RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Software Photoshop, Lightroom, Paintshop Pro, Painter, etc., and all their various plugins. Of course, you can also discuss all other programs, as well.

FTP (File Transfer Protocol)

Old 05-09-2002, 05:00 PM
Janitor

Ftp

Ok, it's been pointed out to me several times recently that not everyone knows how to FTP files. This is a very important task that anyone working with large files should know, so I've started this thread to make sure everyone does know.

FTP=File Transfer Protocol

There's a million different FTP apps out there. The WORST one is your web browser. Windows users can look here and perhaps someone can recommend a good place for Mac users to look.

If nothing else it's a easier way to nab all the Adobe support files instead of one at a time off the web

There WILL be a test (notice, no smiley)

This is important folks, get an app, learn to use it. At bare minimum you should know how to set it to a custom port, passive vs. non-passive mode, ascii vs. binary xfer mode, and how to save account preferences.

I like FTP Voyager, but CuteFTP and WS-FTP are also very popular. They look different, but all do the same things.

For Mac users I hear Fetch is good, but obviously we need someone to help here.

Get an app and play with it before asking questions. It's all a lot easier than it sounds, and a necessary piece of knowledge for folk like us (honest).

Old hands at this feel free to chime in and help the others out.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-09-2002, 08:15 PM

Great idea Doug! For those of you who don't have an FTP client, if you're a home or educational user, you can get WS FTP LE for free. I've found it to be straight forward and easy to use and a definite advantage when needing to transfer large files.

Jeanie
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-09-2002, 09:23 PM

We have the WS FTD Pro but it hasn't been installed on my computer yet. Guess I have something new to learn.
DJ
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-10-2002, 10:00 AM

Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
I downloaded the FTP Control, as well as two others, since computers and I aren't the best of friends. Not knowing anything about FTP, I downloaded the one free client, which doesn't appear too exciting. I also downloaded the WS FTD LE, which I haven't opened yet. I printed out some of the help files for FTP Control, and it seems to be straight forward, and pretty easy to use, although I haven't tried to use it yet. This is the one I'm going to go with, at least until I get my feet wet. It looks like a good one for beginners.

Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-10-2002, 06:23 PM

I'm like a first grader in post-grad school. Everything is brand new to me. Is it possible that we could have a "testing ground" for FTP? Or maybe a very basic tutorial for getting started?

Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-10-2002, 07:12 PM
Janitor

Here is a basic tutorial for the WS-FTP free version.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-10-2002, 08:09 PM

Thanks Doug. I'll give it a shot.

Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-10-2002, 09:22 PM

Fetch for Macintosh users...

Macintosh users can download a 15-day free trial of Fetch from here

After the free trial, the price is $25 USD.

I have used Fetch quite a bit and sprung for the license. If anyone has experience with any others, please post them.

Margaret
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-12-2002, 09:42 PM

I took the tutorial Doug gave me, and it seems pretty easy. I downloaded and uploaded a file through the tutorial. So I tried to connect to an FTP site, just to see if I could do it. No luck. About the only thing I could find in the search engines for FTP is mp3 files and software files, so I decided to try one of those sites. Taking the first artist from our music thread, I entered "Patsy Cline" in a search. Here's the first result I got:

ftp://oth:oth@get.2y.net/C:FTP Root/-=([ mp3 p])=-/patsy cline-back in baby's arms.mp3

After reading a bunch of ftp basics, my understanding is that the username would be "oth", and the password would be "oth". Is that correct? For the address, I typed the whole thing in the box. No luck. Then, I typed everything after the "@" into the box. Still got a failed connection. I'm getting pretty frustrated after spending so much time trying to understand it. What am I doing wrong? If I can't connect to one of these sites, how can I connect to this one? For what it's worth, I'm using WS_FTP95 LE.

When I entered "@", then an "o" in the address, it came out as a smiley!

Ed

Last edited by Ed_L; 05-12-2002 at 09:48 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-12-2002, 10:16 PM
Janitor

That's a browser address, not an FTP client address. Start your client, enter get.2y.net (the FTP address) and enter oth as the username and password, then hit connect (assuming that info is correct).

Not very easy to FTP unless you know where you're going. It's not a browser like the web.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software