RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Software Photoshop, Lightroom, Paintshop Pro, Painter, etc., and all their various plugins. Of course, you can also discuss all other programs, as well.

FTP (File Transfer Protocol)

Old 05-12-2002, 10:20 PM

Ed,
Unfortunately, I don't quite follow what you're trying to do, but I'm going to try to find something that's a little more straight forward than whatever it is you're trying to do. It shouldn't be so confusing.
Jeanie

Well, it looks like Doug has more of an idea how to decipher that line than I do!
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-13-2002, 10:34 AM

Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
Jeanie,

The only thing I'm trying to do is to see if I can actually connect to a real site. I'm not really interested in downloading anything specific, or upload anything specific.

Doug,

Thanks for the suggestion. Does anyone else have trouble like this? I'm not sure I should be taking up space with these questions here. If not, please set me straight. Obviously, I didn't connect when I tried it, but why does it tell me that I'm connected, and just below that, it tells me that it failed? Does anyone know of a place that will explain all these little things?

Ed
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ftp screen.jpg (85.0 KB, 48 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-13-2002, 11:37 AM

Ed, I was just out for my morning hike and as I was hiking I thought to myself, "I wonder if Ed figured out his FTP problem? I'll have to check in with him when I get back." And when I checked, here was your "update".

I think (but I'm not sure) that the "connected" indication is just that it was able to make contact with the remote machine (kind of like a "ping", if you're familiar with that.) However, when it tried to log in with the userid/pwd that you gave it, that failed, hence the "connection failed."

I wasn't able to find anything on the web, but let me see if I can set something up for you to practice on. Another thought - does your e-mail provider also give you space for a personal website? If so, you should have instructions for how to upload files to that site. (And they don't have to be html or jpg files if you just want to practice - but you probably don't want to upload anything that you don't want other people seeing. )

Jeanie
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-13-2002, 05:32 PM
Janitor

Try this:

address: ftp.retouchpro.com
username: rptest
password: 497RFj309fh

Then find the test file

If you can do that much, you know all you need to know about FTP for basic file transfer.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-13-2002, 06:42 PM

Jeanie,

Thanks for your concern. You're a good gal!

Doug,

That actually worked! Is it OK if I send you a file over 4 megs, just to see if it will go? One more question - Will that be the username and password we use from now on? If not, how do we know where to send attachments to? And is it OK to send challenge submissions that way, or would that throw a wrench in your routine?

Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-13-2002, 07:00 PM
Janitor

Big wrench!

Hang on, a use for the FTP is coming.

There won't be a regular ftp site, since leaving something like that open and permanent is dangerous (with all the hackers and pirates around).

But in the meantime you can play with ftp.adobe.com, ftp.microsoft.com, ftp.apple.com, and ftp.any-company-you-can-think-of.com. They usually allow username: anonymous and password: your email address.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-13-2002, 07:19 PM

Ed, Did you get my e-mail? Feel free to try a 4 meg file to the site I gave you. (If you didn't get the e-mail, I'll try to PM you.)
Jeanie
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-13-2002, 07:44 PM

Thanks Doug and Jeanie. I'll be patient. I haven't checked my e-mail today Jeanie, but I'll do it soon. Thanks.

Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-15-2002, 06:23 PM

FTP Tip!

By now, everyone knows that I have about as much knowledge about computers as I do with brain surgery. When I downloaded the file everyone worked on, I wanted to open it in Photoshop. I received the message that Photoshop could not open the file because of an unexpected end of file was encountered. Not having any idea what this meant, I asked Doug, who suggested I download it again. When I started my FTP software, it asked me if I wanted to finish downloading the file in question. What? I thought I had done that already! But when I looked at the file size, the file on my computer was a little more than half the size of the one I wanted to download. So if you should run into something odd, check the file size to make sure you actually got the whole thing.

Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-26-2002, 10:11 PM

Being another big dummy about computers I wonder if I'm on the right track.
I've read a ton of help topics (not retained)...
One question,if this is the right area....what is the test file?Something I've saved to send ...?
the attach shows where I input ....rptest....

Somethig called Ftp Explorer.
Attached Images
File Type: gif ftp quest.gif (34.2 KB, 19 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software