RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Software Photoshop, Lightroom, Paintshop Pro, Painter, etc., and all their various plugins. Of course, you can also discuss all other programs, as well.

Music Notation Software

Old 08-03-2008, 02:53 PM

Re: Music Notation Software

Audacity.......FREE!

Steve C.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-03-2008, 04:17 PM

steve, audacity can write music notation? i thought audacity was a wave editor?
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-03-2008, 09:14 PM
Patron

Hey Craig. Just caught this thread. You know how frugal I am. Just did a quick check on Sourceforge's site (don't know if you have done this yet or not). Below is the search link.

http://sourceforge.net/search/?type_...music+notation
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-03-2008, 11:31 PM

thanks, lyle. yes, i've been on sourceforge looking. i think that's where i first saw Anvil. but always appreciate more links

i'm getting some great help here so far. how bout is anyone USING any of these that they could give me a first hand, quick review of what they're using and if they like it or not?
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-04-2008, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraellin View Post
steve, audacity can write music notation? i thought audacity was a wave editor?
It does wav, mp3's, and even some midis. Have to admit that is what I use it for, but someone said it would also give you notation. Admit I haven't tried that, and they didn't mention how to do it.

Someone else here did mention Anvil Studio. I know this will notate because I have used it for that.

Steve C.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-04-2008, 02:16 PM

thanks steve. i'll look closer at audacity. i do have it installed; just never really looked very closely at all the features. so, i'll do that.

as for anvil, i have that installed and it's pretty darn close to what i was looking for. and it's free so, thanks
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-28-2010, 02:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraellin View Post
thanks steve. i'll look closer at audacity. i do have it installed; just never really looked very closely at all the features. so, i'll do that.

as for anvil, i have that installed and it's pretty darn close to what i was looking for. and it's free so, thanks
My apologies in advance for resurrecting a two year old thread. But this was one of those threads that appears at the bottom of another thread with the suggestion that it may contain related info, and I just couldn't resist piping up.

Well, I can't comment on Anvil cuz I've never used it, but as it so happens, if you're still looking for reasonably priced notation software, there's a product that I used for quite a while that I really liked for its simplicity, yet full-featured capabilities as a notation-based sequencer: Midisoft Studio. I bought version 6 for about $60 back in 2001 or so. A few months after I bought my copy, I d/l'd a patch -- think it was v6.01 or something -- and then a couple months after that, the company went out of business. I was bummed, cuz Studion 6 had bugs and quirks that I was expecting to be worked out in a future version, but such was not to be . . . or so I presumed. A couple years later, I ran across a copy at a computer store, and it was a new version -- priced about the same, or maybe even a bit less than the copy I'd bought originally. Apparently, the rights to Studio had been purchased by somebody else and they came out with an update. Much the same, but as I recall, some of the quirks had been dealt with. I don't recall the name of this new publisher, but if you're still interested in a cheap notation-based sequencer, let me know, and I'll dig out the CD. Far as that goes, before posting this note, I did a google search, and ran across a bunch of sites offering free d/l's of Studio in various versions, including 6, so you could do the same, d/l a copy and give it a try -- see if it fits your needs.

What I ended up doing with it, was I used it for almost all my composition work because the interface was so much more intuitive than Allegro or Sibelius (and it was WAY cheaper anyway), and then after I'd fleshed out my compositions fairly well, I'd export the midi files to Cakewalk Pro Audio (later Sonar) and do all the serious tweaks there. Pro Audio/Sonar also have the notation-based functions, but it's an afterthought and not very robust in capabilities. It worked just fine for doing minor edits to the midi files, though.

And if you've found something cheap that you like, well, pass it along, okay? I'm always interested in this sort of thing. Unlike most folks, I guess, I prefer writing music the old fashioned way -- notes on staves, although I will make allowances for advances where I prefer doing this sort of thing on the computer rather than paper (usually), the same way I prefer a word processor to a typewriter.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-29-2010, 06:29 PM

here's another possibility, and it is free:

http://tuxguitar.herac.com.ar/
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-01-2010, 10:41 PM

thanks, cooltouch and pixelzombie. i ended up buying creative music 5, which is apparently one of the iterations of cakewalk. it has a lot more than i want, but it does have notation capabilities and piano roll mode, which is one of the features i loved about deluxe music.

but, do feel free to continue posting other candidates
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software