RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Software Photoshop, Lightroom, Paintshop Pro, Painter, etc., and all their various plugins. Of course, you can also discuss all other programs, as well.

Freeware

Old 06-04-2002, 03:02 AM

great link! CloneCD looks even more interesting then I thought at first, and there's a great tutorial there on using it.

-David
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-04-2002, 05:32 AM

Dave,

I'm a great fan of Nero but Clone offers some interesting 'extras' !
Feurio is superb if your heavily into audio its obviously been a labour of love for its creator but it's so configerable at times it becomes baffling. Its strongest point is extracting data from damaged cd's.

http://www.feurio.com/English/index.shtml
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-04-2002, 12:57 PM

Hi chris,

Feurio sounds good too.
Quote:
it's so configerable at times it becomes baffling.
at least it IS configurable. I hate the built in software in XP for burning, you don't have any options at all.

- David
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-04-2002, 04:31 PM

I've used the XP facility, its handy for tossing a few files onto a CD quickly. What puts me of it is that I understand its a Roxio production and I've never had any joy with their burning software.
As youve probably gathered theres a huge number of burning programs available I keep playing around with them out of interests sake.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-06-2002, 01:25 PM

More on the Nero saga......

I installed a version that came with my Plextor burner about 5.1 and it loaded once and then 2K gave me the 'generated errors' panel and shut it down. I then downloaded the latest version 5.5 and the same result. Finally I borrowed a friends version that came with a Mirai burner and about 4 months old and tried that, it works perfectly ! I'm tempted to load the latest download as an upgrade on the working version but I think I'll hang fire for the moment. Nero has grown in size enormously since I first used it and its now burdened with label makers and other junk and in turn its being shadowed by small efficient progs like Clone. Are your experiences with Nero similar to the above ? these are the first problems I've had with it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-06-2002, 06:14 PM

Confirmed Nero 5.5 user here. Never given me any trouble and as I have also used and still do sometimes (for its childish interface) Clone CD I can't think of an area where Nero doesn't beat Clone CD.

However I am always open to hearing new tips or functions that I have been oblivious of - so pleeeease expand on the features that I am missing out on
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-07-2002, 11:21 AM

Essentially Clone is a copy utility and its easier to run and gets quicker results when burning than my present out of date version of Nero. I'm having problems with Nero on a new installation of W2K and am expecting a response from them to see if they can sort the problem. I understand 2K is very similar to NT and I can recall NT being very fussy as which programs it liked and those it just closed down as is my case with Nero. At the end of the day we're talking a couple of minutes in the burning process with a 24 speed Plextor a bit different from the days of my 4 speed HP ! I was surprised with the new front end of Clone its become a slave to animations which I hate in any type of utility, they're just a waste of time.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-09-2002, 08:19 PM

Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
Quote:
Originally posted by Blacknight

I jumped on this one, only to find that it has been discontinued due to issues with new browsers (possibly like the ones that plague us Mac users using IE here at this site). How unfortunate.
I just downloaded Popup killer. It is compatible with XP.

Here's the download site.

Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-10-2002, 02:26 AM

Unfortunately, Popup Killer has just failed its first test on my machine. While browsing cdrinfo (see one of Chris H's mails above) I hit an about:blank and a doubleclick ad - both popups
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-10-2002, 03:02 AM

I have Popup Killer and don't like it or any of the 2 other ones I have. I havent found a good popup killer yet.
I did install Mail Washer and it's not to bad, only used it one day on OE.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software