RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Software Photoshop, Lightroom, Paintshop Pro, Painter, etc., and all their various plugins. Of course, you can also discuss all other programs, as well.

photoshop cs2 wont registar

Old 10-14-2008, 10:09 AM

photoshop cs2 wont registar

I recently bought a new computer and installed my licensed copy of photoshop cs2. when I first started the program it asked me to register the program which i did and it told me that the program was successfully registered. now every time I open the program it asked me to register it again. I've tried several times and am always told the registration was successfull. any thoughts as to what i may be doing wrong? thanks Dennis
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-14-2008, 11:08 AM

Re: photoshop cs2 wont registar

Wish I could help. It's been so long since I installed CS2 I don't remember what the process was. Did the process take you out to Adobe's web site to verify your registration?

I don't think that CS2 had the online "authorization" process like CS3 does (phone home every time you run it to verify you are legal...I HATE THAT).
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-14-2008, 08:28 PM

CS2 did have the register online or by phone to verify a legal copy. i remember having to go through it. but, i dont think it 'phones home' each time you run it. at least, i've not had it bring up zone alarm asking to allow the connection. and it's not checked in zone alarm giving it access without prompting me. so, i see no 'phone home' going on.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-14-2008, 08:42 PM

Dennis,
That problem is not very common. So, there is not much history to use in solving your problem. Adobe does not list it on their forum.

One thing you did not mention was whether you unregistered it from the old computer first. CS2 does require you unregister before installing on another computer. If you did not, then the script on Adobe's sight could be running into an issue of its own - successful once, failing after the "phone home" thing.

If the old PC is around, turn it on and unregister Photoshop there. Then, see what happens. You may have to reinstall PS on the new computer as well.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-14-2008, 10:15 PM
Patron

There are two different processes - Registration and Activation/Deactivation. Registration only provides Adobe with your product and contact info. Activation is what you need to do to allow your s/w to keep functioning after 30 days. The activation process does not collect personal information and is separate from registration.
As for registration, you are not req'd to register the product and there should be a check box where you can click No and Don't Ask Me Again, to disable the thing from popping up again.
Regards, Murray
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-15-2008, 07:08 AM

After a lot of searching in adobe's knowledge base I finally found the answer. because I am now on windows vista I need to run the program as administrator. this is the link to adobe's site showing how to do this and it seems to have fixed the problem. thanks to everyone for their help.
http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/view...1569&sliceId=1
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-15-2008, 08:07 AM

Ahhh... the old "Cancel or Allow?" game. LOL
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-15-2008, 08:40 AM

the funny part of it is that after each time I I filled out the registration form with my name and email and all the other stuff they ask for and clicked the register button I would get a message saying that registration was successful. then the next time I started ps the registration screen would come up again. oh well just one more microsoft bug to work through.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-15-2008, 11:15 AM

I have had more problems with Adobe registration/authorization since CS3 than any other program I've purchased. Occasionally, about once a month, when I launch any part of CS3, I get a warning dialog that my registration is "about to expire". Also, if I try to deactivate CS3 I get a dialog saying I'm not allowed to do that and please call Adobe tech support. I have called Adobe and they have no idea what is causing this. Oh they run through the usual uninstall then reinstall CS3, and when that doesn't work they suggest I do a clean install of OSX (did that when I bought my MacPro), but the problem still persists.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-15-2008, 09:26 PM

denschneider,

the reason this kept asking you for registration is because if you didnt install with administrator priveledges, the software wont log correctly in the registry. so, each time you reboot the computer and use it again, or, in fact, any time you called up the software, the software cant find the proper registry entries to clear your use.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software