RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Software Photoshop, Lightroom, Paintshop Pro, Painter, etc., and all their various plugins. Of course, you can also discuss all other programs, as well.

DaPainter.

Old 04-21-2009, 04:16 AM

Re: DaPainter.

Hey Lyle, great find.

Have you figured out how to turn that canvas texture off?
Just by watching it paint helps me to learn the process of painting.
Are there any other programmes or plug ins that let you watch it paint like this?
Thanks
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-21-2009, 07:41 AM
Patron

It's just an uncheck of a box. I wish the box was unchecked by default, but oh well. Blogged about that on Mediachance's forum. Did find out how you can replace the canvas with something else, but you have to manually replace a file (someone smarter then me gave me the info). If you want to keep the canvas, you will need to back up the original before doing so of course. Not going do this since I prefer to apply my canvas of choice in GIMP.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-21-2009, 01:27 PM

My only complaint is that you really have to work hard to get detail, at least from the images I have tried.

Here is one I did with the program. Sorry, forgot which preset I used as I was switching around and saved this one.

Steve C.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg aa paris st dp.jpg (99.6 KB, 178 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-21-2009, 01:45 PM

Steve, I have been playing with this little proggie as well and I noticed that when you move the impressionist slider to the left toward faithful, it starts with better detail, and move the brush size quite soon to the smaller ones...depends on the image though, hope that works a little better :-)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-21-2009, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amica999 View Post
Steve, I have been playing with this little proggie as well and I noticed that when you move the impressionist slider to the left toward faithful, it starts with better detail, and move the brush size quite soon to the smaller ones...depends on the image though, hope that works a little better :-)
Yes...I tried the same thing and with the setting on continuous. I will try moving the brush size sooner after starting the process and see how that works.

Also in the tutorial it states that you should be able to see the stroke number change as it paints. It says you can stop it after a certain number of strokes. Am I blind or is this hiding somewhere. On my copy it tells how many strokes are going to be used, but does not change. Am I looking in the wrong place or what?

Help!

Steve C.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-21-2009, 04:34 PM
Patron

Stroke number is located in the upper right of the image when it is running. Also, you can adjust the edge detect slider to milk more details as necessary. Still, I concerning this gem a tool; Most of what I've done has (at least I felt it needed it) needed some additional tlc in GIMP; blends with the original and all. All I have to say is that I'm one step closer in getting the computer to do all the work. May not find joy in it when that day comes though.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-21-2009, 05:12 PM

Has anyone tried Painters auto paint function?

If so, how does it compare?
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-22-2009, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Conway View Post
Yes...I tried the same thing and with the setting on continuous. I will try moving the brush size sooner after starting the process and see how that works.

Also in the tutorial it states that you should be able to see the stroke number change as it paints. It says you can stop it after a certain number of strokes. Am I blind or is this hiding somewhere. On my copy it tells how many strokes are going to be used, but does not change. Am I looking in the wrong place or what?

Help!

Steve C.
It's the red countdown on the top of the image. If you right click into the image you'll pause the autopaint and you can move the point of focus directly to the desired parts...Tried that on portraits, but it doesn't work so well, yet, on landscapes it does nicely, though.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-22-2009, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amica999 View Post
It's the red countdown on the top of the image. If you right click into the image you'll pause the autopaint and you can move the point of focus directly to the desired parts...Tried that on portraits, but it doesn't work so well, yet, on landscapes it does nicely, though.
Same here. It does not add enough detail to do justice to people images. In fact a way to add more detail to the whole image...(if you want it)...should be available. I like the effect presets pretty well, but I ran one image over 1000 strokes and still did not get the detail it needed.

Also I finally found the countdown. Due to size of image, had to run sliders all the way left and all the way to the top to see it.

Thanks Amica.

Steve C.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-22-2009, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkroll View Post
Stroke number is located in the upper right of the image when it is running. Also, you can adjust the edge detect slider to milk more details as necessary. Still, I concerning this gem a tool; Most of what I've done has (at least I felt it needed it) needed some additional tlc in GIMP; blends with the original and all. All I have to say is that I'm one step closer in getting the computer to do all the work. May not find joy in it when that day comes though.
Yeah, I finally found that counter by moving the sliders on the image. Thanks.

I tried the edge detect and it does help. But, like you I have to sharpen the image and do some other tweaking on it in PSP to get it good enough for me. Even then I need the great look of the brushwork etc. the program offers coupled with more detail.

BTW...registered on the forum for DaPainter, but site must be down, couldn't get on........unable to connect etc.,etc.

Steve C.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software