RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Software Photoshop, Lightroom, Paintshop Pro, Painter, etc., and all their various plugins. Of course, you can also discuss all other programs, as well.

Freeware

Old 05-20-2002, 11:18 PM

Freeware

When I bought my computer about 5 months ago, I decided to put more money into the hardware instead of buying lots of expensive software, and waiting until I could afford all the programs I wanted. but actually I ended up only really spening money on the operating system (which was included in the computer price) and a few games. what I found was that I could find a freeware program that was almost as good or just as good as programs I would've bought. I found the programs mostly from searching on an excellent newsgroup(alt.comp.freeware) and links from posts there. here's a list of some of the best freeware and freeware sites I've found (I don't use shareware and adware, it's just annoying):

Freeware[list=1][*]GIMP (the Gnu Image Manipulation Program: A lot like PhotoShop, except for some things like different layout, no Dust and scratches filter etc etc. (for Windows and Linux)[*]Irfan View: Image/media viewer/editor/converter. view Jpg BMP Tif (and most other image formats) mp3 avi quicktime and others.[*]StarOffice 5.2 The best free office suite around. can even import files from all the MS office programs, edit them and export them again. (note: version 5.2 is free, but the new version 6.0 is $75 US)[*]Tiny Personal Firewall A great firewall, and its a really small download (about 700k)[/list=1]
Thats just a few of the programs I use almost every day. there's loads more that i use lots but I'm too lazy to type them out right now, and they can be found in most of the following links:

Freeware Websites[list=1][*]Son of Spy Freeware page [*]Pricelessware [*]alt.comp.freeware Newsgroup[*]Tucows note: this is not just a freeware site, there's lots of shareware and demos listed too.[*]Do a search on Google for freeware, and you'll come up with tons of other good freware sites. if you're looking for something specific, search for "image editing freeware" or whatever kind of software you're looking for.[/list=1]
the other way I've got some really nice software for almost free, is from magazine CD's (especially the british ones) often you can get full version programs a few versions back that are really expensive programs.
Anyway, thats how I get most of my software, and some of the great programs I've found. What's some of your favorite freeware that you've found?

- David
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-21-2002, 02:13 AM

Great idea, David. I'm a big fan of Freeware too (starving artist type you know...) Glad you mentioned Tucows - that's the first place I go looking when I need software.

Here's the freeware on my HD:

Sygate Personal Firewall - Really good firewall, easy to use and works great!

AVG Antivirus - Frequent updates, auto scan scheduling, check incoming/outgoing mail. I switched to it from Norton and love it.

Popup Killer - Closes all of those nasty little popup windows

X-news - Newsreader. I really like it much better than using OE, but it can be a bit confusing to configure.

Guidescope - Better cookie and privacy control than IE controls

Callwave - takes messages while I'm on the computer.

Mailwasher - Really cool Spam fighter that bounces back email to spammers and tells them "you've moved and left no forwarding address"

MWSnap - Screen capture program

Clean Center - Cleans up junk files on my HD

Irfan View - Neat little image viewer

Click FTP - FTP program

IMS Web Dwarf - WYSIWYG web page creation

And here is a shameless plug...

United Devices - This is the most important thing I do with my computer as far as I'm concerned. UD is a research project that uses my computer's free resources to do chemical/molecular computations. It is searching for information that will lead to a cure for cancer. The molecules are a scrensaver - I've gotten quite attached to my "pet molecules." This is completely unintrusive and runs in the background. It's a REALLY worthy cause for anyone like me who wants to do something charitable but can't afford to donate $$...
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-21-2002, 02:57 AM

hi Jak,
thanks for mentioning the United Devices thing. I think thats really neat what they're doing. (i'm downloading it right now)
just remembered a bunch more good programs:

AntiVir Personal Edition - Anti virus program

Adaware - Program for finding and getting rid of spyware on your computer

Spyblocker - Program that blocks banner ads, spyware, cookies, bugs, scripts etc.

WS FTP LE - An FTP program I really like

Pegasus - great mail program

1st Page 2000 - my favorite HTML editor I've found (I've tried lots and I find i can be fastest and get the least errors with this one)

WinMX - file sharing program

PuTTY - Telnet program

ConTEXT - Programming and text editor with highlighting for many different programming languages (HTML too)

Startup Cop - controls which programs open at startup

DLExpert - a download manager

CD-DA Xtractor - the only CD ripper I found that actually works (and it works great), outputs to wav, ogg, or mp3

- David
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-21-2002, 03:03 PM

Wow, you guys compiled quite a list of freebees. Great.
DJ
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-29-2002, 01:53 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jakaleena
RE:
United Devices:
I've gotten quite attached to my "pet molecules."
me too! I love that program, I just leave it running in the background all the time.

- David
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-01-2002, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Popup Killer - Closes all of those nasty little popup windows
I jumped on this one, only to find that it has been discontinued due to issues with new browsers (possibly like the ones that plague us Mac users using IE here at this site). How unfortunate.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-01-2002, 06:26 PM
Janitor

I use Popup Killer even though its discontinued and it works great. The download is still available, just the web updates have been deactivated.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-01-2002, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Blacknight

I jumped on this one, only to find that it has been discontinued due to issues with new browsers (possibly like the ones that plague us Mac users using IE here at this site). How unfortunate.
I can probably send it to you if you PM me with your addy. I'd be happy to give it a try anyway
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-02-2002, 04:40 AM

Here's another offering by a chap in Finland. 'Reg cleaner'

http://www.jv16.org/

its handy for getting rid of rubbish from the registry files. My friends have a habit of trying allsorts of rubbish programs from magazine discs and then ring me up complaining of the splashscreens that now appear. This is great for flushing them out and safer than bare arsed registry searches.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-02-2002, 06:30 AM

Whilst this may be off at a slight tangent (apologies). Residents of the USA are eligable for a free game made for the US Army. It is a 1st person perspective shoot-em up I believe and have heard the game is up to Operation Flashpoint standard. The US Army website has more details I believe.

Sorry to bring non applications into the thread, but it is freeware!
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software