RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Software Photoshop, Lightroom, Paintshop Pro, Painter, etc., and all their various plugins. Of course, you can also discuss all other programs, as well.

Hello/

Old 05-20-2007, 02:47 PM

Re: Hello/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Nelson View Post
.8bf is the standard Photoshop plugin suffix. If you know C you can use the Photoshop SDK (available at adobe.com) to make your own plugins. Filtermeister is another good alternative, building on the old Filter Factory language (you'll still need to learn the language, but it's easier than C).

If you are more interested in the plugins than the specific .8bf type, FilterForge is a good alternative, allowing you to make your own plugins without (as much) programming. But you'll need FilterForge installed to use any of them.
---------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks Dough Nelson, your reply is great. Yes I am not familiar with programing but good at designing,animation etc. And that is what I have been looking for a software which never ask me to learn C language first then try. But FilterForge is very costly, Filtermeister is not bad I do not know if Filtermeister is a right choice. Any advise please.

Thanks for your reply.

Ari
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-21-2007, 01:39 AM

filtermeister uses something like a scripting language. it takes a bit of learning and isnt too bad. you shld ask byRO, cameraken or stroker about filtermeister, though, for a better explanation. i've made one or two filters in it but am really just a beginner and dont even use it any more.

and the reason i dont use it any more is FilterForge (FF). FF is easy. it's very plug and play. you work with components. each component has its own unique capabilities. you simply plug them into each other to make your filter. so, you might have a brightness/contrast component plugged into a blur component and then have a filter which can blur and adjust brightness and contrast. it's really that simple. there is a nice variety of components that when plugged into each other can make some pretty spectacular filters.

there are currently over 2200 filters in the library, which are free when you buy FF. they will only work with FF. and FF has no .8bf capability, but it will work as a plugin for photoshop compatible programs or you can use it as a stand-alone program. so, the price for the professional version may seem high, but it works out to less than five cents per filter, currently... more filters are added most every day, so it will be even less as time goes on.

another great feature is that the developers will let you earn a free copy and promote this. you can download a 30 day demo which, i believe, can be extended to 90 days by contacting the developers. the earning of the free copy is based on the filters you make being used by others. they have a tracking system for doing this, which is strictly voluntary. so, it's not a spyware thing.

FF is one of the best programs i've seen in a long while. it's very intuitive, very easy to get started, extremely powerful and creative and has a very good team backing it up. they frequent their own website and are always helpful and quick to respond.

there is also a growing help section within FF and on wiki pages. but, basically, if you know photoshop, the components will be familiar to you. i already mentioned the brightness/contrast and blur. there is also a black and white points, many types of curves, perlin noise along with several other noise types, many gradient types, a very versatile frame one, a set alpha and get alpha for alpha channel work, a large number of disassemble and assemble types based on channels (rgb, hsl, lab and so on), and many more.

you can make and use filters that are used all by themselves or import images into FF and use the filter on those. or, if you're using FF as a plugin, you can simply call it up from your graphic program and use any of the filters in the library for your work in your graphic engine.

FF also contains simple and 'surface' lighting, including hdri lighting environments on the 'surface' types. you can even import your own hdri/exr lighting environments into FF for your own use.

FF will also export a number of useful 'maps' that are great for 3d work. some of these are diffuse, normal, bump and others.

i was also in the beta test. so, i've already 'won' my free copy through that. i'm also a filter maker and have three that have won rewards, which, if i didnt already have a 'free' copy, would earn a free copy. so, the program does work. i've found the FF team to be very generous in this regard. if i remember correctly, they gave out 311 free copies to testers when the testing was done. many of the folks that got them were quite surprised, thinking that they probably hadnt done enough to earn one.

and now, with the new, less expensive versions, FF is even more accessible.

it's a VERY good program!
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-21-2007, 02:51 AM

Talking Re: Hello/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraellin View Post
filtermeister uses something like a scripting language. it takes a bit of learning and isnt too bad. you shld ask byRO, cameraken or stroker about filtermeister, though, for a better explanation. i've made one or two filters in it but am really just a beginner and dont even use it any more.

and the reason i dont use it any more is FilterForge (FF). FF is easy. it's very plug and play. you work with components. each component has its own unique capabilities. you simply plug them into each other to make your filter. so, you might have a brightness/contrast component plugged into a blur component and then have a filter which can blur and adjust brightness and contrast. it's really that simple. there is a nice variety of components that when plugged into each other can make some pretty spectacular filters.

there are currently over 2200 filters in the library, which are free when you buy FF. they will only work with FF. and FF has no .8bf capability, but it will work as a plugin for photoshop compatible programs or you can use it as a stand-alone program. so, the price for the professional version may seem high, but it works out to less than five cents per filter, currently... more filters are added most every day, so it will be even less as time goes on.

another great feature is that the developers will let you earn a free copy and promote this. you can download a 30 day demo which, i believe, can be extended to 90 days by contacting the developers. the earning of the free copy is based on the filters you make being used by others. they have a tracking system for doing this, which is strictly voluntary. so, it's not a spyware thing.

FF is one of the best programs i've seen in a long while. it's very intuitive, very easy to get started, extremely powerful and creative and has a very good team backing it up. they frequent their own website and are always helpful and quick to respond.

there is also a growing help section within FF and on wiki pages. but, basically, if you know photoshop, the components will be familiar to you. i already mentioned the brightness/contrast and blur. there is also a black and white points, many types of curves, perlin noise along with several other noise types, many gradient types, a very versatile frame one, a set alpha and get alpha for alpha channel work, a large number of disassemble and assemble types based on channels (rgb, hsl, lab and so on), and many more.

you can make and use filters that are used all by themselves or import images into FF and use the filter on those. or, if you're using FF as a plugin, you can simply call it up from your graphic program and use any of the filters in the library for your work in your graphic engine.

FF also contains simple and 'surface' lighting, including hdri lighting environments on the 'surface' types. you can even import your own hdri/exr lighting environments into FF for your own use.

FF will also export a number of useful 'maps' that are great for 3d work. some of these are diffuse, normal, bump and others.

i was also in the beta test. so, i've already 'won' my free copy through that. i'm also a filter maker and have three that have won rewards, which, if i didnt already have a 'free' copy, would earn a free copy. so, the program does work. i've found the FF team to be very generous in this regard. if i remember correctly, they gave out 311 free copies to testers when the testing was done. many of the folks that got them were quite surprised, thinking that they probably hadnt done enough to earn one.

and now, with the new, less expensive versions, FF is even more accessible.

it's a VERY good program!
-----------------------------------------------------------
Kraellin first of all thank you very much for such a detailed reply. And congratulations for winning award. I am glad you replied me. After reading your answer I think I must try FF as I always create new things. I also do Beta testing but that is for flash. I am sure once I will get FF though it is costly I could do something. On Filter Forge web I have seen their 30 days offer.

One thing I am not sure about, will FF also work fine with Japanese Windows? Japanese version of Photoshop? Do you have any idea?

Your reply will be great help to me. One request is there any way to see what you have made by plugins?

Thanks

Ari
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-21-2007, 10:23 PM

Ari,

i really dont know if it will work for Japanese windows. i would think so, but that belief is unsupported by any facts or observations. and the same is true for photoshop. but, it shld be easy enough to find out by simply installing the demo. if it works, then great. if not, then at least you'll know.

also, i was reading on the FF forum today and they do indeed allow for extenstions of the demo to 90 days. you have to email their support team to get approval.

if you're asking to see my filters that i've made using FF, you can go to their website and click on the 'filters' tab. just do a search for 'craig' or 'kraellin' and you shld get a list of all my filters.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-21-2007, 10:38 PM

Cool Re: Hello/

Quote:
Ari,

i really dont know if it will work for Japanese windows. i would think so, but that belief is unsupported by any facts or observations. and the same is true for photoshop. but, it shld be easy enough to find out by simply installing the demo. if it works, then great. if not, then at least you'll know.

also, i was reading on the FF forum today and they do indeed allow for extenstions of the demo to 90 days. you have to email their support team to get approval.

if you're asking to see my filters that i've made using FF, you can go to their website and click on the 'filters' tab. just do a search for 'craig' or 'kraellin' and you shld get a list of all my filters.
------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you very much for your reply.
I have visited the FilterForge's web and got your filters WOW! they are great. I use filters and make design and thought I am GENIUS but it is not correct you are great. Specially the filter Underwater 2n is superb and then Children's wall paper is also best. After these two filters rest is great too. How could you do that. I wish I can do myself rather using ready made plugins. I am sure I will do one day.

I wish I can share my designs with rest of nice people.

Thanks once again.

Ari
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-22-2007, 12:02 AM

domo arigato, Ari-san
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-22-2007, 03:21 AM

Arrow Re: Hello/

Quote:
domo arigato, Ari-san
Dou itashimashite(Welcome)

Wow! you can speak Japanese too great.

Arigatougozaimasu(Thank you very much)

Ari
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-22-2007, 09:56 PM

that is about the only japanese i know.

oh, and konnichi wa, Ari-san
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-22-2007, 11:32 PM

Quote:
that is about the only japanese i know.

oh, and konnichi wa, Ari-san
Hello again, you knew important Japanese phrases that is great.
I have installed FF and I was looking what it can do.
I noticed there are some preset in Default. Is it ok to re edit and save or for submitting a new Plugin it should be made from scratch? What you say?

Thanks again for your cooperation.

PS* the first time when you had submitted your plugin to the forum did you make that from scratch too?

Ari
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-23-2007, 12:51 AM

Ari,

you should read the EULA (end user license agreement) that shows up when you submit a filter. that should answer most of those types of questions.

in addition to that agreement, we do borrow each other's filters or parts of filters. as you get familiar with FF you'll notice a couple of categories called 'snippets'. these were submitted by users for exactly that purpose, to be used by whomever wants to in their own filters.

however, you'll also find that there's a bit of a 'filter etiquette'. if you use part of someone else's filter, you should say something in the description of your filter that gives credit to the person that created that part you borrowed. it's just a common courtesy to do so.

and as for JUST changing the presets and re-submitting the filter, i wouldnt. change the components if you like, but if you JUST change the presets you're really not creating a new filter.

you can download filters and make your own presets and include them on the filter you downloaded, but dont just upload the same filter with new presets. someone would most likely complain and your filter would most likely not be accepted.

but if you went into the editor and re-did the filter and changed it significantly and then saved that and submitted that as a new filter, it will most likely be ok. just include something in your description that gives credit to the original maker of the filter.

i realize you do not natively speak english, so i hope we understand each other.

most of my filters are from scratch. but, i have used parts of others filters in some. if you read the descriptions of my filters you will find a few where i have given credit to others for their part of my filter.

by the way, your english is a LOT better than my japanese
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software