RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Software Photoshop, Lightroom, Paintshop Pro, Painter, etc., and all their various plugins. Of course, you can also discuss all other programs, as well.

Help with lock-ups

Old 04-07-2002, 07:45 AM

J Ok on the ram it seems I put the cart before the horse if the ram followed the Norton install. I was considering the Norton prog but I think I'll hang fire and let the cauldron bubble a little more !
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-07-2002, 06:42 PM

Hi Folks

Well after tinkering with this problem for a day, it definitely appears to be related to the Norton Firewall and how it interacts with screensavers and/or slumber mode. I have posted on the norton website to see if they can shed any light on this problem. It appears that you guys might be right about Norton and the lock-up problem. I will keep you posted as this sounds like something that could affect others.

Chris H, You had no way of knowing that I just put the ram in yesterday. I should have told you. Thanks for the effort.

And thanks to all of you for the help.

Jerry
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-13-2002, 09:50 AM

Hi folks

Here is an update and WARNING. After getting rid of Norton firewall I installed a trial version of Blackice Defender. My computer was still locking up just as it did with Norton. Frustration
sets in immediately.

After scouring the internet I found that there was a update to my version of Windows Me. It was a security update. While installing the Windows update,my Norton anti-virus kicked in and found a virus/trojun in my operating system. This virus was undetected by norton anti-virus earlier because of a flaw in Windows Me. I am now up and running, but don't know if I am totally well yet. I had to use the "go back in history" feature of windows to get all of this done. So now I must reload programs that i recently installed such as photoshop 6.0.

A word to the wise. If you are out on the internet a lot like me, it would be very wise to check for Windows updates for your version. Your virus software can be compromised by flaws in the operating systems.

Good Luck
Jerry
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-13-2002, 09:56 AM

Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
Sorry to hear about your unfortunate turn of events. Thanks for warning everyone. It can be a real problem at times.

Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-13-2002, 10:09 AM

Jerry
Sorry about all the problems you've been having. Thanks for the warning though and glad things have leveled off for you. Hope your luck holds out and the problem is really taken care of.
DJ
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-13-2002, 10:17 AM

Jerry - sorry to hear about your problems. Hope there wasn't any other damage done to your system from the trojan. Hope you don't run into any other troubles. Please let us know how you like Black Ice once you get that back up and running.

As much as I hate being tied to MS, I believe they now have a download which will run in the background and let you know when new critical or security patches are available. Seems like it might be a good idea to download that - unless anyone has had a bad experience with it?

-Jeanie
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-13-2002, 11:12 AM

XP Pro downloads patches either automatically or asks you depending on how you configure it. I've been running the free Tiny Software firewall in 98 and it seems to work fine. I had alot of trouble with Norton anti Virus 2000 on 98. On installation it told me virtually every file on the computer was infected in some way, I removed it and did without until the 2001 version appeared which so far works fine.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-13-2002, 11:54 AM

Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
I just wanted to mention that XP Home edition also lets you know when updates are available for downloading. I couldn't believe how many updates there have been since I bought my computer.

Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-13-2002, 05:54 PM

You too Ed? It seemed like I was getting them every day. They seem to have leveled off a bit. Hope that means they've worked out all the obvious bugs.
DJ
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software