I just bought Genie Backup Manager Pro
and I'm pretty happy with it. I got it because of the recommendation from PC Magazine naming it their Editor's Choice.
I've given the software a pretty good workout, and it's not without problems, but it is the best backup software I've found for Vista. A couple of things I particularly like about it:
- They don't use a proprietary archive file format, just plain old ZIP (though they do rename it).
- Can backup via FTP (though not SFTP currently, it's supposed to be added)
- Makes full use of shadow versions
- Uses free plugins to backup particular apps, so you don't have to make complicated rules to include or exclude particular files.
- Doesn't use the archive bit for its backups, and can optionally reset it or leave it alone (so it won't mess with any other backups you might have in place)
Some things I don't like about it:
- They've abandoned their support forum, but supposedly their ticket system works well (too early for me to tell)
- There's an option to shut down Outlook before it backs up, but I can't get it to work
- There's a system tray notification that is actually quite handy, but it also pops up ads for their other software (though each can be turned off, as can the entire notification system)
Anyway, upon registration I got a screen saying I could invite 10 people to purchase a copy of the Pro version for 20% off. That's a much better deal than I got, but I don't know 10 people who need a good backup solution, so I thought I'd mention it here. PM me with your email address and after a week or so I'll add whomever requests it to the list.
I'm assuming each of those 10 will then be able to invite 10 more, etc., but I'll be amazed if I get 10 to start.
If you don't currently have a daily backup solution, use this as a reminder to start one, even if you don't take me up on this offer. Get a good external hard drive while you're at it. I recommend the Seagate FreeAgent or the Western Digital MyBook.
Remember only to PM me, do not reply with "I'm interested" here, or for certain don't post your email address in the open forum. And don't email me about it, just PMs (so I can keep the requests in one place).