RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Software Photoshop, Lightroom, Paintshop Pro, Painter, etc., and all their various plugins. Of course, you can also discuss all other programs, as well.

computer

Old 03-22-2009, 04:22 PM

computer

For some reason I'm getting a file that pops up every time I start my computer called "veritus update manager" and it is looking for something an gets hung up. This file may have recently been downloaded when I received an update from microsoft for my XP windows (I think). Any one know how to remove this annoyance?
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-22-2009, 04:41 PM

Re: computer

You should look for 'Veritas update manager'. I have found several instances of posts about this message in google. I have not found the cure yet, but it seems it is linked with Veritas software used for example with Norton utilities for backup. More about it if I find a possible explanation and solution...

Edit:
have a look there:
http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/257135.htm
What is exactly your message, and do you have Norton utilities installed?
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-22-2009, 08:07 PM

Back in 2005, Symantec and Veritas merged. Symantec uses the Veritas software for backups mostly. You could either (a) reinstall the Symantec backup software; (b) remove the backup software through add/remove in control panel; (c) search for the update manager string in your registry and correct it or remove it. Many people are not comfortable with modifying their registry, in which case I would recommend a or b.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-22-2009, 08:26 PM

Why am I getting this message all of a sudden? I went to add/uninstall and this software seems to be a part of microsoft and is not an easy click to uninstall. I too have been looking at google for a solution. I see a lot of others who have had the problem but no simple solution..at least not yet....
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-23-2009, 10:23 PM

Certain malware often uses very close spelling to valid programs. I did not check to see if any variants were using a similar string. It is possible, but unlikely.

Usually, these pop up all of a sudden because the file the string points to has been deleted, is corrupt, or otherwise invalid. Anyone familiar with working in the registry could easily and quickly remove the string. It sounds like it's not too important, probably just checking for valid software updates.

It could be useful to download a freeware program that allows you to view and remove just startup strings from the registry. These are generally pretty safe. Just be sure to create a fresh "system restore" point prior to making any changes. Otherwise you can download a purchased product that will do the same. Another alternative is to allow someone to "remote desktop" to your computer and make the change.... or just live with it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-24-2009, 07:22 PM

thanks tommy
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-26-2009, 08:36 PM

this: http://www.windowsbbs.com/other-soft...annoyance.html sounds a whole lot like what you're talking about. however, you did say 'veritus' in your original post. so, if it really is 'veritus', ignore this
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software