RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Software Photoshop, Lightroom, Paintshop Pro, Painter, etc., and all their various plugins. Of course, you can also discuss all other programs, as well.

What do you think about Photoimpact??

Old 09-05-2007, 09:25 PM

What do you think about Photoimpact??

Ive had a hard time this month. My PC crashed. So I had to wipe it clean and rebuild. Thank god for external hard drives lol. I did loose some photos but the biggest lose of all was photoshop. I was running 7 and im not proud of how I got it if you know what I mean. And now dont have the cash to get it the right way (and the only way these days). So now I got Photoimpact 11 because its cheap and seems to be comparable. It seems to have all that photoshop has but I havnt spend a long time with it. I was just wounding if anyone else is using it and what you think??
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-06-2007, 10:24 AM

Re: What do you think about Photoimpact??

Hi dv8ed. I've been using PI8 for some time and find it very capable. Same reason, too -- can't afford Photoshop. Take a peek at my blog if you want to see what I've done with it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-06-2007, 12:05 PM

Lonnie,

Really nice looking images.

First time I ever heard or read about this Photo program. I wonder how it compares with Adobe Elements.

Last edited by albatrosss; 09-06-2007 at 12:06 PM. Reason: Wong name
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-06-2007, 12:42 PM

Thanks, albatross.

Ulead (PhotoImpact) software has been around for years. I believe it was always primarily intended for the budget minded hobbyist (like me), never taken too seriously by pros.

Though it is very easy to learn and use, it (my version 8 specifically) lacks a few very important tools: CMYK support, color channels, custom brushes -- to name a few off the top of my head. Another core difference is that uses an object based approach rather than layers, though quite similar in actual use. It uses some different terminology than PS which could be confusing when trying to translate tutorials, etc. On the plus side, it can use just about all PS plugins.

I try not to think about the shortcomings. Most can be worked around to a certain extent once to find your way around. After all, a good retoucher is not defined by his tools, but rather his experience, knowledge and skill.

There is a comparison (vs Elements 4) chart here.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-06-2007, 01:22 PM

Lonnie,

Thanks for the info. Looking for something for my grandson and this would certainly be something to look into..

Thanks again.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-06-2007, 07:19 PM

Lonk GREAT PHOTOS wow you make me fill alot better about all this. Now I just need to play around with it more to get the hang of it.
I see you live in Austin that is where I was born. I now live in Cleveland Ohio. But really miss Austin alot.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-06-2007, 07:45 PM

Glad to be of help, dv8ed. If you ever need any help with PhotoImpact, feel free to PM me.

I'm a relative newcomer to Austin -- less than 6 years. Being a transplanted desert rat (Phoenix and Las Vegas) I love the relatively temperate weather and have come to love the greenery. The cost of living, though, is something that is not impressing me, especially since I'm retired and am trying to live on a very meager disability allowance. Perhaps one day I'll make a few extra dollars with my photo manipulation/retouching efforts. Sadly, my marketing skills suck.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software