RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Software Photoshop, Lightroom, Paintshop Pro, Painter, etc., and all their various plugins. Of course, you can also discuss all other programs, as well.

Useful PS6 actions: De-noise, contrast masking, et al

View Poll Results: This type of post is useful/approproiate for this forum.
Agree 7 100.00%
Somewhat agree 0 0%
Somewhat disagree 0 0%
Thanks, but no thanks... It just don't float my boat. 0 0%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-13-2002, 08:28 PM

Danny - these types of links are worth their virtual weight in gold.

Grain and noise reduction is not easy - if you still require sharpness to the image.

The Photoshop v6 action you mention is very good for a free action - and includes quite a few variables, not just grain reduction.

Another similar, simpler dedicated free grain reduction action can also be found here:

http://www.digitalsecrets.net/secrets/denoiseISO.html

Then there are the commercial actions (not free) from Fred Miranda for specific digicams - plus some free actions too:

http://www.fredmiranda.com

And there are special plugs and applications for grain and other issues such as GrainSurgery, QuantumMechanic and Neat Image.

Regards,

Stephen Marsh.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-13-2002, 09:08 PM

Thanks for the cool action link Stephen. I downloaded it to try. Now all I have to do is actually try these actions I'm busily downloading.
DJ
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-14-2002, 06:53 AM

Thanks DJ, you should be thankful that your images do not require these actions! I like to think of these actions as insurance...I don't want to use them - but at least I know I have an option if I need it.

Since I am into prepress, these actions are not ideal for my workflow. But when the trade off is to reduce visible noise or grain, then loosing the original separation may be less critical.

In other cases, I may dupe the CMYK file and convert this to RGB so the actions can do their stuff - before converting back to CMYK and then perhaps blending key elements of the filtered image into the original separation.

Sadly, I have had to resort to these actions to reduce visible film grain, digicam noise or jpeg luminosity damage in jobs that will go to press in high quality magazine conditions. They also work well for a less 'artifical' retouch cosmetic smoothing of skin than more direct methods. It would be even better to use a dedicated software package over an action, although these actions are very good.

Most users will be in RGB for their scans or digicam shots or whatever, but most of my work is presented to me in CMYK for press output - which can be a problem. I might have to hack these scripts so that I can use them in CMYK, if I ever find the time.

On a side note, the actions at my site are only a quick hack, often to demonstrate the text which were meant to be redone, when I found the time. I hope to redo the existing actions and offer some new ones as well in the near future (as well as update my site and become more active online).

Stephen Marsh.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-14-2002, 10:14 AM

I also thought that you should be able to convert the actions to CYMK, but since I rarely work in CYMK I wasn't sure if certain filters were grayed out as they are when working in grayscale for instance. It's worth a try if all you work in is CYMK. I will let you know how they do. I did have plans to experiment with them when I get some time to play.
DJ
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-14-2002, 06:25 PM

Hi Danny

I just downloaded the actions that you showed us. I havent played with them yet, but some look very useful. I'm looking forward to playing with them. Thanks for the tip.

Jerry
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-14-2002, 10:26 PM

Thumbs down

Stephen,
I finally got around to giving the action a try and I am totally impressed. It works great. There is a very noticable difference but the quality of the image seems to stay intact. Thanks for letting us in on it.
DJ
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-15-2002, 07:08 AM

ok, what's up with this? I'm doing something wrong (again). I downloaded the denoise action, but I can't load it into actions palette. Anybody know what I'm messing up here?
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-15-2002, 09:33 AM

Photoshop Action Problems

Carrie, I'm not sure here...Photoshop Actions (scripts, macros) are new to quite a few users, so please forgive me if this sounds like a lecture - with luck this may help others, if not yourself. <g>

Action files need to be decompressed and if on the PC must also end in a .atn filename extension.

Although they are cross platform, some users distribute them to Mac with no .atn extension and sometimes .sit compressed, while PC users may distribute a .zip compressed file with the action having a .atn filename extension. Some users just distribute a .atn extension and .zip archive to serve both platforms.

Actions can reside anywhere, and are loaded into the Actions palette via the Actions palette menu. When loaded into the palette, they are stored in a temp file with your other settings in later versions of Photoshop. If you change an action and wish to save it back to a .atn file, then the save Action command from the palette menu must be used (as the Action is in the temp file and not a live link to the original .atn file that was loaded).

Unlike plugs/filters - .atn files do not tie up memory by simply loading them into the application.

Actions are usually work from older to new versions, but the simple act of saving an older action from a later version of Photoshop will render the action unusable for earlier versions, even if no edits were made to the action (each version tags the file with a code which locks out earlier versions).

More on actions can be found here:

http://members.ozemail.com.au/~binar...V_links.html#A

Hope this helps,

Stephen Marsh.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-15-2002, 12:51 PM

Carrie,
I may be able to solve your problem. Did you go to that link and drag that action on that page to your file?? I did, because that was what it said to do, thinking that was the action, and of course Photoshop didn't recognize it. Turns out when I went to Explore to look for it, what I got was not the action but a short cut to the action.

Go to that page again and click on that highlighted action and you will get a parent directory of actions. Choose iDeNoiseHilSO2.1.atn from the list and click on it and you will get the download dialog box. Everything should be fine.

It wasn't until I tried to load it yesterday that I discovered there was a problem and then I thought of your problem with it and figured you did the same thing I did.
Let me know if that works for you.
DJ
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-15-2002, 06:29 PM

Ok, I managed to ge the 1st group of actions from the start of the thread, but the DeNoise one I can't open still. I had to extract the 1st one befor it worked. The other...well, I'mstill not sure I understand what you mean DJ. How exactly did you drag it? I don't see the 'parent directory' either.

Thanks Stephen for all the info. My downloaded files do have the extention .atn

C
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software