RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Software Photoshop, Lightroom, Paintshop Pro, Painter, etc., and all their various plugins. Of course, you can also discuss all other programs, as well.

Free file converter

Old 05-28-2008, 09:45 AM

Free file converter

Hello All:
Have not been here for awhile. It has been nice to look at all the work done here and see people learn and improve. My question is about finding a free software program I might use.

Does anyone here know of a good safe site to download a Free File Converter program? My friend made a slideshow in Windows Movie Maker and it only will play on the computer. She would like to play it on a DVD to be shown on a TV for a graduation event. The burn program Nero Express will not accept the AVI or WP3 file extension. Does anyone know if it is possible to use a file converter to change the shows file extension so it can be burned to a DVD? Thanks To All Nebgranny
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-28-2008, 10:22 AM

Re: Free file converter

Nero will accept AVI files, I use it all the time. As I understand it, Photo Story will export to AVI. But I'm sure if you Google you can find a converter available.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-28-2008, 10:35 AM

Take a look for XtoDVD. Although it isn't free, it pretty inexpensive, (around $50 US), and will convert pretty much any format, even ones that other programs balk at. You don't need all of the other packages that they advertise with it, just XtoDVD.

Nero express will accept AVI files, but if they aren't perfect, it will balk. Nero recode does a better job, but it is pretty expensive.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-28-2008, 11:27 AM

Thank You Dave and Hawkeye60.

I really do not want to buy any thing as this is a one time thing for her. I have a very good slideshow program and do not have problems burning very good DVD's. I am just trying to help my friend.
Nebgranny
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-28-2008, 12:34 PM

hi,
first of all it sounds like you may need to programs depending...

first.... you need a burning program that will make movie dvd's.... that problem with that nero express it doesn't make movie dvd's...!!
this one is both a movie dvd burner and movoie/slide shw editor....
http://www.freedownloadscenter.com/M...DVD_Maker.html
but it doesn't handle wmf.... so would need a wmf convert for that....
another free one
http://www.dvdflick.net/

now your file from movie maker (or photo story 3) is a wmf file, movie maker or ps3 does not export in any other standard "common format" ... most movie dvd burning programs don't accept wmf format so you need to convert it to mpg or avi then burn....!!!

this free converter will convert just about anything including wmf to avi or mpg, etc etc...
http://www.erightsoft.com/SUPER.html

those are some ideas....

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebgranny View Post
Hello All:
Have not been here for awhile. It has been nice to look at all the work done here and see people learn and improve. My question is about finding a free software program I might use.

Does anyone here know of a good safe site to download a Free File Converter program? My friend made a slideshow in Windows Movie Maker and it only will play on the computer. She would like to play it on a DVD to be shown on a TV for a graduation event. The burn program Nero Express will not accept the AVI or WP3 file extension. Does anyone know if it is possible to use a file converter to change the shows file extension so it can be burned to a DVD? Thanks To All Nebgranny
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-28-2008, 02:51 PM

Thanks very much Jerry. I will look into the information you so kindly pointed me too!! I am about on burn out on this project to find a way for her to convert the Movie Maker AVI file so she can put the slideshow in a DVD player to be played on TV during the graduation party.

I have a nice slideshow program and can burn right from within it and just love it, but she does not do ths all the time and just wanted to do this for her sister's son's graduation party. She came to our grandson's Graduation and saw the one I made for him which was looping on the TV during the party. People so enjoyed it and went over and sat on the couch and watched it all. I was proud to have achieved the final results for my grandson, he is a really great kid!!

So once again thanks and you can be sure I will look into the links provided .
Nebgranny
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-28-2008, 03:49 PM

hi,
your welcome.... who know after she make the first 1 or 2, she may find it a lot fun and want to do more..... yo can be very creative with slideshows...
example.. we made one for a neice graduration.. basicaly the story line was as baby and showing thru the years and her interests.... it was long one.. smiling..... and did one that for geanology, basically family tree type biography story....

good and hope she has fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebgranny View Post
Thanks very much Jerry. I will look into the information you so kindly pointed me too!! I am about on burn out on this project to find a way for her to convert the Movie Maker AVI file so she can put the slideshow in a DVD player to be played on TV during the graduation party.

I have a nice slideshow program and can burn right from within it and just love it, but she does not do ths all the time and just wanted to do this for her sister's son's graduation party. She came to our grandson's Graduation and saw the one I made for him which was looping on the TV during the party. People so enjoyed it and went over and sat on the couch and watched it all. I was proud to have achieved the final results for my grandson, he is a really great kid!!

So once again thanks and you can be sure I will look into the links provided .
Nebgranny
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-28-2008, 07:39 PM

May I recommend this free converter:
http://www.erightsoft.com/SUPER.html

A blurb from the site that develops the converter:
"SUPER © "The Player" surpasses any known player by supporting just
any Multimedia file format. SUPER © plays files that cannot be played with
WMP or even MPC and VLC the advanced Libavcodec based players.
SUPER © also plays and saves Internet Media Streams of different
protocols ( mms:// rtsp:// http://)

SUPER © "The Encoder" is the fastest and simplest tool to encode full
length movies to any other format without any time or function limitation.

NO trial or evaluation version of SUPER © but one unique
Free to download and Free to use fully working version.

SUPER © does NOT require any additional external codec to
be installed, absolutely nothing. Necessary codecs are built in!"
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-28-2008, 10:25 PM

looks good, vernon. thank you is this your software or just something you use?
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-30-2008, 10:16 AM

I want to second Jerryb's suggestion of DVDFlick. It is a very good program that deserves to be know by many more. It is easy to use and totally free. And works really well. So far, it is one of the easiest programs I have found for making a DVD, paid for or free.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software