RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Software Photoshop, Lightroom, Paintshop Pro, Painter, etc., and all their various plugins. Of course, you can also discuss all other programs, as well.

New, confused, and need help

Old 01-20-2009, 03:48 PM

Question New, confused, and need help

Hi!

I am new to the forum, and new to Paint Shop Pro...

I introduced myself here this morning (at the Salon Forum)..

Anywho... I recently purchased the newest Paint Shop Pro and I am making a logo. For this I need flames. I dowloaded a free trial of Alien Skin (eye candy - nature) of which I was told is compatible with Paint Shop Pro. (In fact, a girl I know has this plug in on her older version of PSP)...

Funny thing is, I downloaded, but I CANNOT seem to find it anywhere?!?!?!?!!?!?! I see it on my computer, I installed it to PSP, but I cannot find it anywhere in the program.

Now, I am very new to all of this, however, I can't help but feel kind of foolish...

Can anyone help me out?

Thanks so much,
Becky
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-20-2009, 04:00 PM

Re: New, confused, and need help

Mine went to brushes hope that helps. Pat
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-20-2009, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolli View Post
Mine went to brushes hope that helps. Pat
Thanks so much for the relpy Pat...

I looked in brushes and cannot find it there either ...

This is becoming a mystery to me, I hope I can find it soon!

Becky
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-20-2009, 08:09 PM

in paint shop pro, if you've installed correctly, you'll find your plugins in "Effects > plugins".

if you've not installed correctly, you'll probably not find them anywhere within psp. if that is the case, open up windows explorer and locate where you installed psp. this is often c:\program files\corel. within the 'corel' folder, if you scroll down, you'll find another folder called 'plugins'. your filter shld be in there. if it's not, then completely uninstall the filter and try installing again.

if it still doesnt work after that, and if you downloaded this filter, you may have gotten a bad download that says it's installing everything just fine, but may not be. try downloading the filter again, making sure you get the entire file. i find about 30% of my downloads are incorrect, at least lately (it used to be less and i'm not sure why this is).

and, if all this doesnt work, do post something else here. and if it does work, post that, too.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-20-2009, 09:22 PM

Craig,

Thanks you so much for your reply. I just got back on the computer from a fun evening with the kiddos. Now that they are in bed, I get to play... ummmmmm ~ work on the computer =)

I am going to give it a try and see what I find. I have a couple of assignments to post in my online classroom, then I will try what you said!

Thank you SO much, I will let you know how it all works out!

Becky
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-20-2009, 10:39 PM

Ok,

Homework posted and finished for the night

I went looking for the folder that you were talking about. I have another problem The folders when they were installed with PSP do not have actual labels (ie filters, effect, etc) what they have are numbers... so it looks like this

c:/program files/corel paint shop pro photo x2/corel_01

and the numbering goes on from there. the only wording that is shown anywhere says brush tips. So now, I guess I have to figure out which number correlates to the filters or plug in area....

Sooo, I either have to install and uninstall through trial and error (which would probably take days) or figure out wher eI have to put this sucker....

If anyone is familiar and can help me out, please let me know!

I appreciate the help so far!

Becky =)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-22-2009, 01:30 PM

UPDATE:

I tried my hardest to install this, I even found a fabulous blog/tut that explained step by step how to do it. I followed all of the steps... and still NOTHING

I am not sure where to go from here, any advice is appreciated!

Thanks!
Becky
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-25-2009, 07:00 PM

hi becky,

ok, alien skin, eye candy - nature is a plugin. and it does say it works with psp. so, there's several possibilities that could exist here: 1. you're installing the wrong product; 2. you're installing the right product in the wrong place; 3. you're installing the right product in the right place but it's a bugged copy; 4. your registry is screwed up somehow (unlikely, or psp wouldnt load, probably); 5. it's actually installed and you're not seeing it; 6. it's actually installed but the folder isnt being seen by psp and needs to be 'turned on'.

sounds like it's not #1.

when you try to install, what do you do? is the product a self-installer, one you double click on to install and not much else? or, is it a .zip file?

have you looked in the 'my psp files' to see if it's installed there? this is often found in c:\documents and settings\user name\application data\corel or some similar place (i hate windows user accounts)

have you downloaded this product more than once? what is the file size of the product and does it match up to what alien skin says it shld be? if not, then you have a bad download and need to download it again.

sometimes, the product you are looking for in the menu > effects > plugins is named differently than what you think it shld be. look for words or items named 'alien skin', 'nature', 'eye candy', and so on. i dont know the name you'd need, but check for something like those.

and in my corel psp files, i see a folder named 'plugins', but i'm using psp xi. so, i dont know for sure how psp's xii is. also look in the my psp folders for a 'plugins' and see your file is in there.

your file from alien skin will have the extension of .8bf on the end of the file. that is the standard plugin extension.

you could also check the other menu > effects categories for your filter, but in all previous versiosn of psp, the plugins were always at the bottom of 'Effects' in 'plugins'. may sure you mouse over these as those items can contain other items.

let me know what you find out.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software