RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Software Photoshop, Lightroom, Paintshop Pro, Painter, etc., and all their various plugins. Of course, you can also discuss all other programs, as well.

Brush Fragmenting

Old 01-18-2009, 06:25 AM

Brush Fragmenting

I've just installed C S 4 and the brushes fragment at any thing above 60 pix. Adobe claim this is a Graphic Card issue . I'm using a Nvidia Quadro FX with 512 mbs . It is listed by Adobe as being compatable !
Anyone else had this problem or know how to resolve it ?
( I don't get any problem in Painter ) Bill
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-18-2009, 09:15 AM

Re: Brush Fragmenting

Could be the brush. If it's a brush created in low resolution it can look terrible if you enlarge it especially if you are working on a high resolution graphic. Does it do it with all your burshes?
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-18-2009, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampy View Post
Could be the brush. If it's a brush created in low resolution it can look terrible if you enlarge it especially if you are working on a high resolution graphic. Does it do it with all your burshes?
I'm afraid it's all the brushes , begining to wish I'd stuck with CS3 ! I've got the latest driver but it makes no difference . Thanks for your imput anyway , Bill
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-18-2009, 11:34 AM

This from the NAPP Forum

1. Unchecked "Enable Open GL" in Preferences > Performance and closed CS4.
2. Followed Dave's link and read Adobe's advice for checking the video card information.
3. Went to the video card makers website (mine is nVidia and there is a link to the driver downloads in the Adobe page).
3. Found the update - nVidia have an automated system for finding it on my computer, you can also find it manually using dialogue boxes.
4. Downloaded and installed the update and restared the computer. (Incidentally, the update was produced shortly after CS4 was shipped).
5. Opened CS4, checked the "Enable Open GL" box and closed and reopened CS4.
6. While I was there, I changed the scratch disks to put them in order of those with most remaining memory. But I'm not sure if this affected the brushes.

It does appear to be a graphics card issue according to messages on the NAPP forums. Open GL is a problem for some.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-18-2009, 06:32 PM

assuming the card is compatible and assuming it's all brushes like you say, and assuming you do have the latest drivers installed and installed correctly and that this actually is a card and driver issue, one thing you can try is go retro on the drivers. remove your current drivers for the card and install an earlier version.

also, check to make sure there are no other drivers installed for a video card. whereas i dont see this as much as i used to, there is a small chance of a dual driver conflict with more than one set of video drivers installed in windows.

also, is cs3 still installed with cs4 also installed? or did you install a cs4 upgrade copy?

have you tried an uninstall and reinstall of cs4?

have you checked over various preference files and such in cs4? i dont know of anything that would limit brush sizes to 60 pix, but it wouldnt hurt to look.

when you say it's all brushes, does that include all brushes with all tools or just one tool?

are you running xp or vista? if xp, do you have service pack 3 installed? service pack 2? if vista, do you have service pack one installed?

have you checked nvidia's troubleshooting? adobe's troubleshooting?
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-20-2009, 03:55 AM

Thanks for the advice , which I have followed to the letter , but to no avail ! It's a new system with Intel Core Quad 8200 Processor , 4 Gb Ram , 500Gb Hard Drive 32 Mb Cache . The Graphics Card is a QuadroFX 1700 512Mb .
I haven't a clue what all this means , I've just had a bloke to build it for me !
The brushes still break up , all of them including clone , eraser etc.
The card is on Adobe's list of tested cards !
I can't think what else I can do . Bill
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-20-2009, 06:46 AM

Gobsmacked - you can check whether its graphics card related in this way. You can actually turn Open GL off. Preferences/performance - enable Open GL drawing - you may find that this sorts your problem out.

This assumes the problem is with the display of your brushes only. If its actually painting broken strokes then its a deeper problem. In this case 1st trash your Photoshop preferences, second try reinstalling CS4.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-20-2009, 07:51 AM

I can't help you much more since I'm on a Mac and know zilch about PC hardware. :-(
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-20-2009, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markzebra View Post
Gobsmacked - you can check whether its graphics card related in this way. You can actually turn Open GL off. Preferences/performance - enable Open GL drawing - you may find that this sorts your problem out.

This assumes the problem is with the display of your brushes only. If its actually painting broken strokes then its a deeper problem. In this case 1st trash your Photoshop preferences, second try reinstalling CS4.
Makes no difference whether GL is on or off ! I think my only course is to change the Graphic card . All I need to know is which card works without any problems . Bill
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-20-2009, 12:09 PM

No Open GL affects rendering only - if it makes no difference to the problem, chances are its NOT graphics card related.

If you are on Windows I'm afraid there are many problems and bugs with CS4 on windows at the moment. Check out the Adobe Windows forum. They tried to introduce 16 bit functionality, but didn't have enough time to test it before they were forced to release
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software