RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Software Photoshop, Lightroom, Paintshop Pro, Painter, etc., and all their various plugins. Of course, you can also discuss all other programs, as well.

PSP9 or PSPXI?

Old 07-13-2007, 11:09 PM

Re: PSP9 or PSPXI?

xntrik, i dont know if i'm missing something here about the link you provided, but it seems to be talking about using actions in photoshop elements, not psp.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-14-2007, 08:04 AM

Oops, guess I was having a blonde moment....I am so sorry as I'm not normally a ditz. Thanks for letting me know.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-14-2007, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xntrik View Post
Oops, guess I was having a blonde moment....I am so sorry as I'm not normally a ditz. Thanks for letting me know.
Craig is an old hand at PSP as am I, so he probably would be interested in the
possibility of using atn files in PSP also.

I can understand you're mistaking PSE for PSP.

No big thing. Thank you anyway.

Steve C.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-14-2007, 01:58 PM

Sorry for getting my forums crossed... I think I can still blame it on my newbie status and being in information overload.

Annabelle
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-15-2007, 12:08 AM

xntrik, no problemo, dude.

and like steve said, i've looked into converting ps actions to psp scripts, but it's more than just translating. photoshop is a much broader, complicated program than psp. even if you translated the .atn's into psp script, you wouldnt be able to access half the stuff in there because psp doesnt have it. so, it would be kind of a pointless endeavor.

but, psp scripts are quite useful, easy to make and editable. so, there's another reason not to bother.

and as for the original question, psp xi is worth getting. it certainly didnt have everything i would have wanted. in fact, some of it is sort of weird. i cant imagine who they are polling to come up with some of the additions they put in there. but, going from 9 to 11 shld see some nice changes. the biggest jump was probably 8 to 9. a lot of good stuff got added then. 9 to 10 was a bit disappointing as was 10 to 11, but 9 to 11 shld be worth it. it's sort of a good policy to skip every other upgrade.

so, if you're jumping from 8 to 11, i'd say go for it in a second.

prices shld be pretty good too, especially if you look around a bit. i think i got the 10 to 11 upgrade for around $50 to $55 and that was when it first came out. so, shld be even better now.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-15-2007, 07:14 AM

Thanks for not making me feel totally dumb - I feel better about my confusion. I use both PSPXI and Photshop Elements 5, have the shortcuts side by side, switch back and forth as each does things the other doesn't ...anyway, thanks.

I do have a question regarding writing an action to be used in Photoshop Elements. I purchased an action and I would love to know how to create a similiar one that I could use in my own work comercially (I asked but they don't offer a license). I understand the concept of writing actions but am a total newbie at it. Is this the correct forum to find someone who could at least point me in the right direction? The action is one that creates a multiple curled or torn effect on whatever image you place on top of a "stack" made up of a base, a curl image which I believe is a scan of an actual curl, and a " top"layer. If that vague description doesn't help I could post an image of the desired effect or something...... thanks.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-28-2007, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquilsea View Post
I am going to upgrade before I start monkeying around with these photos. Is it worth it to upgrade to PSPXI?

I am currently using PSP8 and can upgrade that programme to PSP9...how is PSPXI different?

Annabelle
I actually found this topic while doing a search on converting Photoshop actions into PSP actions which I guess cannot be done but you happened to mention PSP 8 vs 9 vs XI and I first wanted to ask if you decided on what you were getting and how you like it and also give my 2 cents for what it's worth...

I've been using PSP since way back when since every time I would try Photoshop it would take forever to do anything. However as my graphic technique style moved forward and I learned more I broke down and have started using Adobe. That being said I could not live without PSP 9 personally but that's because it has a feature that they took out once Corel took over the Jasc program. I purchased IX and it sits on a system that I use every once in a while in case I need it - now they've just come out with version XII which I just downloaded the trial of and I have to say that for photo re-touching and whatnot it's hand down some of the best stuff. Very easy to use and you get a lot of great stuff not to mention the amount of tutorials and documentation they have for learning new things.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-01-2007, 02:42 PM

riotdorque,

you may well be able to get back that one item you mentioned losing. every version of paint shop pro since at least version 9 comes with a 'bring forward' feature. you can bring those items and features you liked in a previous version forward to the current version. open up xi or x or whatever you have since ix, and go to 'view/customize'. a little window will open up that allows you to customize your current version, including bringing older features up into the newer version.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-12-2007, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraellin View Post
riotdorque,

you may well be able to get back that one item you mentioned losing. every version of paint shop pro since at least version 9 comes with a 'bring forward' feature. you can bring those items and features you liked in a previous version forward to the current version. open up xi or x or whatever you have since ix, and go to 'view/customize'. a little window will open up that allows you to customize your current version, including bringing older features up into the newer version.
Ok I am begging you please please give me more information on this I've gone into Customize but I cannot figure out where this might be. It seems silly but this would be major and would allow me to upgrade I just love that "roll the dice" feature soooo much.

In Customize it has: Commands, Toolbars, Keyboard, Menu, Options, Scripts

Any further info on this would well..make this girl a very happy happy girl - thank you
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-12-2007, 11:08 PM

ok, the customize works like this, open it up by using the menu system. pick the 'commands' tab at the top of the window and scroll down to 'all commands'. this will load all the various commands you have available to add. the system is a drag and drop. click and hold on the command on the right side you want to add and simply drag it into the menu location, in the main menu bar, where you want the command to be.

so, if you wanted to add the 'black and white points' into your 'adjust' menu under 'color', simply left click on the 'black and white points' in the window and drag it up into 'adjust', 'color' and release.

that's it. that's all there is to it
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software