RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Software Photoshop, Lightroom, Paintshop Pro, Painter, etc., and all their various plugins. Of course, you can also discuss all other programs, as well.

Photoframe 4

Old 02-27-2009, 10:18 PM

Photoframe 4

Does anyone have any experience and comments with regards to photoframe programs like photoframe4. They can be a little pricey and was wondering if you found them worth their money. I was thinking they could quickly enhance any photo book I was putting together.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-27-2009, 11:02 PM
Patron

Re: Photoframe 4

A question for you... Have you ever seen or heard of any Newspaper, Playboy, Harpers, Saturday Evening Post, Life, Time, Newsweek, Look, National Geographic or anyones Portfolio having frames around their pictures..?

Maybe you are dancing to your own tune.. which is OK.. if that is what you want...
Many years ago when I was doing some art work (Painting and Drawing) I was told that, "when your work is not up to snuff... put a nice frame on it to distract from the painting!"

I would think that for a front or back cover to simulate the photo hanging in the Louvre or something like that, then fine...... but come to think of it, even prints on exhibition are usually done with Gallery Wraps..

Besides, Frames are to easy to find on the WWW or not to difficult to make in Photoshop.... I would question... WHY Pay?
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-28-2009, 06:30 AM

good point...
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-28-2009, 11:01 PM

filter forge has a wide range of frame filters, from wood to glass to metal. http://www.filterforge.com
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-28-2009, 11:16 PM
RetouchPRO LIVE Guest Artist
Patron

0lBaldy listed mostly editorial publications where of course frames would look silly. But fine artists who display their work in galleries or on posters more often than not use some sort of frame to give the image presentation a little kick. The work of Scott Kelby and associates comes to mind, but you can find examples from many different photographers and studios.

As for software options for framing (a few of which I discuss below), see the list under "Edges/borders/frames" here for screenshots and examples.

While I have licensed versions of every title listed, I like PhotoFrame 4 the best, both for its choice of bundled professional frames and the ease with which you can apply and edit them. Photo/Graphic Edges 7 is also capable of beautiful work using its many presets but is a little less fluid to use. An interesting and very inexpensive option is EasyFrame, where you simply load a photo and click through a list of frames which you have imported.

And of course you can make your own! The plug-ins just make it easier to manage and apply them (aside from supplying ready-made options).
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-01-2009, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plugsnpixels View Post
0lBaldy listed mostly editorial publications where of course frames would look silly. But fine artists who display their work in galleries or on posters more often than not use some sort of frame to give the image presentation a little kick. The work of Scott Kelby and associates comes to mind, but you can find examples from many different photographers and studios.

As for software options for framing (a few of which I discuss below), see the list under "Edges/borders/frames" here for screenshots and examples.

While I have licensed versions of every title listed, I like PhotoFrame 4 the best, both for its choice of bundled professional frames and the ease with which you can apply and edit them. Photo/Graphic Edges 7 is also capable of beautiful work using its many presets but is a little less fluid to use. An interesting and very inexpensive option is EasyFrame, where you simply load a photo and click through a list of frames which you have imported.

And of course you can make your own! The plug-ins just make it easier to manage and apply them (aside from supplying ready-made options).
I would add too that frames also help protect the picture. Better to have a frame ruined than a work of art.

Steve C.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software