RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Software Photoshop, Lightroom, Paintshop Pro, Painter, etc., and all their various plugins. Of course, you can also discuss all other programs, as well.

Is there any new editing software....

Old 04-28-2008, 07:55 AM

Is there any new editing software....

Hi,

I have tried Microsoft digital 10, painshop pro X..., Photoshop elements 6, lightroom, CS3...

I am just wondering if there are more editing programs out there that I haven't tried or heard of. Oh yes, one other I read about on here and did a free trial of is professional portrait. So there must be more out there in this vast photography world.

Let me know,
Thanks,
Beth
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-28-2008, 08:37 AM

Re: Is there any new editing software....

hi,
there several hundreds of different genre of paint programs...

is there a particular specialty paint program your looking for?

I am sure you heard of gimp and gimpshop.... you can go to tucows.com and download.com... and do a search there.. that will give you a ton of hits on a lot of paint programs... after that... a general internet search will find you more, a lot more,.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by beth313@verizon View Post
Hi,

I have tried Microsoft digital 10, painshop pro X..., Photoshop elements 6, lightroom, CS3...

I am just wondering if there are more editing programs out there that I haven't tried or heard of. Oh yes, one other I read about on here and did a free trial of is professional portrait. So there must be more out there in this vast photography world.

Let me know,
Thanks,
Beth
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-28-2008, 09:06 AM

No, I haven't heard of those. Paint programs...is that like the corel paint program? I am looking for picture editing...same same?

Beth
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-28-2008, 09:54 AM
Patron

Beth,
If you have a Windows PC you might try Picture Window. It appears to have a more intuitive interface than CS3.
<C>
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-28-2008, 11:00 AM

Beth, correct me if I'm wrong, but from this and your other posts, it appears you are looking for a magic bullet editing program. There is no such thing. You have several tools already and CS3 is the very best that money can buy, but it has a steep learning curve. It is a professional tool and not designed for amateurs. Retouching is a very deep and broad field. It requires tedious work to master it. You can buy every software package available that will "push pixels", but it's up to you to dig in research, study and learn the techniques.

Try some Linda.com tutorials. ($25 for a month of access 24/7), get Katrin Eisman's books as they are the very best at not only explaining the hows, but the whys as well.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-28-2008, 12:00 PM

hi,
"paint programs" is just a broad generic name... like "word processors" and paint programs encompasses everything from your simple M$paint to your high end one's like photoshop c3 ...

gimp and gimpshop which are very good... yes they are like the programs that you mentioned... there meant for the average consumer and there free... you can find them at download.com

now swampy mentioned she thinks your looking for maybe a magic program that does things with a click of a button.... your not going to find them... all one can do is find one that works best for them...

if you can give us an idea... of what your looking for, features, budget, type of editing you want to do, etc ... maybe out replies can help further...

Quote:
Originally Posted by beth313@verizon View Post
No, I haven't heard of those. Paint programs...is that like the corel paint program? I am looking for picture editing...same same?

Beth
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-28-2008, 10:19 PM

Swampy pretty well nailed it Beth. I understand where your at, I did the same thing when I started out. At one time I had who knows how many image editers on my box.
If you can afford it, or even if you can't but plan to make a career in image editing bite the bullet and buy photoshop cs3. Hands down. Industry standard.
Your next best option is probably a toss-up between 3;
Paint shop took a good run at photoshop about 5 years ago.
Gimp is free. Sometimes you just can't beat free.
One you already have is Elements.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-29-2008, 04:17 AM

Hi all,

Thanks for you replies. I wansn't looking for a magic bullet for the other topic I posted. I just wondered what was out there because all the trials I downloaded had diff. features than the others. For example, in PTSP Pro X has a "thinify" and "Suntan" tool I liked. Lightroom has easy exposure tools that I like. I just wondered if there were programs that I didn't know of that maybe incorp. a whole bunch of tools in one program instead of having to have several diff. programs just to get one or two tools that I liked. That's what I was looking for, not a magic button to re-colorize...although that would be nice!!!
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-01-2008, 12:05 AM

beth,

dont listen to any of these bums (boy, i'm gonna be shot for that remark ). ok, listen to some of them there really are a ton of programs and plugins out there, probably more than any one person could really master in a lifetime. but, it's fun as hell trying you mentioned microsoft; check around on their site; i seem to recall downloading a freebie paint program from them a while back. also try Picasa from Google. and my personal favorite is Filter Forge ( http://www.filterforge.com ). that one does textures and effects and has over 4500 filters which come with it (and still growing), plus, you can make your own and use them.

there are also programs like Corel's Painter, a great painting simulator. there are quite a few 3d programs, if you're into that, a couple even free.

and speaking of free, try http://www.sourceforge.net . that is the largest repository and working project site for free, open source software. a truly great resource all by itself.

and, check out our own library here on RP. we've got links to lots of stuff. and, if you find something interesting in your search, post a link to it in the library so others can find it.

and, if you get truly bored or frustrated in your search, try entering this in Google or Yahoo: .8bf (make sure you include the dot before the 8).
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-02-2008, 12:43 AM

Thanks, I can't wait to look at some of this stuff. Lot's out there.

Thanks again,
Beth
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software