RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Software Photoshop, Lightroom, Paintshop Pro, Painter, etc., and all their various plugins. Of course, you can also discuss all other programs, as well.

Hotmail Rules Change

Old 05-19-2002, 05:42 AM

Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
Come on Chris. I didn't ask them not to send me any!

Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-19-2002, 06:00 AM

Re: Fighting Spam

2. In the sig line of my newsgroup postings is an address that really will get the mail to me, but its through www.despammed.com which is a forwarding service that filters spam. After it has gone through despamming, it shows up in my OE mailbox

3. I also use the me@privacy.net address for sites I have to register for when I'm sure I won't want to receive mail from them but they require an email addy to register or get info. This also cuts all of the opt out caca

Well, it's obvious you know a lot more than I about email. Can you tell/help me how to git rid of the Koreans that are sending my 15-20 spams a day. I do a block sender and have set some rules about certain symbols, but it never stops. It's like they multiply. I use OE5.
TIA
Greg
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-19-2002, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Can you tell/help me how to git rid of the Koreans that are sending my 15-20 spams a day
You too!!! Those Koreans drive me MAD with their junk ... totally unreadable too. Please, if anyone knows what to do about these people, please tell all!
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-19-2002, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Sam

You too!!! Those Koreans drive me MAD with their junk ... totally unreadable too. Please, if anyone knows what to do about these people, please tell all!
I haven't had any of the Korean stuff show up, but read in a newsgroup that someone had copied some the odd symbols and put them in their filters. They said that had helped.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-19-2002, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Hotmail Rules Change

This might be old news but came as a surprise to me.
thanks chris, I hadn't heard about that yet. it doesn't really come as much of a surprise to me, because microsoft does that kind of thing all the time and I just use that email address for all the forwards and junk mail I get. thanks for the info

- David
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-19-2002, 12:50 PM

Thanks for passing on this great information Jakaleena, I'm sending it to all my personal contacts.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-19-2002, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ron
Thanks for passing on this great information Jakaleena, I'm sending it to all my personal contacts.
You're very welcome. My first and foremost rule these days is that I NEVER put my REAL address ANYWHERE on the web. I used to do that, and it really did get me good and spammed....

If for some reason I can't use one of the other email options I mentioned, I just don't register or use the website.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-19-2002, 10:16 PM

Wow - GREAT info Jak!! Thanks so much for posting it here.

As usual, I learn new (and useful) things here every day!

Jeanie
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-19-2002, 11:44 PM

Thanks Jeanie. I REALLY hate getting junk mail in my personal email box. I have really gotten on a vendetta against it lately. I hope this stuff is helpful. I'd love to see those guys have absolutely no one to send that crap to!

I just wanted to add a couple of things to that. I also do things to try to keep from contributing to my friends and family getting spammed.

1. I always BCC emails I send to multiple recipients instead of using To or CC. BCC is Blind Carbon Copy, and it just means that the email addresses of the recipients will remain invisible. That way, because so much gets forwarded, I'm not inadvertantly passing other people's addys around the net to Gawd Knows Who!

2. I either cut and re-paste messages to be forwarded or erase any residual addresses of anyone left on it.

Also, I just had a relative mention today that he thinks that spammers are getting his address from those free e-card places since he has a few people prone to sending e-cards to him. I am not one to really send many e-cards, but I have sent a couple in the past. I think I'll keep that in mind when I'm trying to protect my friends addys. I'd hate to be the one passing THEIR info around to spammers!
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-20-2002, 08:35 AM

spam

Jak: There is an app one can use that sends the spam back to the source. I may even have d/l it. I loose stuff in my HD. I'll look for it today.

If I had a fast connection, I would send a big graphics file, like 20mb, to jam up their mail.
Greg
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software