RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Software Photoshop, Lightroom, Paintshop Pro, Painter, etc., and all their various plugins. Of course, you can also discuss all other programs, as well.

Newbie needing advice.... CS2 or CS3 Suite

Old 05-21-2007, 04:50 PM

Newbie Newbie needing advice.... CS2 or CS3 Suite

Hi ,
I'm testing CS2 right now for my daughter & I. She's a college student as a state university. She needs it for school & I can then use it as well off her computer now & then . Anyhow, we're both testing CS2 just now & as CS3 has just been released & so now the question is. I can buy PS CS3 suite for her for $ 389.98 or I can try to get a CS2 through Amazon.com for almost the same amount of money. What should I do?

Thanks,

Lil
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-21-2007, 07:16 PM

Re: Newbie needing advice.... CS2 or CS3 Suite

Lil.. At this point, get out as cheap as you can. If you both are just starting to learn, CS2 is sufficient. You'll have your plate full. There are some issues with CS3 running on a PC (both Win and Vista) so if you are not a geek, CS2 is pretty solid in Win XP.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-21-2007, 07:18 PM

Thanks Swampy....

What kind of issues do you know of, if you know? I'm presently running XP. I know you're on a Mac... But you may have heard or read.

Lil
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-21-2007, 07:35 PM

Been reading about how crashy Bridge is, some strange brush behavior with certain colors, especially green and cyan. Loss of scan functions (Twain acquire issues). Printer driver issues and loss of certain functions such as setting custom paper sizes. Installation and authorization problems (even for folks who never installed the PS Beta).

I hang out over on the NAPP (National Associaltion for Photoshop Professionals) and see problems with CS3 posted daily. Of course there are always people with problems and often they are associated with a specific user's setup, but I'm seeing a lot of general complaints about CS3 and especially the Bridge.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-21-2007, 07:51 PM

OK, good to know. So I'll talk with her. If CS2 is good enough, which we can't get through her school, then that's the way to go.

Thanks for being so helpful.

Lil
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-28-2007, 06:53 AM

CS2 is going to be fine as a lot of schools are even behind in PS versions. Until CS3 is tuned up, CS2 is a great version. Kirk
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-28-2007, 12:58 PM

Thanks for your input Kirk. I tested CS2 & could not get it to do what I wanted the way I wanted & got frustrated. Downloaded CS3 & started it up yesterday & seem to be communicating far better with it for some reason. Makes no sense really, but I seem to....

I've sound an online place we can order it for her at a good deal, so based upon how I communicated with CS2 I am more inclined to order CS3.

Is it just me???

Lil
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-28-2007, 01:38 PM

Quote:
I tested CS2 & could not get it to do what I wanted the way I wanted & got frustrated... Based upon how I communicated with CS2 I am more inclined to order CS3.

Is it just me???
The CS3 interface is somewhat different. Is that what you mean my "communicating with CS3"?

CS3 = CS2 + some added features, plus the upgraded Bridge and RAW converter. Unless there is a need for CS3-specific features, then CS2 should be fine. But it will be harder to get.

If Photoshop is being used for specific courses, the instruction may be version specific. That might or might not be an issue, depending on what's being taught, and may warrent inspection of course syllabus.

The CS3 suite is fine if the other applictions will be used at some point. If she just needs Photoshop CS3, it can be had for ~$275 (academic), perhaps less from her school's student store.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-28-2007, 01:38 PM

I can't say for sure as I'm not familiar with your challenge with PS CS2. It seems like an isolated incident. But, I can't be sure. I'm no pro. Sorry
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-29-2007, 11:51 AM

Hi Danny,

it might well be that it's the interface which agrees with me more. She seems to agree. We're trying to find out if she'll need the suite or just Photoshop. Right now it actually seems to be just Photoshop. We're also trying to find out if she's supposed to have CS2 or CS3 from her teacher. I guess ultimately it'll come down to which version her class will cover.

Thanks, Lil
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software