RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Software Photoshop, Lightroom, Paintshop Pro, Painter, etc., and all their various plugins. Of course, you can also discuss all other programs, as well.

Dropdown menu positions in Vista

Old 08-17-2007, 08:18 PM
Janitor

Dropdown menu positions in Vista

My machine crashed last week. After replacing the power supply it started back up again, no lost data or anything. However, now all the dropdown menus and tooltips are in the wrong position. I'm not just talking in my browser, but in all my apps, even Photoshop.

For example, the File menu in apps used to drop down so that the left edge of the menu was even with the word "File". Now in some it's over to the left, in some it's way over to the right.

And tooltips are similarly messed up. Some appear OK, but others cover the area they're supposed to assist with, and in Outlook they appear on my other monitor!

Any ideas on how I can fix this? (forget System Restore, the last save point is long after I had this problem).
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-17-2007, 08:46 PM

Re: Dropdown menu positions in Vista

I am the other half of Janet, here is a link that might be of help:
http://templates.proboards1.com/inde...ead=1183598201
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-17-2007, 09:53 PM
Janitor

That would make you Petty?

Thanks, but that's not the problem. My toolbar is fine. I'm talking about the File/Edit/View menus that drop down from all Windows programs, or the tooltips that many Windows apps offer when you mouseover a control.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-17-2007, 11:11 PM
Patron

Doug, if you right click on the desktop to bring up the display properties, then open the Appearance Tab and select Advanced, you can change the font sizes, colors, etc. The pull down menu called Item lets you tweak a number of things. Not sure if this path holds the answer but it might be worth checking on your machine.
Regards, Murray
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-17-2007, 11:22 PM
Janitor

Thanks, a good guess. But that didn't solve the problem.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-10-2007, 06:38 AM

Hey,

Joined this forum just to answer this question for you, because I found the answer. This was posted a while ago so you may have already figured it out.

If you have installed a graphics tablet (I did), you will get a control panel called "Tablet PC Settings". Open it and choose "Handedness" under the General tab. Switch to Left-handed menus. that should fix it. Not sure why the normal menus are considered "left handed", but..

Very weird and Microsoft-like to switch your menus from how they have always been to an opposite orientation WITHOUT EVEN ASKING! Sheesh..

Anyway, hope you already found this, but just in case anyone else ends up in the same boat.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-10-2007, 08:06 AM

Sounds like you might have a registry problem.

Try to roll back the OS to a date just prior to your crash. It should fix the problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Nelson View Post
My machine crashed last week. After replacing the power supply it started back up again, no lost data or anything. However, now all the dropdown menus and tooltips are in the wrong position. I'm not just talking in my browser, but in all my apps, even Photoshop.

For example, the File menu in apps used to drop down so that the left edge of the menu was even with the word "File". Now in some it's over to the left, in some it's way over to the right.

And tooltips are similarly messed up. Some appear OK, but others cover the area they're supposed to assist with, and in Outlook they appear on my other monitor!

Any ideas on how I can fix this? (forget System Restore, the last save point is long after I had this problem).
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software