RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Software Photoshop, Lightroom, Paintshop Pro, Painter, etc., and all their various plugins. Of course, you can also discuss all other programs, as well.

scanner software/XP

Old 05-22-2002, 02:27 PM

scanner software/XP

Hi all!

Hopefully I'm not repeating a question here. I'm looking for software to use with my flatbed scanner that is XP compatible and deals with color well!

When I installed XP on my machine I lost the current software. I tried to re-install it and it doesn't like XP nor does the XP compatible version on the website.

I've tried Vuescan (?) which looked like it would do a fairly good job however the color isn't quite perfect (although it is hard to tell through the watermark, and I don't want to pay the fee until I'm sure it's the best solution out there).

What software is out there that you can recommend? Does it have a free download trial so I can see the quality?

All help is welcomed!!!

--Heather
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-22-2002, 02:30 PM

Did you try using the compatability feature with XP. You can make the software believe it's installing on 95, 98 or 2000.
DJ
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-22-2002, 02:40 PM

When I run the software it claims a file is missing. My husband is a computer wiz and he says it is a problem with their software. I was never overly impressed with it anyway so I'm looking for alternatives.

Thanks,

Heather
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-22-2002, 02:55 PM

Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
Heather,

Did you read all the help files for Vuescan? If you did, and didn't get results, I recommend you send an e-mail to Ed Hamrick. You should be able to get good color from it. Ed also frequents some of the scanner mailing lists.

Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-22-2002, 06:10 PM

Hi Ed.

Well my husband had a good point it could just be the gamma of my screen. I happen to know it is off by a bit so that might account for the slight off color. (Screwed it up a while back and still haven't got it quite right!) I have to say Vuescan did produce good detail in the whites of the dress (I was scanning a wedding photograph), and I was quite impressed by that.

So what do you guys think of Vuescan? Best choice out there? I would have thought there would be more comments on scanning software choices.

At this point I think I'll spend the money and get it. Unless I hear otherwise....

Thanks all ,

Heather
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-22-2002, 07:35 PM

Heather, I've been happy with Vuescan for a few months. It is mentioned ALL the time on the scanner lists whenever anyone asks about good software. I don't think you can go wrong with it. Ed Hamrick, the author, is pretty good at answering questions, though I think he's cut way back on the lists in the past few months because it was overwhelming for him to keep up with everything. But, there are still PLENTY of users who are well versed in the program if you have questions or run into problems.
Jeanie
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-22-2002, 07:51 PM

I've been well satisfied with Vuescan too. When I bought my scanner, I had a few old B&W negs that I couldn't get a good scan with. After downloading Vuescan I haven't found anything in my old negs that give me trouble. Another plus with Vuescan is that you get free upgrades.

Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-23-2002, 11:10 AM

Thumbs down Sold!

Well that's the type of endorsements I like to hear. I'm sold! Thanks for your help!!!!

--Heather
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-31-2002, 08:38 PM

Very Happy!!!!

Just wanted to update you guys. I bought the Vuescan software and I love it. I've yet to send anything to be printed but the results I get on my screen are wonderful... I scanned two photos recently that had major isues with exposure and both look better than I expected on the screen .

A++ recommendation from me!

Thanks for the help.

--Heather
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-31-2002, 09:24 PM

You're welcome. It's funny you should post this tonight. I was just wondering a few hours ago how it was workiing out for you (if you actually bought it). Looks like you'll have to write a review on it now.

Ed
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software