RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Software Photoshop, Lightroom, Paintshop Pro, Painter, etc., and all their various plugins. Of course, you can also discuss all other programs, as well.

Your favorite utilities

Old 06-12-2007, 10:57 AM
Janitor

Your favorite utilities

I use a lot of little utility apps. But they quickly age and get replaced by better. What are some of your current favorite utility programs?

I currently use Diskeeper, Registry Mechanic, Winrar, UltraEdit, FTP Voyager, Bulk Rename, and several others (but those are my faves).
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-12-2007, 01:30 PM

Re: Your favorite utilities

I use exiftool along with a perl script to read the proprietary lens information from my camera files, translate to an ascii description of the lens, then write it back to the "standard" exif lens field so it's visible to applications besides the one that came with the camera.

Filezilla for ftp.
Vim for text file editing.
Registry Mechanic.

Bart
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-12-2007, 03:25 PM

Foxit Reader 2.0 (Freeware) Lighting fast replacement for horrible Acrobat/Adobe Reader.

FTP Commander (Freeware Simple FTP software. Best free one that i have tested.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-12-2007, 03:37 PM

Gas and Electric
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-12-2007, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Nelson View Post
I use a lot of little utility apps. But they quickly age and get replaced by better. What are some of your current favorite utility programs?

I currently use Diskeeper, Registry Mechanic, Winrar, UltraEdit, FTP Voyager, Bulk Rename, and several others (but those are my faves).
Hi Doug, and now you can use Safari on your Windows box LOL

Margaret
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-12-2007, 05:09 PM

Ant, you crack me up! LOL
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-12-2007, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant View Post
Gas and Electric
Very dry humour Ant - no water!!!!!

Peter
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-12-2007, 06:12 PM

Some of the utilities I use aren't really intended to be utilities.

Images can be resized in Apple's mail.app. Just drop an image on the mail icon and a new message will open with the image in the body of the message. Down in the right-hand corner is a little pop-up menu that lets you set the size of the image - normal, small, medium or large - then I send the email to myself and it arrives 2 seconds later in the size I picked. Why bother you ask? well, I always have Mail running and the whole operation takes less time than firing up PSE or trying to find the dozens of other image manipulation apps I have.

For those who do web design/publishing etc., the new version of Safari has a neat "web inspector" you can invoke it using the right-click or ctrl-click contextual menu. You need to have the "Debug" menu turned on first - if you want to know more, let me know and I'll try to remember how I did it.

I also have a bunch of color utilities but for most things, I use Mac's color picker which is far more capable than you might think at first blush.

I use Pasteboard for keeping a running list of anything I copy or cut. It seems to go on forever, I should check to see if I can set it.

A little thing called "Free Ruler" is a ruler that you can move around for measuring things - valuable for web development.

MousePose is good for finding your mouse on a big screen and for showing the location of the mouse while teaching. Also for teaching, the Universal access preferences pane has some useful tools. On my PowerBook, I can zoom in just by holding down the ctrl key and dragging my fingers across the trackpad. I can set how I want it to zoom in the preferences pane.

There are also several apps - ScribbleScreen is one - that sit in front of all open windows and you can draw on the "ScribbleScreen" the the sportscasters do on tv to explain a play in football or hockey.

When I browse through my applications folder, I see a gazillion apps, but I'm hard pressed to come up with a way that I use most of them. The ones listed above are the ones I use and as you see, most of them are part of OSX (Tiger)

Margaret
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-12-2007, 06:16 PM

PTFB Pro - Press the 'flippin' button. Auto replies to annoying messages.
Bulk rename utility
Foxit Reader
Roboform (auto form filler, password generator/keeper)
WMAConvert - Convert MP4 files from iTunes to MP3
Kaspersky antivirus
Printkey2000 - screen grabber
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-13-2007, 03:42 AM

Pawsoft FASS
Allows me to compile posts offline or view them before I post. Compile screen is larger than that on most online viewers, so it's easier to view.

Phrase Express
Enables me to keep a whole lot of phrases I use regularly, and paste them easily into any posts I need them in.

MWSnap
My screen capture utility.

WhoIsView
Useful for looking up addresses and website info.

Registrar Lite
My Registry Editor of choice, has a few useful tools that don't come with the standard M$ offering.

SIW
Gives you more details about things on your computer than you ever want to know. Need to know what driver you've got installed for a device, what MoBo you're using SIW tells all.

Cryptainer LE
Gives me an encrypted "vault" where I can keep data I don't want others to access. Free version only stores 25 M in any one vault, though you can have more than one vault. Paid version allows larger capacity vaults.

All above utilities are free (I'm a Yorkshireman, and therefore only second to a Scot in my parsimony).

Like others, I also use Foxit Reader for PDF files. Got rid of the resource hogging bloat of Adobe Reader long ago, and have never regretted it.

Last edited by Gary Richardson; 06-13-2007 at 03:53 AM.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software