RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Software Photoshop, Lightroom, Paintshop Pro, Painter, etc., and all their various plugins. Of course, you can also discuss all other programs, as well.

Help with PSP X2 & File Saving

Old 01-19-2008, 05:53 AM

Help with PSP X2 & File Saving

Hey all - noob here, lol. I am having major issues with PSP X2, and PSD files. On occassion I am able to save a layered image as a PSD file (I work with digital scrapbookers). However, most times it simply merges the file, ruining any efforts I have made. I have tried saving as a TIFF file as well, and same thing (it always tries to merge the layers).

Normally this wouldn't be an issue, however I need to save my creations in PSD format to allow all users to use my work (eg. PSP, PS, PSE, CS, et al).

Any ideas?

Thank you for taking the time to look! It's greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-19-2008, 12:18 PM

Re: Help with PSP X2 & File Saving

Hi Tara... welcome aboard.

I did a quick Google search and did not see anything relevant...

I'm a Photoshop user, so I'm shooting in the dark below to see if I hit anything.

In an attempt to isolate the problem, does it happen if:
* You start with File > New, add some layers, Save as .psd
* Open a layered .psd, add some layers, Save as .psd
* Open a flattened .psd, add some layers, Save as .psd
* Open .jpg, add some layers, Save as .psd
* Open .jpg, Save as .psd, open .psd, add some layers, Save as .psd
* Open .jpg, Save as psp format, open psp file, add some layers, Save as .psd

...Where I'm going here is trying to find some combination that always results in a layered .psd. If you find one, you'll have an idea of "where to start" as a workaround.

Hope this gives you some ideas...
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-19-2008, 06:46 PM

Hi Danny,

Thank you for the suggestions...I just tried them all and nothing works. Just a few days ago I had no problems saving as a layered PSD, but now it wants to merge them. Not sure why, it's picky and tempermental about this. It's driving me mad, as I do have a dealine and it won't let me do what I need to, lol.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-19-2008, 07:31 PM

Quote:
...Saving to PSD format won’t preserve all Photoshop features...
If you could post a sample of a Paint Shop Pro file you can't save, we could take a look at the problem.
It doesn't have to be your work create/make something to emulate the behavior.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-19-2008, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tara1979 View Post
Hi Danny,

Thank you for the suggestions...I just tried them all and nothing works. Just a few days ago I had no problems saving as a layered PSD, but now it wants to merge them. Not sure why, it's picky and tempermental about this. It's driving me mad, as I do have a dealine and it won't let me do what I need to, lol.
Hmmm...

Well, that's something. It's failing across the board. To me that suggests something got whacked somewhere, perhaps the Windows Registry or some obscure, under the covers PSP component.

Plans B, C:
* Uninstall PRO X2 / reinstall PRO X2, try X2 again
* Uninstall PRO X2/ reinstall previous working version of PSP

...and cross your fingers.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-19-2008, 11:03 PM

i dont have x2, but i do have xi. first, always save in pspimage first. that's just for safety's sake and convenience. second, make sure you're truly saving or trying to save in .psd and not .psp or .pbm or some other format. it's very easy to miss the right one. and third, there are some things done in psp that wont convert to a .psd file, like psp's layer groups, but, if that's the case, you shld be getting a warning when you attempt to save in .psd and all that will happen is that psp will drop the layer group back to a normal layer and then go ahead and save in .psd if you tell the popup ok.

other than that, it shld save in .psd if you've saved to .pspimage first. the formats arent that different and since you also said you were able to a few days ago, that makes me think something got screwed up somewhere. i'd try danny's suggestion of an uniinstall and then re-install first. if that doesnt work, contact Corel support or visit their online help pages to see if anyone else has had the same problem and if a fix was posted as a result.

there is no good reason why this shld be doing this. it shld save layers. just a couple quick questions that come to mind... have you used psp's updater in x2 at all? has your machine crashed on you recently, especially while using psp? have you changed extension preferences lately, especially .psd? you know, which program by default will open this or that type of extension.

i do recall having a bit of trouble with .psd's a version or two back, but xi works fine for me (i just tried a couple without any problems).

it sounds like a registry corruption, or at least that would be my first guess. you might also try just re-installing over the current install. that will sometimes fix a registry corruption without uninstalling.

but, push come to shove, Corel support is your best bet.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-20-2008, 06:15 AM

Thank you!!!!! I tried all day to get help from Corel, and everything else that was suggested. Nothing worked. However, I removed it completely from my computer, and reinstalled it. I was able to get updates (previously I hadn't), and now I can save my files as PSD. Thank you all so much! I appreciate all the suggestions as they will help me in the future should anything happen again. Thank you!!
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-20-2008, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tara1979 View Post
Thank you!!!!! I tried all day to get help from Corel, and everything else that was suggested. Nothing worked. However, I removed it completely from my computer, and reinstalled it. I was able to get updates (previously I hadn't), and now I can save my files as PSD. Thank you all so much! I appreciate all the suggestions as they will help me in the future should anything happen again. Thank you!!
Woo-hoo!

Glad you're up and running again. Thanks for the update. Always like to read happy endings.... "And Tara lived happily ever after..."
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software