy text file and manually do this for now.
Thanks! I'm still working on a price, thinking about 90 US(?). I know that might be high, and some people might pay more, but I'd rather see more people be able to use it. The more I can make the more time I'll be able to put into improvement (big list of things to do yet for version 1.0). I would really like to make it something where the price is definitely worth it given the functionality.

Also I would like to have "forever" updates within the version number, so I can get something reasonable out soon but continue to make improvements. Basically I'm between jobs right now, so I have to try to get something going pretty quickly.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-23-2007, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Thanks! I'm still working on a price, thinking about 90 US(?). I know that might be high, and some people might pay more, but I'd rather see more people be able to use it. The more I can make the more time I'll be able to put into improvement (big list of things to do yet for version 1.0). I would really like to make it something where the price is definitely worth it given the functionality.

Also I would like to have "forever" updates within the version number, so I can get something reasonable out soon but continue to make improvements. Basically I'm between jobs right now, so I have to try to get something going pretty quickly.
Since Photoshop Elements 5 is available for $80.00, and Paint Shop Pro XI is available for $50.00, methinks $90.00 might be a bit steep. Don't price yourself out of the market.

Might be better to start lower and give discounts for upgrades. I think I would probably consider a first release purchase starting in the neighborhood of $50.00. This price would have more people making the initial purchase so the word gets around. Then upgrade(s) at a discount.

Also had to dig the files out and delete each one to uninstall the demo. Does not appear on XP's list of installed files.

Just my F.W.I.W.

Steve C.

Last edited by Steve Conway; 04-23-2007 at 04:18 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-23-2007, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Thanks! I'm still working on a price, thinking about 90 US(?).
The most recent photoart plugin I bought was Virtual Painter 5, which sells for $55. But to be honest, I am actually considering AKVIS Sketch, which sells for $72. The thing is, though, several weeks have gone by and I have not bought it. The price is a part of the hemming and hawing

And now I'm looking at the possibility of ImpressionFX for $90. That is out of the range I like to spend on plugins, and I would probably settle for Paint Engine. But this is just me.

Quote:
Also I would like to have "forever" updates within the version number, so I can get something reasonable out soon but continue to make improvements.
That's a good idea. I've seen other's do this, and it works well. They get it out the door, and later add the features that didn't make the deadline. Plus bug fixes that came up after release.

Andrew
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-24-2007, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Conway View Post
Since Photoshop Elements 5 is available for $80.00, and Paint Shop Pro XI is available for $50.00, methinks $90.00 might be a bit steep. Don't price yourself out of the market.

Might be better to start lower and give discounts for upgrades. I think I would probably consider a first release purchase starting in the neighborhood of $50.00. This price would have more people making the initial purchase so the word gets around. Then upgrade(s) at a discount.

Also had to dig the files out and delete each one to uninstall the demo. Does not appear on XP's list of installed files.

Just my F.W.I.W.

Steve C.
Thanks Steve, an initial release discount is a good idea.

There should only be one file installed for the demo, in any case I'll look at the installer issue.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-24-2007, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew B. View Post
The most recent photoart plugin I bought was Virtual Painter 5, which sells for $55. But to be honest, I am actually considering AKVIS Sketch, which sells for $72. The thing is, though, several weeks have gone by and I have not bought it. The price is a part of the hemming and hawing

Andrew
I know what you mean, I don't like to spend a lot on something like this myself.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-24-2007, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Thanks Steve, an initial release discount is a good idea.

There should only be one file installed for the demo, in any case I'll look at the installer issue.
The two files I deleted were the IFX.8BF file and the file in prefetch. No big problem to do this, but thought you would want to know of anything unusual as you continue working with the beta.

Looking forward to seeing more. The two files I deleted were the IFX.8BF file and the file in prefetch. No big problem to do this, but thought you would want to know of anything unusual as you continue working with the beta.

Looking forward to seeing more. As for right now, after getting an idea of where you are going with the plugin, I may wait for the final first commercial release before I download again.

Steve C.

Last edited by Steve Conway; 04-24-2007 at 02:18 PM.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software