RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Software Photoshop, Lightroom, Paintshop Pro, Painter, etc., and all their various plugins. Of course, you can also discuss all other programs, as well.

Who wants/needs a Glyph Palette in Photoshop?

Old 03-30-2007, 05:39 PM

Who wants/needs a Glyph Palette in Photoshop?

My name is Miguel Sousa, I'm a typeface designer and font developer working at Adobe in the Type department, and this is my debut on this forum.

I'm interested to hear your opinions about how valuable would be to have a Glyph palette in Photoshop, just like Illustrator and InDesign already have.

I am a regular on Typophile (typophile.com) — a Typography related community —, where I have started a thread about the need for this new feature, http://typophile.com/node/32683

Nonetheless, I'm interested to hear the opinion of other Photoshop users, who are less focussed on setting text with Photoshop, and I thought this forum would be a good place.

Thank you for your collaboration, your input is invaluable.

Regards,
Miguel
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-30-2007, 08:47 PM

Re: Who wants/needs a Glyph Palette in Photoshop?

since I don't have or have never used indesign or illustrator..what am I missing?
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-30-2007, 09:14 PM

It depends on the kind of work you do in Photoshop, and the fonts you use. If you don't have to set text in Photoshop, then you're not missing anything. If you have to set text in Photoshop, but you're using "standard fonts"*, you're also not missing anything. Watch this video (http://av.adobe.com/russellbrown/16TypeTipsSM.mov) to have an idea about what things you're able and unable to do with Photoshop when it comes to typography.

*Fonts that do not have alternate glyphs. All the glyphs present in the font can be inserted from the keyboard.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-31-2007, 08:58 AM

Miguel... Welcome to the RTP and thanks for your input.

I only set headline type that may require a special PS effect or special masking in Photoshop. I set all other text in InDesign.

BUT!!! If you have ANY influence regarding Type at Adobe, PLEASE take a look at the creation of "button text" (double arched in a circle) creation. I've begged for a better way of doing this in Illustrator for YEARS. I brought Terry White to his knees at an Adobe show in Orlando when I asked him how he would achieve the effect in Illustrator. After 15 minutes he was still trying! Take a look at the way it is done in FreeHand. About 4 simple (and logical) steps with full editing capability once the text is attached to the path.

I keep FreeHand on my hard drive for this (and one other function that FH does better than Illustrator). You don't KNOW how often this effect is called for in creating labels, embroidered patches, logos, etc. PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE!

Off my soap box.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software