RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Software Photoshop, Lightroom, Paintshop Pro, Painter, etc., and all their various plugins. Of course, you can also discuss all other programs, as well.

what are your experiences with vista

Old 11-07-2008, 09:59 AM

what are your experiences with vista

I am wondering what everyones experiences with vista has been?. I bought a new computer 3 weeks ago that came with vista home premium pre loaded, I was a little unsure ab out the os after reading almost entirely negative comments. I was worried about finding drivers for my old scanner(epson2400) and old wacom tablet(over 5 years).
After a quick web search I found drivers for both, the only problem I had was getting photoshop to registar properly. that took a bit of time to resolve,but I evetually found a solution to the problem on the adobe web site.
All in all my vista experience has been so positve that I will be upgrading my laptop after christmas. Am I the exception to the rule?
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-07-2008, 10:15 AM

Re: what are your experiences with vista

Like you we bought a new pc with vista home edition already installed and was worried about drivers, software loading etc but had no trouble with any, the hardest was my printer ( which was new as well ! ! ! ! ! )
Having missed out completely on xp, the interface was a bit strange but it didnt hold us back
I am having a few problems now but not sure that i can blame that on vista ( which a lot of people seem to for everything) but it has only appeared after about 14 or so months of daily use.

Palms
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-07-2008, 02:10 PM

My only problem has been the ubiquitous losing-the-monitor-profile issue. Once I disabled the video card stuff in Startup, the monitor calibration holds ok on startup. But if my laptop goes to sleep, it still loses the profile on wakeup. I use Xrite's DisplayProfile app to overcome this problem, but like everyone else, I'm waiting eagerly for Microsoft to issue an update that fixes it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-10-2008, 04:12 AM

My problem involved in programs, some program work less good or doesn't work on Vista even that should work on vista.

Selecting lots of files take long time to load.
Annoying UAC even if you can disable you still get that annoying message at the buttom.

There's many stuff that's suck in Vista and many good been there, done that. Using Vista Ultimate 64 and 34.. I stick to XP SP2 for a while. It' still functional
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-10-2008, 06:58 AM

Hi denschneider,
Make sure your laptop has a minimum of 1gb of ram, preferably 2-4gb before you update, anything less it will run slower than with XP, Vista is a very resource hungry OS. Also check to see if all the software you have installed is Vista compatable.
Regards,
Barry.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-10-2008, 04:14 PM

No, you're not. There's not exception to the rule to begin with. Vista just doesn't like old hardware...it's probably how MS tries to tell PC users to keep up with the technology. If your somewhat outdated PC is running XP and you're happy with it, then stick with XP. If you're buying or building a new PC, then I don't see any reason why you don't want to move to Vista. Vista used to have issues when it first came out, but it's been very stable and runs faster ever since the release of SP1.
I just built my PC last month running Vista Ultimate 64bit (Vista shouldn't have even been released in 32bit with today's hardware) and I've had zero problem with programs and drivers. I got 2 BSOD's in the beginning, but they had nothing to do with the OS. One was the older version BIOS of the motherboard that's known to cause problem. The other one was the memory running at incorrect timing and incorrect voltage. After I flashed the motherboard to the latest BIOS and set the correct timing and voltage for the memory, my system has been running rock solid. I also overclocked my system and it passed a 36 hours torture test with Prime95. Everything is running noticeably faster in Vista. I get at least 10 FPS more in my DX10 games and get to experience DX10 in all of its glory. Photoshop loads in 3 seconds...probably less if UAC didn't pop up. My 2 gigs tiff files open almost instantly comparing to XP. I've been a long time XP user and now I don't look back after upgrading to Vista...just like I didn't look back to Window NT when I upgraded to XP and Window 98 before that.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-10-2008, 07:12 PM

now what did i tell you folks about buying first version software? you NEVER buy first version software, especially Microsoft first version software! lol. sorry, but having fought with quite a few versions of 'windows', i really cant apologize for slamming M$ products just a bit now and then
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-13-2008, 09:39 AM

I have had no problems with Vista Ultimate at all.

Mitch
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-14-2008, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damo77 View Post
My only problem has been the ubiquitous losing-the-monitor-profile issue. Once I disabled the video card stuff in Startup, the monitor calibration holds ok on startup. But if my laptop goes to sleep, it still loses the profile on wakeup. I use Xrite's DisplayProfile app to overcome this problem, but like everyone else, I'm waiting eagerly for Microsoft to issue an update that fixes it.
Hi Damo,

You shouldn't be losing the profile like that. It is possible to make any profile the default in Vista, but you actually have to do it yourself, and it is not widely known I think! In vista to make sure that your Xrites profile is being kept as default go to:
C>Windows>System32 and scroll miles down to Colorcpl and double click it. The color management panel will open and you may see the heading for the 'Devices' tab is "Display - Generic PnP Monitor" with your graphic card details.
If you tick the box 'Use my settings for this device' then click on your Xrites monitor profile, and then on the 'Set as default profile' button your problem should be resolved.
If you already knew all that I apologise, but I have talked to several people who didn't.

Roger
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-14-2008, 06:15 PM

adobe bridge doesnt run under vista air, turnig off vista air made painting,cloning etc. lag something fierce in ps. copying or moving files usually resulted in an alert-box saying "preparing to copy" which would in 9 times of 10 end in the comp freezing up requiring a reboot. i regret the day i heard about vista.. suckiest os ever. (anyone want to buy a copy of vista ultimate 32-bit
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software