RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Software Photoshop, Lightroom, Paintshop Pro, Painter, etc., and all their various plugins. Of course, you can also discuss all other programs, as well.

Win2K vs WinXP

Old 05-09-2002, 08:31 PM

Angry Win2K vs WinXP

Well, after planning for months to upgrade to Windows XP (from Win 98), I decided to double check that there are drivers for all of my peripherals. As it turns out, there is NOT a driver for my Minolta film scanner - and when I called Minolta support about this, I was informed that there would never be an XP driver. To say I am speechless is an understatement. Their excuse is that they are going to be discontinuing that scanner soon. So, that means that the thousands of people that have bought this scanner don't need/want to upgrade? With this kind of support, I will never by a Minolta scanner again. But that's another thread...

So, I'm in a bit of a quandry. My system has been acting very strangely lately and I'm expecting it to crash and burn any day now. I've pretty much decided that I need to take a couple of days and to a clean install since the current state seems beyond any sort of system utilities. (I've done this once before - reinstalling W98 - and it did help the stability of my system.)

But, I thought if I was going to start from scratch, I might as well bring my system into the 21st century and install Win XP. However, since I don't have the $$ to buy a new scanner, I'm now wondering if I should just reinstall Win 98 or upgrade to Win 2000. I've heard good things about Win 2000, but since it's $200 to upgrade, I'm wondering if this will keep me happy for a few years - or is it already "old" technology?

Also, how do those of you running Win 2K find the stability of your systems?

And is anyone running PS7 on Win 2K?

Any advice/experience would be appreciated. This decision is driving me crazy and I'd love to just get the whole process over with!

Thanks, Jeanie
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-09-2002, 09:15 PM

Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
Jeanie,

Before you drop the idea of XP, you need to know that there is a "compatibly" setting that can fool XP into thinking it is compatible with the program in question. BUT I have not used it. I'll dig out a little information for you, then get back to you on this thread unless someone else gives you the info first.

Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-09-2002, 09:23 PM

Certainly sounds interesting Ed. I'd like to know more about it. (Actually, I already have a VERY thick book on XP - anticipating a little early I guess - so I'll do a little research too.) I'd want to be sure it works before I went to all the trouble to install everything only to find out it doesn't work though! -Jeanie
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-09-2002, 09:41 PM

I've used it for some games but in reality it wasn't necessary. Things seem to run pretty well on XP for me without the compatibility feature. It's a tough call for you Jeanie. I thought Windows 2K was ok. As for Photoshop 7 it runs pretty good on XP but my son has 98 and is having troubles with it crashing on him repeatedly.
DJ
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-09-2002, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DJ Dubovsky
As for Photoshop 7 it runs pretty good on XP but my son has 98 and is having troubles with it crashing on him repeatedly.
DJ
Hmmm - perhaps it's good that I haven't installed PS7 yet then - esp. with the state my system is in! I've had it sitting here in the box for as long as the rest of you have had yours. Can you believe I haven't even cracked the seal on the box yet?!

Jeanie
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-09-2002, 10:03 PM

From what I understand, XP was built on the 2000 platform. So compatibility would probably not be an issue. (This coming from a guy who has a hard time finding the button to turn the computer on).

Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-09-2002, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ed_L
From what I understand, XP was built on the 2000 platform. So compatibility would probably not be an issue.
Ed
I think that's true in THEORY - but not always in practice. (I've been reading e-mails in the film-scanner e-mail list which indicate that at least one of the Polaroid scanners does not work in XP with the 2K driver.) -Jeanie
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-09-2002, 11:09 PM

Well, that shoots down *that* theory.

Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-10-2002, 01:00 AM
Janitor

I'm running W2K with PS6, and I'm very happy with it. Another machine has WinXP on it, and I'm not a big fan. Nothing concrete, it's just ugly and (to me) seems more intrusive. It should be noted that W2K is not as user-friendly as XP is designed to be. A lot of the 'friendly' features are exactly what I don't like

But, W2K is not a current product, and so should be approached as plan B.

There is a compatibility checker for those interested in moving to XP on the Microsoft website. It's about 20 megs, but it will check your system and warn of possible incompatibilities. No guarantee it will have an opinion on your scanner, though.

You might also want to check on the scanner usenet group to see if any of them are successfully using your scanner with XP. There is a chance it will still work.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-10-2002, 07:39 AM

You could set up a dual boot type system with 98 and XP, using 98 for those peripherals which wont play nicely with XP and vice-versa......Tom
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software