RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Software Photoshop, Lightroom, Paintshop Pro, Painter, etc., and all their various plugins. Of course, you can also discuss all other programs, as well.

Copy and Paste in XP

Old 03-09-2002, 07:30 AM

Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
Copy and Paste in XP

Greg submitted a recipe for spicy pita chips. Most of the amounts of ingredients were listed as fractions of a teaspoon. It wouldn't print properly from the site, so I copied it and opened a new text document to paste into. I printed it out, and gave it to my wife. She told me there was something wrong with the recipe, and on checking, I found that 1/8 teaspoon of cayenne pepper printed out as 18 teaspoon cayenne pepper. HOT!! All ingredients printed as whole numbers instead of fractions. Just thought I'd let you know before you set your house on fire.

Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-09-2002, 10:57 AM

Ed,
I can't figure out what's wrong because I have XP and when I did a copy and paste of Gregs recipe into Microsoft Word the measurements came out as 1/4 or 1/8 etc. I can't even imagine why copying it to your word document would eliminate the back slashes between the fractions. That's strange.
DJ
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-09-2002, 09:26 PM

Hmmm, maybe I have a software problem? I've copied text on several occasions, but I can't paste it into Word (but I'm not very familiar with it). It will paste into notepad though. It should paste into Word too, shouldn't it?

Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-09-2002, 09:45 PM

I have noticed something with Word that is kind of wierd though. I will highlight something when I'm on the net and copy it, then I open Word and go to paste it and notice that the paste is greyed out as if there is nothing on the clipboard. So I go back to the page I copied from and recopy it then go back to Word and paste is available. This only happens when I copy something first before opening the Word program. If Word is already open, I don't have that problem. Don't know if that is similar to what's happening to you but if nothing else, you know you aren't the only frustrated user. Maybe you need to dust off that hammer again.
DJ
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-10-2002, 10:34 AM

Thanks Debbie. Maybe I won't need the hammer if I open Word first. I never tried it that way, and I never tried to copy text twice before pasting. I'll give it a try.

Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-10-2002, 10:12 PM

Debbie,

I tried to copy and paste text from a web page with Word already open. It worked just fine like you said. I wonder why it needs to be opened first? But I guess the important thing is that now we know how to do it! Thanks again.

Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-11-2002, 02:43 PM

Now that makes me wonder if it's an XP thing. I figured that what I discovered with Word using XP might be the same thing happening to you. Yes, it is kind of wierd. But at least it's something we are aware of now and can work with.
DJ
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-12-2002, 09:52 PM

Hi Ed and DJ,

I have Office 97 on an XP Operating System. I checked to see if I had the same problem as you and Ed. I copied Ed’s post with the fraction in it, then opened up Word. Everything copied fine. What version of Word are you two using?

Sharon
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-12-2002, 10:04 PM

I'm using Microsoft Word 2000. I can't say why it's happening but it sure is and it's consistant.
That is interesting Sharon. Thanks for giving it a try. Maybe we can eventually figure it out. Until then, I guess we just open it first.
DJ
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-13-2002, 10:22 AM

Ed and DJ

I also checked to see if I had the same problem as you and Ed. I copied Ed’s post with the fraction in it, then opened Word 2002 (on Windows XP system) pasted it and everything copied fine.

George
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software