RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Software Photoshop, Lightroom, Paintshop Pro, Painter, etc., and all their various plugins. Of course, you can also discuss all other programs, as well.

windows movie maker guidance please

Old 10-16-2007, 07:32 AM

windows movie maker guidance please

I used windows movie maker for the first time over the weekend and made a small video, with some photo's and music, titles, transitions etc and i must admit really enjoyed myself
I then burnt to a cd disc which can be played on the pc (now the but ) I would like to be able to play one on a dvd player, what would i have to do to be able to do this ? ( i have tried)
Presumably it is the wrong file format, which format would i have to change it to and what software would i have to use ?

Palms
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-16-2007, 07:47 AM
Janitor

Re: windows movie maker guidance please

Assuming you have a DVD burner, here's a link that might help you.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-16-2007, 08:00 AM

depending on the vintage of your player, you may be able to play your cd directly in the player. On the other hand, not all DVD players will play all DVDs either, nor will all DVD writers burn to all DVDs. Make sure the type of DVDs that you purchase are compatible with both your DVD player, and your DVD burner. Many older players will play DVD+ but not DVD-.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-16-2007, 09:11 AM

Thank you Doug that seems to explain it all ( I have a dvd burner)

And thank you Dave for that tip I will check out the type of dvd's that are supported by the players and the pc first

Then i will have some more fun

Palms
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-16-2007, 10:12 AM

hi,
Windows movie maker (WMM), a good program but with serious limitations...... I always recommend this to new people to get them aware of these movie editor program what they can do and have fun.... and later on if they want something more powerfull then there more aware of what to look for if they want something better...

my answer is in 2 parts... background and possible solutions....

part 1...
Now first.. One of the big limitations of WMM is that it only exports it file in wmv format and can only burn that file on a data cd format..... it cannot make a movie dvd or a movie vcd ...!!!!

your dvd burning programs... the standard format to use is avi or mpg. Now several of your dvd burning programs not only accept those format but but many others.. however not that many will accept wmv format! ...

and this applies to vcd.... one of the drawbacks of burning vcd is that although all your pc's can play a vcd.... not that many dvd players will play a vcd...

now that being said..... solutions...
part 2.......
now I am assuming that you do have a dvd burner but the burning software you have for it does not accept wmv files.. for making movie dvd's/vcd's

There several ways to go about this... for you at this time, probably converting the wmv file to a format like mpg would be best , a mpg file, your dvd burning program can easily accpt that mpg file to make a movie dvd.......
these two sites can help with that
http://media-convert.com/
or
http://www.erightsoft.com/SUPER.html

now keep in mind people have there faorite burning programs and converting programs to make your movie dvd's ..... the above are just 2 example of converting programs..

useful websites..... these two websites I think you will enjoy and there very good.....
this site covers just about everything about windows movie maker, it excellent!! ... has a very good active msg board and a lot of tutorials and other related info.....
http://www.windowsmoviemakers.net/Forums/Default.aspx

This site....covers just everything that you want to know about videos ......
has a very active msg boards, the program library is large, lot of info and how to's, etc......
http://www.videohelp.com/

I hope the info is usefull and enjoy being a director.. smile... it a lot of fun....

Quote:
Originally Posted by palms1 View Post
I used windows movie maker for the first time over the weekend and made a small video, with some photo's and music, titles, transitions etc and i must admit really enjoyed myself
I then burnt to a cd disc which can be played on the pc (now the but ) I would like to be able to play one on a dvd player, what would i have to do to be able to do this ? ( i have tried)
Presumably it is the wrong file format, which format would i have to change it to and what software would i have to use ?

Palms
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-16-2007, 12:34 PM

Thank you Jerry for your two part answer/explanation, there is a lot of info there and i will go through it all at a pace i can digest it at. As i said earlier I did enjoy messing around and the outcome was impressive for a first attempt and i would like to do some more ( i have loads and loads of photo's)
The only drawback is i think my husband will take a interest as well and we will be back to fighting over the computer !

Palms
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-16-2007, 01:04 PM

hi,
Your welcome,,,, you'll have a lot of fun being your own director and using those transitional effect and special effects.. smile...

as you get more familiar... you'll find you can bring in flash sequences and animated gifs.... special ways to hand those with WMM ... a little conversion maybe required.... also, although not sure if you can do it with WMM, check WMM msg board, but you can setup movie to allow you to jump between pictures, your not stuck with the player showing the slides in there movie sequence.... but anyway have fun...!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by palms1 View Post
Thank you Jerry for your two part answer/explanation, there is a lot of info there and i will go through it all at a pace i can digest it at. As i said earlier I did enjoy messing around and the outcome was impressive for a first attempt and i would like to do some more ( i have loads and loads of photo's)
The only drawback is i think my husband will take a interest as well and we will be back to fighting over the computer !

Palms
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-17-2007, 02:06 AM

actually, windows movie maker, at least version 2.1, will burn directly to dvd in a variety of formats. see this page: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/d...viemaker2.mspx and, this page: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...savetodvd.mspx

if you have a version older than 2.1, i'd upgrade. just use that first address and follow the links.

but, if you want the latest freebie in this line of software, microsoft now offers "Photo Story 3". get it at this page: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...y/default.mspx

i've used movie maker before. simple, but can do some nice things. that's what i made that flower slideshow from a while back, palms. it's NOT macromedia, but it will do some decent things.

i havent used photo story 3, so, i know little of that one, but it is newer than movie maker so i would expect it to do more.

also, if you have vista, there are even more upgrades you can get. check out this page for vista movie maker: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro...oviemaker.mspx
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-17-2007, 05:33 AM

Thank you Craig for the info
I am running vista and i presume it is the up todate version of movie maker ( when i look at the about MM tab it says version 6.0 build 600 ! )
I will have another mess around soon and then knuckle down and go into it properly,
I did have fun and it looks a great way to present some photo's especialy as i have been to 3 weddings this year

Palms
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-18-2007, 10:21 PM

oh, ok. if you're running vista then you're running a version of movie maker way above what i've used
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software