RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Software Photoshop, Lightroom, Paintshop Pro, Painter, etc., and all their various plugins. Of course, you can also discuss all other programs, as well.

Freeware

Old 10-18-2002, 04:26 PM

Was trying to find a free newsreader that supported yenc encoding. Came across this one, that is feature rich and is pretty easy to use. This was a $35.00 product, but the company went out of business. The main developer now makes it available as freeware.

I've only had it for a little over a week, but I like it a lot.

http://lightning.prohosting.com/~tba...ity/super.html
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-20-2002, 11:07 AM

David & Jak,

At the beginning of this thread, you both mentioned free anti-virus programs that you're using: AntiVir and AVG Anti-Virus. After a nightmare reinstall over the past couple of days (let's just say after three starts at a clean W2K install, I finally discovered that the new USB 2.0 card I installed was causing resource conflicts somewhere - finally removed it and things went much more smoothly), I'm finally ready to install some anti-virus software.

Per suggestions by Randy in my Hard drive problems thread, I don't want to install Norton SystemWorks. Unfortunately, SystemWorks is the only version of Anti-Virus I have, so I'm considering going the freeware route. It's been a few months since both of you mentioned these, so I assume you've had a few months of experience with them. Are you both still happy with them? Does anyone have any cautions about using one of these freeware versions vs. going with Norton?

Thanks, Jeanie
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-20-2002, 11:04 PM

I'm still very happy with AVG. It automatically updates its files, and I've set it to scan my HD daily as well.

But, it hasn't caught any viruses coming into my computer, so I can't say how it performs there. The only reason it hasn't caught one though is because I'm also using Mail Washer which catches them before I even attempt to download them from the server... Mail Washer has been 100% successful so far in notifying me of any viruses waiting in emails on the server for download.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-21-2002, 12:18 AM

Hi Jeanie,

so far I've never had any viruses, so I don't know how well AntiVir catches them. however, it has worked well, except for the internet update (which hasn't worked at all, it can't connect to the server, even with my firewall off)
I 'd suggest trying AVG first, and if it doesn't work for you, then try AntiVir.

- David
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-21-2002, 02:30 AM

Thanks for the feedback Jak & David. Interesting that both you you have never had any viruses to really "test" it! I seem to get them all the time (I got hit with about 15 Bugbear viruses when I returned from vacation about 2 weeks ago!) - and Norton has always caught them for me.

Interestingly, I found a PC World review of anti-virus programs and it listed AVG as one. They reported that it missed a few of the viruses in their test - of course, then weren't running it with Mail Washer. The only program they rated with 5 stars was Norton - because it caught every one of the viruses they tested it with and because of the easy interface.

Hmmm - not a clear decision (at least, not in my mind.)

Thanks for your help,
Jeanie
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-21-2002, 03:03 AM

Jeanie, you should run mailwasher. It deletes a lot of rubbish off the server which means less activity for your antivirus s/w (you don't even know that someone had sent you a virus).
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-21-2002, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Interesting that both you you have never had any viruses to really "test" it! I seem to get them all the time (I got hit with about 15 Bugbear viruses when I returned from vacation about 2 weeks ago!) -
Just wanted to clarify this a bit more.

I've had plenty of viruses try to get into my computer. They've just never gotten past Mail Washer, which they'd have to do before there would be a need for my AV program to deal with them.

Mail Washer catches them while they're still on the server, not as they try to enter my computer.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-21-2002, 09:41 AM

Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
I'm also running AVG, and mail washer. Mail washer seems to be doing an excellent job for me. Like Jak, I haven't had a virus yet. AVG also seems to be doing a good job, but it hasn't caught any viruses yet. Probably because I use mail washer before opening anything.

Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-21-2002, 10:49 AM

Thanks for the feedback on Mail Washer everyone. I've got a question. I'm on a LOT of e-mail lists and I've been concerned that some of those lists might look like spam to an automatic filter. Is there a way to determine what Mail Washer is catching? And if it's catching some stuff that I actually want to see, is is possible to customize Mail Washer to tell it what to let through?

Thanks, Jeanie
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-21-2002, 11:20 AM

You have total control over what it deletes and what it doesn't. It has a Blacklist and a Friend's List - the more you use them, the more "intuitive" it becomes.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software