RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Software Photoshop, Lightroom, Paintshop Pro, Painter, etc., and all their various plugins. Of course, you can also discuss all other programs, as well.

Perspective issue

Old 03-05-2007, 01:00 PM

Perspective issue

Hi,

Please have a look at the thumbnail picture and see if you cant tell me how to transform the object on the left to the one on the right? Sorry, I don't know how to phrase it...

I know there's a Photoshop plugin for it but I just can't remember what it's called.

Thanks,

Sylvia
Attached Images
File Type: jpg perspective.jpg (94.2 KB, 19 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-05-2007, 01:12 PM

Re: Perspective issue

You can only transform what you can see. The stand flares at the top to hold the bowl; this flare does not show on the left. The bottom of the stand can only be transformed to the right image with knowledge of its 3d shape. Photoshop only has 2d perspective tools.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-05-2007, 01:13 PM

There are a few ways to transform an image in Photoshop but unfortunately, none of these methods will transform the image on the left into the image on the right. The image on the left does not contain enough image information to produce the image on the right. There is no view in the left hand image of the side of the bowl for example. This would have to be produced in another way, either through illustration or compositing, using alternate photos/views as source images.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-05-2007, 02:32 PM

Thanks for your answers.
I'm looking for a plugin that does something similar to this one:
http://www.vertigo3d.com/dizzy/index.html
except the one I used to have had a standard format.
All you had to do was select the part you wanted to shift and you could just reposition any way you liked.
Sylvia
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-05-2007, 02:42 PM

As Panpan said, that's easier to do in a 3D space. You can't just move around a 2D image and expect the perspective to be accurate without doing a LOT of individual warping - and even then it may look bad.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-05-2007, 03:05 PM

Here is your image along with the transformed image on the right, created using only the elements appearing in the left side image. Guess how many individual warps are involved? About ten, and with nine layers. I rushed this image as an example. There is a lot of quality loss from the extreme warping needed to produce enough material to create the underside of the bowl. The image results in something which is not publishable, regardless of whether it can be done in a 2D program like Photoshop.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 43753-perspective-issue.jpg (59.3 KB, 16 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-05-2007, 03:25 PM

I understand what you're both saying, and I agree, you would have to manually reconstruct missing parts, etc.
Still, the plugin I'm talking about could completely change the perspective of objects, it was just like in a 3D game, you could lift things up, etc. Of course you still had to "rebuild" some stuff...
Sylvia
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-05-2007, 03:38 PM

There is no plugin that will do what you are saying it will - for Photoshop. As I demonstrated in my last post with the attachment, it takes multiple selective warps and will produce a soft image (in this case) which is not suitable for publishing, aside from say - a thumbnail image for the web.

If the underside of a bowl is not visible in a shot due to its perspective, a plugin (of any kind) is not going to produce the underside of the bowl for you.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-05-2007, 04:21 PM

I just found one! It's called "Andromeda Perspective Filter" and it's exactly what I wanted.
http://www.andromeda.com/main/perspective.php
Thanks for your comments/help.
Sylvia
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-05-2007, 04:33 PM

Yep, you can use that to transform a flat object like the text character example on their web page, and this is easily achieved in Photoshop as well, but the Andromeda plugin won't change the perspective of the basin on the pedestal in your original example as requested. It's still amounting to multiple selections, multiple warps and multiple layers no matter how you slice it.

Do post an example of the outcome of the Andromeda filter applied to your original example image, using the left side image to produce the image on the right.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software