RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Software Photoshop, Lightroom, Paintshop Pro, Painter, etc., and all their various plugins. Of course, you can also discuss all other programs, as well.

Powerful Inpainting Tool

Old 07-05-2007, 05:40 PM

Powerful Inpainting Tool

Hi, I would like to present you my latest inpainting and recovery tool,
See: www.magicinpainter.com

It is designed for text-removal of images, however as you can see from the examples on the site, it works for big objects too. The tool requires to know what you are doing so first read the manual . It uses unique algorithms which you will not found in Photoshop CS and it plug-ins.

I am open for your suggestions, comments or critics.

Last edited by maginp; 07-05-2007 at 05:52 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-05-2007, 07:06 PM
Janitor

Re: Powerful Inpainting Tool

I've been very interested in the progress of inpainting tools. I hope several people try your demo and report back here.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-05-2007, 08:45 PM

welcome to RP, maginp.

i'm moving your post down to the software forum. you might also wish to add a link to your pages in our links library.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-09-2007, 04:58 AM

Ok, sorry I am new here. I will put link in the library.

I should note that I am here not to make sells but rather to participate in discussions about inpainting, reconstruction, syntesis..., I know that the tool may be improved a lot but for a first shot I think that it works very well (compared with photoshop clone and similar software).
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-09-2007, 10:08 AM
Janitor

Is there a size limitation on the original image? I tried it on an 800x1600 image and ran into several irregularities (buttons wouldn't work, zoom showed blank gray screen, etc.).
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-09-2007, 06:18 PM

There is no limitation on image size but the working window (where you are inpainting) should not be much bigger then 40000 pixels. There may be slight problems with the gui, sorry. But since I am 100% producer of this tool I can fix everything if you give me a detail feedback.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-11-2007, 07:42 PM

Besides the GUI problems.....

The tool works very well. I am impressed (that takes a lot).
I have been restoring a "nightmare" image with this tool and soon I hope to post a result.
It seems, for restoration at least, that the best technique is to zoom in and do a small piece at a time.
- Two comments:
I really really really miss having a pan function. It's tiresome to have to zoom out, select, zoom in. (or did I miss it);
- No Undo. I can't remember a program that doesn't have Undo. (or did I miss that too?)

Congratulations, great tool

Reply With Quote top
Old 07-11-2007, 09:33 PM
Janitor

It would be nice if the pan feature worked the same as Photoshop (ie: hold the spacebar and drag the image).

It would also be nice if it worked as a Photoshop plugin.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-11-2007, 10:26 PM

It would be nice if we could save - but that needs $$$

Here's my trial image. As you can see I haven't finished (but if I could pan, I would have [nudge, nudge]).
I did not use anything except the inpainting tool.
Using "normal" methods this would be quite a handful but the patterns on the clothing came out "almost" perfect.

Obs:
1) The 40.000 pixels warning is nice, but it could be "context-sensitive". At LOD=0 you might have time for a cup of coffee but at LOD=3 the same area might take only a few seconds.
2) Found the Undo - looks more like a stop sign, though.
3) Pan and Zoom - just like Photoshop: Why not?
4) The "Erase" button name is confusing (to me, at least): Am I marking the image or erasing the mask?
5) The "Erase" and "Line" buttons should be "Radio" buttons; push one and the other pops out. As they are it's a bit tricky changing from one to the other;
6) The size of the Eraser/Marker is also tricky to change and a visual clue as to the present size (before painting) would be nice (yeah, like PS).

The workings of the tool seem to be fine (although it did leave some traces of the mask colour) - the problem to solve is the GUI.

(Just remembered: Seems to me that LOD=3 ought to be the more detailed option, and not LOD=0 - a Higher Level of Detail)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Nene-Orig.jpg (98.8 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg Nene-Inpaint.jpg (97.7 KB, 31 views)

Last edited by byRo; 07-11-2007 at 10:28 PM. Reason: PS
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-13-2007, 04:19 AM

Thanks for your suggestions, recommendations and feedback.
Yes you are right, there is some buttons which images are inapproprait, the warning about 40 000 pixs may not be necessary for LOD>0, I agree,
your other quetions -
2) it is not undo but rather reset button, currently there is no undo for drawings, you draw with the left button and un-draw with the right, but I will change the button image Ok
3)Zoom - this two buttons have different behavior then the zoom in Paint,Photoshop..., you make the selection your main image and then you can go back with the other button, what correspond to Zoom is the "Detail View" - the first button, however up to now I had write support for 3 modes only - fit to screen, real view and detail(pixel) view.
4) you are drawing on the image, the color should be unique for the image,
this is the easier way to work then using another mask layer, there is 16777216 different colors on your screen so you had a lot of choice for unique color, in this way you can draw over the image with another software and to remove the defects using only Paste/Copy (no need from second image with mask)
5,6) - yes you are right I will add it to my bugs list

Thanks again for the testing of the tool. I can't do anything in exchange then maybe to send you the full version. And I can add you to my support & updates list so you will get for free the version with the corrections too.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software