RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Software Photoshop, Lightroom, Paintshop Pro, Painter, etc., and all their various plugins. Of course, you can also discuss all other programs, as well.

Remove White background - the final solution?

Old 10-16-2007, 12:49 PM

Re: Remove White background - the final solution?

A bit out of my comfort zone here but just wanted to add there is a download here headed transparency filters

http://www.trimoon.com/html/downloads.html

Palms
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-16-2007, 01:24 PM

Thanks, Palms... Not for Mac, but PC users may find it handy.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-18-2007, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alison View Post
Hi Oceanwatcher,

Not sure if this is what you are looking for .....
Actually, I am not looking anymore. For me, this is the final solution (I hope you read the article on my page :-) ). I just wish I had found an E-mail to the author.

Anyway - make sure you read the full article.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-18-2007, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampy View Post
Stroker,

There is something odd about Blend If. When you do it, you can't load a selection from it by just Command/Control clicking on the layer thumbnail in order to generate a selection to make a mask. It must be because the Blend If is tied to that layer in some way that makes it impossible to manipulate further. I just happend to discover that by merging the BI layer down into a blank transparent layer things corrected themselves and I could then load the selection.

Much depends on the graphic, but the Blend If can create the basis for a pretty good mask. Assuming you are working on a duplicate of the original layer, do the BI then merge it down into a transparent layer, then load the slection from the merged result you can then apply the selection as a mask to the original. Many times it is easy from there to edit the mask to replace any highlight areas that may have gotten blown out by the gross BI process with levels or paint with a white brush.

1. In the sample below, I first duplicated the Background and added a transparent layer below the dupe. Ran the Blend If on the dupe then merged down. You can see the resulting mask where some of the lower areas were also affected by the BI. But this is okay since my main concern is the sky. It's easy enough to fix the "gross" areas of the mask with a white brush.

2. I dropped the sky in, but saw that the skyline and the church spire needed some touch up. So those were the areas I concentrated on. Fixed the spire with a small 100% white brush, reduced opacity and just scribbled some white along the horizon line of buildings to bring up more of their detail.

3. Put a gradient mask on the sky and ran a pretty big gaussian blur so the transition would be softer.

Whole thing took about 5 minutes and I never had to make a detailed selection.
Hi everyone, great trick the “Blend If”. I use to do the white extract using just channels and curves but BI is another good way.

About the something odd with Blend If when trying to load a selection, I think, it is because styles affects the entire contents of the layer but they don´t really change the pixels in the layer.

That is, as the layer to which apply "Blend If" is completely filled pixels (as is the case with the image of the church, there aren´t any transparent pixels at the beginning) no matter what effect has been applied to the styles, the load selection will always be the whole layer while the layer hasn´t been rasterized and the effects become actual pixels in the layer.

I do not know if I explained. My english is not too good.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-18-2007, 11:01 AM

Rhasval, that goes a long way toward explaining why you can't make a selection from the BI layer. Merging it down into a transparent layer turns it into an "unstyled" layer.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-18-2007, 11:41 AM

You can merge with a blank layer underneath - this renders the transparent pixels in a blend-if layer to transparency - it also takes the the blend-if sliders to their default.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-18-2007, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markzebra View Post
You can merge with a blank layer underneath - this renders the transparent pixels in a blend-if layer to transparency - it also takes the the blend-if sliders to their default.
After merging down, it doesn't matter if the sliders are reset. After merging down, I load the selection and apply it as a mask to another duplicate of the original. Then delete the merged BI layer.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-18-2007, 02:58 PM

Swampy

Its odd that you are unable to pick the transparent pixels after doing your blend-If.

I just tried and had success using the magic wand to select transparent or using command-tlde and selecting just the results of that selection with the magic wand or saving it as a channel and selecting the areas needed.

Chris
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-18-2007, 03:43 PM

Chris, if you are going to use the magic wand tool to select transparent, why not just use it to select whites to start with? It kind of defeats the purpose of Blend if which gives you much more control in the amount of selection.

Then what do you do when you have very complex selections such as palm fronds, or detail in trees? Especially when the luminacity of the white area varies from one area to the next?

Just easier for me to do the blend if, Command/Control E to merge to the transparent layer, Command/Control click on the merged layer to reload as a selection, go to a copy layer below and click the mask button then refine the mask if necessary.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-18-2007, 05:16 PM

Because with the magic wand used on the transparency you are getting a more accurate mask than when used on the white. You should get the same if not extremely close to the selection when doing your layer merge.

Only mentioned it because you had earlier said you could not get a selection from the layer by command clicking on it. This would give you the same as if you did.

"There is something odd about Blend If. When you do it, you can't load a selection from it by just Command/Control clicking on the layer thumbnail in order to generate a selection to make a mask. It must be because the Blend If is tied to that layer in some way that makes it impossible to manipulate further. I just happend to discover that by merging the BI layer down into a blank transparent layer things corrected themselves and I could then load the selection."

Chris
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software