RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Software Photoshop, Lightroom, Paintshop Pro, Painter, etc., and all their various plugins. Of course, you can also discuss all other programs, as well.

Paint Shop Pro vs Photoshop

Old 08-08-2007, 02:06 PM

Paint Shop Pro vs Photoshop

Obviously Photoshop costs what it does because of its versality. Yet when I see the work that "Kraellin" does on a daily basis with Paint Shop Pro, I wonder if the disparity in price for Photoshop is justified, unless of course you are a pro.

I am a hobbiest probably with intermediate skills (probably an overestimate) and I was considering Photoshop as a gift for my grandson who is fairly proficient using Photoshop on my computer. Now I wonder if, for the non professional enthusiastic hobbiest, Paint Shop Pro might be the way to go. I understand that you may well recommend using Paint Shop Pro and then go on to Photoshop but I wonder if that's the way to go.

I can understand that this is a difficult question since most of you use one or the other so making comments might not be appropriate. In any event I thought that I would ask the question anyway. I am looking forward to your responses. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Thanks
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-08-2007, 03:45 PM

Re: Paint Shop Pro vs Photoshop

Hi.
I do've Photoshop CS2,and i'm agree with you it's very expensiv i hardly use CS2,because everything CS2 can do i do the same in PhotoPaint X3 from Corel,as far i understood Paintshop is a cheaper version of Photoshop,so why buying something that's much more expensive while i can do in Paintshop.
thanks ,charles
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-08-2007, 04:18 PM

The main advantage to buying him Photoshop is that you say he's already fairly proficient with it. It might be frustrating for him to have to "learn" new software or may take some of the "joy" out of exploring and expanding what he already knows.

On the other hand, it is expensive (especially when you can't take it for a business deduction), And PSP has many similar capabilities.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-08-2007, 06:11 PM

Have you considered Photohop Elements? It's also by Adobe and is usually available at about $100.

Margaret
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-08-2007, 06:29 PM

I personally, don't like paint shop pro. It isn't because it won't do the job, because for the most part it will. It's because I don't know it, don't really have an interest in learning a completely different way of doing what I am already proficient with. Maybe it's not a very good reason, but it could be enough to throw your grandson's learning curve off. Before doing a switch on him, I would find out if he is acceptable to the idea.

As far as which one is better, I have several friends that know both, and without exception they tell me, you can do everything in Paint that you can do in Photoshop, but it is often much easier in Photoshop. Since speed and time is an important factor in any work environment, This to me is also an important consideration for a young upcoming artist.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-08-2007, 07:36 PM

I am a hobbyist. By profession I was an elementary school teacher, and have been enjoying retirement for the past several years. The thing I like best about Photoshop is that you have a fully integrated system. I recently went from CS2 Premium to CS3 Design Premium. No conflict with different platforms from different software manufacturers. One handy package.

dc
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-08-2007, 07:50 PM
Janitor

The benefits of one program over another nonwithstanding, there's just so much more learning material for Photoshop. Life is hard enough without adding more obstacles.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-08-2007, 08:03 PM

I'm sure you've heard it before: It is not the tool that makes someone a great image manipulator, rather his command of the tool he has and his knowledge of the art. I personally use an even more obscure tool: PhotoImpact (and an older release at that). Can you tell by looking at my work?

That aside, there is another very compelling reason to go with Photoshop and it has to do with how you learn things. If you need specific step-by-step instructions rather than just concepts to achieve a certain result, PS is a better choice, simply because of it's ubiquity and the sheer number of tutorials available for it.

My advice is to get the best tool you can afford, then concentrate on learning how to use it proficiently. As far as retouching is concerned, I think learning photography (lighting, color, composition, etc.) and art basics is by far the most important thing one can do.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-08-2007, 08:32 PM

If I were your grandson, I would want Photoshop. No question about it. What kid would want second best? Who would want some no name brand MP3 when all the other kids have iPods? And apart from that, presumably you are going to spend a fair whack on Paint Shop, so you might as well go the extra mile and get Photoshop. Who knows you might have a budding Dragan or Fiscus in your family. Nurture his talent with the right tools when he is young and it's anybodys' guess where he could end up. Finally, it is also the industry standard and, as others have mentioned, the sheer volume of information, how-to-tutorials, etc just blow the competition away.

Syd
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-08-2007, 09:47 PM

Syd,

I'm kind of cheap. Paint Shop Pro $79.99 while Photoshop cost $625.99 at Amazon. Quite a difference in price. Now the question is if Photoshop is worth the difference for a non pro user.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software