RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Software Photoshop, Lightroom, Paintshop Pro, Painter, etc., and all their various plugins. Of course, you can also discuss all other programs, as well.

Newbie needing advice.... CS2 or CS3 Suite

Old 05-29-2007, 12:31 PM

Re: Newbie needing advice.... CS2 or CS3 Suite

Quote:
Originally Posted by arphot View Post
I can't say for sure as I'm not familiar with your challenge with PS CS2. It seems like an isolated incident. But, I can't be sure. I'm no pro. Sorry
Thanks Arphot,

maybe it's just me. ;-)

Lil
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-01-2007, 01:18 PM

If you can get CS 2 or CS 3 for the same price....I'd just go for 3. I've been runing CS 3...and yes, it's a little crashy with Bridge...I downloaded the update yesterday, but this morning, still encountered problems that got sent in to Adobe. It's Adobe...they will work it out. More updates to come I'm sure.

I guess I wouldn't start out a version behind...especially if I was just learning it. If you find out you love it and you're going to stick with the program, you're just going to have to shell out more money for CS 3 down the road.

The update in CS 3 for smart objects alone is just too cool!

Have fun.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-01-2007, 01:25 PM
Janitor

The only possible downside I can imagine for going with CS3 is that CS3 users can't really share files with CS2 users, even with Maximize Compatibility turned on. CS3 can read CS2 files just fine, and my info is for Photoshop only, I have no idea how the other suite apps behave. You also can't use actions from another version, but that's usually the case between versions. If that isn't a deal-killer, I'd go with CS3. The toolbar and palletes can be made to match CS2 if it helps her learn in class, and all procedures for older versions can be used.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-01-2007, 01:27 PM

Hi dmrdm,

I did some PP in CS3 with a friend yesterday - I'm making an ad for her for horse massage. I like it.

I like it's interface as it doesn't make me frustrated at all.

My daughter seems to agree so I'm buying her CS3 & will borrow it when I need it.

I'm with you, why start out a version behind, especially after having tried them both & found CS2 didn't work with me, but CS3 does.

Thanks for the feedback.

Lil
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-01-2007, 01:29 PM

Hi Doug,

was Adobe originally a Mac program? In PCs I have not ever run into the problem of a later version not reading an earlier version, but programs which originated in Mac I've run into this before.

Lil
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-01-2007, 01:33 PM
Janitor

Photoshop did start out on the Mac, but that's not the problem. CS3 is the first version in recent memory that generates files not easily readable by older versions. There were just too many changes, particularly with adjustment layers. With max. compat. on anyone will still be able to open the file, but they might only see a flattened version of the image (depending on what the file contains).
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-02-2007, 12:24 AM

Smile Thanks Doug Re: Newbie needing advice.... CS2 or CS3 Suite

Well, that won't matter to us as we have no earlier version. Then I would also guess that the CS3 version will reflect the future, so that would be another good reason for buying it. Thanks

Lil
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-04-2007, 05:41 AM

The interface doesn't bother me either. Been getting along with it fine.

If you get CS 3, don't forget to register it - when you register it, they give you an option to pick a free item. I took the 31 day free on-line classes at Lynda.com. Making my way through all of the photoshop tuts. (assume Adobe gives this for the academic version, but don't know that for a fact).

Have fun!
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-04-2007, 06:07 AM

I, too, got a freebie choice when I bought CS2 (Academic Version). You could get some of their video tuts, a couple of free mags (either Layers or Photoshop User Magazine). I chose the magazines and subscribed to Layers.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software