RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Software Photoshop, Lightroom, Paintshop Pro, Painter, etc., and all their various plugins. Of course, you can also discuss all other programs, as well.

Paint Shop Pro vs Photoshop

Old 08-08-2007, 09:51 PM

Re: Paint Shop Pro vs Photoshop

albatross, normally i would move this type of thread to the software forum, but since you flattered me in your original post, i'll leave it here for a bit.

you might also wish to look in the software forum. there are other threads there dealing with comparisons between photoshop and psp.

and here's my response to your question, what does your grandson want? i know whenever christmas came around when i was a kid and i wanted X and got Y, i was always disappointed no matter how good Y was. so, i think the real question isnt how good is either program, but what does your grandson really want?

ok, with that aside, paint shop pro is a very good program. but, photoshop is the cadillac. psp is a good sedan, but photoshop is the luxury car. but, the prices are also comparable in that regard. psp you pay sedan prices where ps you pay cadillac prices, about 5 times more for ps if you bought both retail.

psp has the easier learning curve but ps has more tutorials/helps and so on.

if your grandson is going to go professional and get a job somewhere, they arent likely to ask him if he is psp proficient; they'll ask if he's photoshop proficient. it just is the defacto program.

psp does have a few items that ps doesnt. ps has a ton of items psp doesnt.

specialty add-ons are written to the ps standard, not a psp one. you dont see folks advertise their plugins mainly as psp compatible but rather mostly as ps compatible. for instance, you'll often see a plugin stated as 'works with ps and ps compatible programs'. though, sometimes they will list those ps compatible programs. (bear in mind this is just a 'mostly' generality here)

and, last, what will your grandson be using the program for? you mentioned my name, being someone that uses psp a lot and i do. however, i'm mostly using very simple tools here in the restoration forum. i use clone, airbrush, push (a type of smudge) and a few filters, for the most part. so, if that's what your grandson will be doing, why pay $650 for a program when you can do the same thing for $125? but, if he's going to be doing other things, particularly commercially, then it makes more sense to spend the extra. i actually have cs3 as well as psp, but i rarely use it. my tastes are simple. and i have always hated the ps clone tool. it's just not as intuitive to me as psp's. plus, i'm still shying away from that learning curve.

but again, all of those things are secondary to the first one, what does your grandson actually want?

oh, and i shld mention one last item. ps can often be found at very substantial discounts, so saying $125 for psp and $650 for ps isnt necessarily always true. i got cs3 for about $255 from adobe (not some pirated, nefarious site). it's the full version, with cd's and paper manual and it really was from adobe and no, it wasnt an educational version or some other version. adobe runs deals from time to time, often around christmas and i got cs2 that way, but it was close enough to the release time of cs3 that i was told if cs3 came out within 90 days of when i got my cs2 that they'd give me the cs3 upgrade for free, plus shipping costs. it was just too sweet of a deal to pass up. in fact, i found out about the original deal from someone posting a notice here on retouchpro. of course, the same thing can happen with psp as well
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-08-2007, 11:25 PM

I posted this earlier, but nobody paid attention

Have you considered Photoshop Elements? For the <$100 price, it has many of the same capabilities of the full version of Photoshop and you can learn a lot from the many Photoshop tutes that are available.

But what do I know,

Margaret
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-09-2007, 12:01 AM

If I remember correctly Elements does not allow masking which is really a necessity as far as I'm concerned. Also Elements costs as much or more than Paint Shop Pro but it seems, from the little I know about Paint Shop Pro, that PSP has more features.

Thank you for your response. Appreciated.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-09-2007, 12:12 AM

Kraellin,

You deserve some flattery for your contributions to this forum.

I don't think that my grandson will be doing anything professional with these programs other than to get some enjoyment from them as his grandfather does. As I read the responses I'm surprised that PSP is receiving such positive responses. In fact tomorrow I'm going to the library to find some texts and materials to better understand what PSP can do. I am in the market for a new computer and I was not considering the Mac since I would have to buy Photoshop for Macs. If PSP even approaches what Photoshop can do I would seriously consider a Mac rather than a PC. What started as a thread to get information to help me choose a program for my grandson may well give me the incentive to buy a Mac.

Thank you for your comprehensive and timely response and once again I would like to compliment you for the quality of your responses to all of us that are trying to utilize all that Photoshop has to offer.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-09-2007, 01:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albatrosss View Post
If I remember correctly Elements does not allow masking which is really a necessity as far as I'm concerned. Also Elements costs as much or more than Paint Shop Pro but it seems, from the little I know about Paint Shop Pro, that Paint Shop Pro has more features.

Thank you for your response. Appreciated.
I use masks all the time in Elements.

Margaret
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-09-2007, 09:11 AM

>> I am in the market for a new computer and I was not considering the Mac since I would have to buy Photoshop for Macs...

If you buy a new Mac you can buy the PC version of Photoshop and run it on the new Intel Mac under Bootcamp or Parallels. That's the beauty of the Macintosh, you can run all your old PC software or you can run Apple software. Both run natively at tremendous speeds. Apple just lowered the price on their entry level 20" iMac to $1199.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-09-2007, 09:20 AM

Margaret,

I stand corrected. Will give it a look.

Thanks
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-09-2007, 11:03 AM

I too am a photoshopper, and when I look at the things as a whole, I feel its a better way for me to go, because of the many other applications it integrates so well with. I dont know if id have the same flexibility with Paint Shop Pro pro.
I employ PSCS with other apps such as After Effects, Illustrator, Encore DVD, Indesign, and Premier Pro. It just good to know that you can import without any problems.

Besides, had it not been for photoshop, Id not have known about this awesome site !........lol

long live longisland !

kjmdigital
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-09-2007, 11:48 AM

Swampy,

Thanks for the info. I guess that I am making decisions based upon lack of information.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-09-2007, 12:39 PM

Wow, a lot of both sides of the street here!

Well, let me just add to the mix, or confusion, as the case may be.

I primarily use Paint Shop Pro because I started out with it, I think it was on discount. It was version 5. I am now using 9, although I have both 10 and 11 but there is little change in either from 9 that I care about. Maybe one day when I have nothing better to do I will load 11 and check it out.

Anyway I have added multiple plugins etc to 9 and have been very happy with it for the most part. However, something no one has mentioned is the amount of tutorial books etc that flood the shelves in book stores for Photoshop while maybe one or two show up for PSP. Also PS actions, known as scripts in PSP, will not run in PSP, or vice-versa for that matter.

There are actions all over the internet and they will do some very good photo art work. So I started to think how I could afford PS to run actions. Answer? I bought an old version of PS, version 6. Got it dirt cheap. Then I found out that there are some filters and other stuff in later versions of PS that I really wanted. So here is how I solved that problem. I waited until they were about to come out with PS Elements 5 and I bought 4. Got it for less than half price on a clearance sale.

So now I have PSP, PS 6 for running actions, and PSE 4 for the PS tutorials that seem to be everywhere also. Not many people post PSP tutorials to these forums, except the one that is for PSP.

I still use PSP the most, but I will swap back and forth when there is something from PS that I want or need for a project.

I know that not all the newer PS stuff will work in the versions I have, but so far I can do most of the PS things that I want to do.

And some of the PS books on photo art are really incredible.

Steve C.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software