RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Software Photoshop, Lightroom, Paintshop Pro, Painter, etc., and all their various plugins. Of course, you can also discuss all other programs, as well.

Startup help

Old 07-14-2007, 10:34 AM

Re: Startup help

I did say check your floppy drives . However I can see how you might have overlooked it (bet you check them all next time ).

A hard lesson to learn though. Might I suggest a cattle prod is the most painful way to admonish your son. .
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-14-2007, 12:09 PM

Thanks Gary...no I have a good kid...just stupid errors all around. I totally forgot about that drive. As mentioned, it is at the bottom of my tower behind a flip down panel...I never go there. Today is painful trying to reload and remember all that was lost. I've been wanting to clean up my hard drive!
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-14-2007, 12:21 PM

Hi Skydog

A tough and time consuming lesson.

An 'expert' should have spotted this straight away.

On most PC's it is possible to switch off 'boot from floppy' in the bios to avoid this problem ever happening again. (It would also speed up the boot process and make your PC more secure)

You will need to check your computer's manual on the procedure to do so (as each computer is different), but typically you can either disable the A: drive's boot ability, or set the computer's boot sequence from A:-C: to C:-A, that is, boot from the hard disk first.

Or you may wish to wedge the cattle prod into the floppy drive slot

Hope this helps

Ken.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-14-2007, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skydog View Post
Thanks Gary...no I have a good kid...just stupid errors all around. I totally forgot about that drive. As mentioned, it is at the bottom of my tower behind a flip down panel...I never go there. Today is painful trying to reload and remember all that was lost. I've been wanting to clean up my hard drive!
Only kidding about the cattle prod , don't suppose for a moment what happened was deliberate.

Been there with the reloading, it's always a pain and it's always amazing just how much stuff you forget you've got until you lose it.

Luckily I'm fanatically organised about keeping all my software installers, and backing up all the stuff I use regularly. I have stuff backed up to USB drives and secondary DVD backups just in case of problems with the USB drives.

All my personal files and pics are backed up to archive quality discs and I usually have hard copies of all the pics as well (or at least all the ones I'm bothered about).

At least you didn't lose your pics, so every cloud does have at least in some part a silver lining.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-16-2007, 04:38 PM

weekend nightmare...just had to share...

Points often discussed on formum
Always have a backup. - for my photos, fortunately, I keep two.
Always backup your favorites
Create a restoration DVD of you system
Keep a log of all your programs, plugins and serial keys
Keep organized copy of all programs and updates - you never know when a someone goes out of business.

Quick summary: 74 Windows upgrades and 63 Sony V10 computer upgrades for factory installed software...this took most of Friday and Sat morning.

After upgrades and restoration, I realized all the original software was not there. Upon search the web for the software (which is no longer available) I found that Sony had a probem with the restoration CD and a patch was available on the Sony website. I had to download the fix, create a new restoration CD (2 hours) restore and then download 74 window upgrades and 63 Sony V10 computer upgrades. On top of all this, I made another fatal error...I failed to unplug my external hard drive (backup) when I did the restore. The restore corrupted my external drive...my computer now wants to reformat my drive but I feel confident that the data is there, I just now have to figure out how to get it - again thankfully i have two backups...but I am missing some favorite music which is on the corrupted backup drive. That was basically my weekend...now on to uploading all the my software and plugins,etc.

I don't wish this experience on anyone...

On the positive side, I have clean internal drives and I'm now better organized!
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-16-2007, 05:13 PM

Owwww!

I feel for you. Hope you had a fast connection for all your updates, it'd take me days with the wet string connection I've got.

It wouldn't really cos I'd use my brother in laws connection to DL them and then blow em to disk, he owes me for all the times I've fixed his box.

Painful news for your external drive though, always, always, always check the small details before hitting the go button (100% hindsight is a wonderful thing), but I bet you never need telling that in the future.

Still now you're organised any future mishaps won't seem so bad (lets hope you don't have any).
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-27-2007, 03:56 PM

After two weeks I'm about 95% back. Another suggestion...save all upgrades of any software to a "backup program upgrade folder" and make sure the upgrade is clearly identified...trust me...it will save you a lot of time if you have this folder.

I made one other FATAL mistake. When I did a "system restore" which took my computer back to the state when it was first purchased, I failed to unplug my 500 GB external "backup" hard drive. When I restarted the computer, the hard drive was no longer acknowledged. The computer wanted to format it. This I didn't do!..I knew the data was still there. I just had to find a way to access it. I have gotten hold of a RECOVERY PROGRAM which has allowed me to retrive all my photos and mp3s. The downside is that nothing is organized or identified. Is any one alway of a RECOVERY PROGRAM that also identifies the item...like an mp3..I've lost the name of the song, the artist and the album.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-27-2007, 04:34 PM

http://www.cgsecurity.org/

If you know of something better let me know. This software was "free" and did find all recover all my files...however...nothing was identified or dated.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-27-2007, 04:51 PM

>>>>> The computer wanted to format it. This I didn't do!..I knew the data was still there. I just had to find a way to access it.

The drive couldn't be treated as a new hardware addition? I've never added a hard drive to a system, but it must be a simple task.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-27-2007, 05:29 PM

My computer no longer acknowledges the data on the drive. I believe the drive's allocation table must be corrupt.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg computer issues.jpg (25.9 KB, 4 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software