RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Software Photoshop, Lightroom, Paintshop Pro, Painter, etc., and all their various plugins. Of course, you can also discuss all other programs, as well.

vista/firefox/ie problems

Old 11-04-2008, 07:34 AM

Re: vista/firefox/ie problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazza64 View Post
Hi Palms,
Iv'e struck this problem a couple of times and I traced it to the phishing filter in the browsers settings, and also some security software.
Vista (any version) seems to have more trouble than XP with broadband connections after people have downloaded the updates, can you please list what security software you are using for me.

Regards
Barry.
The only addition to the security software provided by windows is avg 8

Palms
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-04-2008, 01:03 PM

Palms,

I know how frustrating it is - it's like getting ready to do your grocery shopping and the car doesn't start - some things should just work!

So you can't see the zolved.com webpages - what are some others that your browser cannot open? Maybe we can figure something they have in common if we see a few of the pages that won't open for your computer? I stayed with XP, but hopefully some of the Vista users can check the same pages also. I don't understand java, but I use Noscript on Firefox and the zolved.com page doesn't require me to change any script settings to see it like some pages do.

Oh, on a page that doesn't show anything, what happens if you right-click and choose "View page source" - does anything show up?
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-04-2008, 01:34 PM

www.apple.com
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-04-2008, 02:35 PM

Sorry to hear your having probs with FF, I've had my share recently. I was helped by the FF support forum, you could try there????
As for the fire wall, I personally don't use Windows version, I disabled it and installed Ashampoo's Fire wall. The price is right and its quite easy to set up and use.
http://www2.ashampoo.com/webcache/ht...t_2_0050__.htm

Peter
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-04-2008, 03:07 PM

Unfortunately i cant remember some of the pages i cant get onto but trimoons blog, you tube, and face book is intermittent ( not the only user of the pc )

And as of tonight i have had trouble getting on to the forum here, so yet again to make sure i have run spy bot ( i think it is about the 3rd time i have run it as well as a couple of others) there have been a few tracking cookies but that is it

so if i dont post for a bit you will know the reason why ( the smilies dont work now ) but i will be back have no fear

we have been thinking of a firewall but didnt want to make matters worse by installing one with the problems we already have,
thank you for all your helpful advice I have faith it will be sorted

oh and Markzebra your link worked think it is a sign ?

Palms
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-04-2008, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by palms1 View Post

so if i dont post for a bit you will know the reason why ( the smilies dont work now ) but i will be back have no fear

Palms
Palms the smilies thing was a symptom I had when had the problem about "no pics" the answer to that prob fixed the smilie prob at the same time.
check out :-
http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/web...tml#post202877
Also I believe Cookies can be to blame for a lot of this stuff.
Check this :-
http://support.mozilla.com/tiki-view...threadId198063
You'll see some of the probs I was having because of Cookies.

These steps are worth trying at least.
Best of luck

Peter
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-05-2008, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter S View Post
Palms the smilies thing was a symptom I had when had the problem about "no pics" the answer to that prob fixed the smilie prob at the same time.
check out :-
http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/web...tml#post202877
Also I believe Cookies can be to blame for a lot of this stuff.
Check this :-
http://support.mozilla.com/tiki-view...threadId198063
You'll see some of the probs I was having because of Cookies.

These steps are worth trying at least.
Best of luck

Peter
Thanks for the tips Peter i will have a look into them later although this problem is with IE and firefox.

As you can see back on her ok today i think it might of been the server last night giving me problems with the forum as if i dont have enough problems

Palms

Last edited by palms; 11-05-2008 at 06:48 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-13-2008, 01:27 PM

Just to keep you updated after a few weeks of pulling my hair out ( had to be mine hubby got none left)
We changed anti virus programme and when we rebooted most of out problems had disappeared there are still a couple of probs but much better now

Thanks for all your help

Palms
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-13-2008, 02:01 PM

Glad to hear that you could sort this out some :-)
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-13-2008, 02:23 PM

if you're still getting internet issues after the reinstallation of windows, it might not be your computer. I work at Univ of Calif Riverside and I've noticed similar problems both when I was living there and at the office. It had to do with how the network was setup with security devices. For example, we have this thing called packet shaper, it analyzes all internet traffic (Packet heads) to see what kind of data it is, and then it reroutes it accordingly to specified ports or certain speeds (UCR's way of limiting unwanted traffic such as bit torrent). I've noticed that sometimes chokes up or gets all screwy and it messed up the webpages being displayed. And also, most ISP have servers that cache commonly visited websites their customers views so that they can pull it up faster without wasting huge amounts of bandwidth. I.e.) They'll cache youtube and facebook so it loads faster for all their subscribers and so that they can save on bandwidth...and so on. Might be possible it's your ISP? Just a thought. Hope everything works out. If it was a software problem, hopefully the reformat has fixed it.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software