RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Software Photoshop, Lightroom, Paintshop Pro, Painter, etc., and all their various plugins. Of course, you can also discuss all other programs, as well.

safari beta 3 open, windows boxes as well

Old 06-11-2007, 07:24 PM

safari beta 3 open, windows boxes as well

ok, windows users rejoice, another glorious mac app has been ported to the windows world

www.apple.com/safari

THe last browser you will ever use.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-12-2007, 11:35 PM

Re: safari beta 3 open, windows boxes as well

thanks, photo678

an odd thing occurred after i downloaded it. i went browsing the site to find out more about the new iphone, which looks impressive. i happened to allow their activex popup and winpatrol pops up a minute later and tells me that a new program wants to install in my startup routine. now, that seemed quite odd to me. the task/app was quicktime, the exe being qttask.exe. now, i'm pretty sure i have quicktime already installed but i always disable things like from my startup, since i only use them once in a while. but, i just had to wonder why an activex control was trying to add something to my startup. that just didnt seem right and now puts me off from installing safari. (i didnt allow the addition).
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-12-2007, 11:48 PM
Janitor

The good news is that it reads color profiles in JPG images.
The bad news is that some major security holes have already been found and at least one has already been exploited.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-12-2007, 11:58 PM

Thanks for that Doug. I have a few questions. How big is Safari? Will take up a lot of space on my hard drive? If I don't uninstall IE and have both Safari and IE on my computer will it slow my computer down? This is the Beta version. Presumably I will have to buy the completed version at some later stage when it is completed (if I like it) or could I just carry on using the Beta version?

Sincerely Syd
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-13-2007, 12:14 AM

syd,

i cant speak personally on safari, but i've used several different browsers on the same machine before and they've never interfered with each other, even when all open at the same time.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-13-2007, 12:17 AM

Thanks Craig. Would RAM play a factor here? How much RAM do you have? I only have 1Gb. Is that enough?

Syd
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-13-2007, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraellin View Post
thanks, photo678

an odd thing occurred after i downloaded it. i went browsing the site to find out more about the new iphone, which looks impressive. i happened to allow their activex popup and winpatrol pops up a minute later and tells me that a new program wants to install in my startup routine. now, that seemed quite odd to me. the task/app was quicktime, the exe being qttask.exe. now, i'm pretty sure i have quicktime already installed but i always disable things like from my startup, since i only use them once in a while. but, i just had to wonder why an activex control was trying to add something to my startup. that just didnt seem right and now puts me off from installing safari. (i didnt allow the addition).
qttask, is in fact the quicktime controller......by default, it is installed when you install quicktime, and starts up with the os, unless you msconfig it and uncheck it.

After poking around a little bit, i think, safari uses a newer qttask.exe, and basically was trying to update your older one....

As for the security issues...yes, they have been found....hence the point of a beta....i wouldn't make this your sole browser just yet, but test it out, see if you like it, etc etc.

Apple will NOT be charging for safari (as near as I know), word round the campfire is it will be bundled with the itunes/quicktime download...

the reason for safari coming to windows is twofold, one for webstandards, two, iphone os is basically based on safari, 3rd party developer apps that will be made, will now be easily tested on a windows machine....make sense?
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-13-2007, 12:33 AM
Patron

Does Safari support the full PNG standard? If so, it will be worth a look.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-13-2007, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkroll View Post
Does Safari support the full PNG standard? If so, it will be worth a look.
always has, transparency and all ;-)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-17-2007, 11:08 PM

thanks, photo678. yes, i'm familiar with qttask. it's sort of the principle of the thing. i just dont like the idea that someone is trying to install something or turn something on or off on my computer when i download something. had i actually installed something, i might have expected such an action, but on a download? that just always sends alarms ringing in my head, especially when they (whomever) does it without saying anything. in an age of software pirates, hackers, script-kiddies and malware artists, i would just think Apple would be a bit smarter about doing something covert like this. at least alert me.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software