RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Software Photoshop, Lightroom, Paintshop Pro, Painter, etc., and all their various plugins. Of course, you can also discuss all other programs, as well.

PSP9 or PSPXI?

Old 07-10-2007, 11:56 AM

PSP9 or PSPXI?

I am going to upgrade before I start monkeying around with these photos. Is it worth it to upgrade to PSPXI?

I am currently using PSP8 and can upgrade that programme to PSP9...how is PSPXI different?

Annabelle
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-10-2007, 03:21 PM

Re: PSP9 or PSPXI?

Hi, While I'm a new member, this is only my second post, I can tell you that PSPXI is fabulous fun. If you want to add actions or brushes or layers - almost all the regular Photoshop 7 ones will work. My recommendation tho is to go to a site called http://www.graficalicus.com and purchase his Graffi's Add-O-Matic. All you do to add things to the proper folder is drag the .atn or whatever files to the Add-O-Matic and it puts them in the right folder or tells you if they won't work with the program. I used Photoshop for years and never had as much fun as with PSPXI. I admit, I never used PSP9 but don't see how it could get any better. Hope this little bit helps. Linda
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-10-2007, 03:31 PM

Well, I'm on PS CS 3 now, but I didn't care for PSP 8 at all. I loved 7, hated 8 and I really LOVED 9. I used 10 when it came out for a few months. I would say if you are still on 8, go for it. It's time for an upgrade. Watch Best Buy, COMP USA, those type of places, they have good sales on it from time to time.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-10-2007, 05:43 PM

So is the PSPXI just an upgrade on PSP10 or a totally new programme?
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-12-2007, 12:23 AM

this is the restoration forum. this conversation is better suited for the software forums, where you can find other similar threads and discussions, including some on versions of psp.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-12-2007, 06:28 AM

About the only good thing (IMHO, of course) for me that exist in PSP XI but not in 9 is some 16 bits per channel images support. Far from being perfect, far from being complete, but there is some.

When testing XI, I was disapponted by UI changes and the fact that some of the old features are more or less hidden, in favour of new ones which a "more user friendly" but less controllable and accurate.

Again, it is only my personal opinion. Many other people like PSP XI. For a better picture, I'd suggest you taking a look at forums at Corel - look for problem reports and see how many of the problems may be critical to you.

What as to version 9, about the only useful thing added as compared to version 8 that I remember was digital color noise removal filter. Pretty suitable under some circumstances.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-12-2007, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xntrik View Post
Hi, While I'm a new member, this is only my second post, I can tell you that PSPXI is fabulous fun. If you want to add actions or brushes or layers - almost all the regular Photoshop 7 ones will work. My recommendation tho is to go to a site called http://www.graficalicus.com and purchase his Graffi's Add-O-Matic. All you do to add things to the proper folder is drag the .atn or whatever files to the Add-O-Matic and it puts them in the right folder or tells you if they won't work with the program. I used Photoshop for years and never had as much fun as with PSPXI. I admit, I never used PSP9 but don't see how it could get any better. Hope this little bit helps. Linda
I use PSP 9 and was not aware that PS actions would work in any version of PSP. Could you elaborate a little more on this?

Steve C.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-12-2007, 07:03 PM

I have both PSP 3.0 and PSP XI. AV Brothers Page Curl Pro 2.1 and their Puzzle Pro 2.0 work in PSP XI. Redfield plug-in's automatically install into PSP 3.0 and could probably be used in XI, but I haven't tried to add them. I've also added some brushes to XI and to 3.0. I switch between PSP and Photoshop Elements 5.0 depending on what I want to do. Elements lacks some of the features I love in PSP and visa versa. I'm not sure, but I think Panos also has plug-ins that work in PSP.... Hope this helps. Linda
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-13-2007, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xntrik View Post
I have both PSP 3.0 and PSP XI. AV Brothers Page Curl Pro 2.1 and their Puzzle Pro 2.0 work in PSP XI. Redfield plug-in's automatically install into PSP 3.0 and could probably be used in XI, but I haven't tried to add them. I've also added some brushes to XI and to 3.0. I switch between PSP and Photoshop Elements 5.0 depending on what I want to do. Elements lacks some of the features I love in PSP and visa versa. I'm not sure, but I think Panos also has plug-ins that work in PSP.... Hope this helps. Linda
You are right., I have no problem with the 8BF plugins working in PSP, but have never heard of a way to use the actions (atn files) in any version of PSP. Would be nice to be able to do this.

Like you, I also use PSE, but sparingly. Having just found a way to use actions in version 4, makes it useful from time to time.

Steve C.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-13-2007, 08:23 PM

Steve, I just located a site that might be of interest on the ways to access Photoshop actions in all versions of PSP. I didn't read the entire thing but you can check it out at: http://graphicssoft.about.com/od/pse...qt/actions.htm
I'm no expert but usually try any actions that interest me.... Let me know if this helps...
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software