RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Software Photoshop, Lightroom, Paintshop Pro, Painter, etc., and all their various plugins. Of course, you can also discuss all other programs, as well.

DaPainter.

Old 04-16-2009, 10:47 PM
Patron

DaPainter.

A few months ago, I started playing with a cool program called Arcimbolder. Today someone on DPR's site pointed out a cool new Autopainter called DaPainter. I really was impressed with the quality; even better then Arcimbolder, so I went to Roman's website (Arcimbolder) and he actually linked Mediachances website to this program. Also, based on a few additional things such as the ACP brush set (identical name in Arcimbolder), I pretty much put two and two together and figured that Roman had a hand in this gem. I'm simply in awe with the results that this one gives. Paid $40 for it, and you all know how cheap I am. Will enjoy additional play with this program for sure. Not directly linking Mediachance's site since it is a commercial site, but you all can Yahoo it (or Google; I'm a Yahooligan though; lol). I used the Monet preset for this one (reduced the size too, but trust me, it looks cool; need to figure out how to disable canvas so I can put in my own though).

ref: http://www.fontplay.com/freephotos/s...p121806-04.jpg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fp121806-04_DAP_Monet.jpg (197.5 KB, 287 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-17-2009, 10:17 AM

Re: DaPainter.

Sweet little tool. Been playing with it for about an hour and really like the outcomes. Thanks for pointing
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-17-2009, 10:59 AM

Good stuff, LK. Appreciate the info.

If you have some time I'd be very interested in seeing one of your "before/after" interpretations on a face.

FYI: OK to post links here. You won't get banned like DPR!
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-17-2009, 12:36 PM
Patron

LOL. Thanks Danny. Below's the link to Mediachance's DAP site and below that is a link of a thread that I did something with it (Pastel). I did get an email from Román Cortés who confirmed that he is the originator of Arcimbolder and also the biggest developer of DAP. Cool that he took the time to both confirm my suspicians and tell me why he did so (busy guy and he actually tried to get help from the Open Source community to Open Source Arcimbolder, but couldn't; I see no problem getting paid for an effort with the quality of this gem though; kudos to him).

http://www.mediachance.com/dap/index.html

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=31618476
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-18-2009, 09:13 PM

Great find Lyle. I've been playing with the free trial and this program is the best auto painter I've ever seen. It's better then Corel Painter's auto feature. Very cool.

Joe
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-18-2009, 09:25 PM
Patron

I think so too Joe. Still haven't figured out how to get a better portrait painting out of it (people are very subjective subjects; lol). Really does do pretty good work on still lifes and landscape/cityscapes.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-19-2009, 02:59 PM

does it come with in a mac version? looks great
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-19-2009, 03:52 PM
Patron

I don't believe Mediachance developes for the MAC platform, but I'm not sure. I do know that currently only a PC version exists. I know Román originally intended to develope Arcimbolder for the MAC too, but didn't have the resources or time to continue this project and couldn't find volunteers in the Open Source community to help him. Oh well. Maybe, if really becomes a popular program, they might try to port it to MAC too.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-20-2009, 10:52 AM

I'm convinced and took the intro price plunge. Very cool little applcation.

re: people subjects

I'm using the DaPainter program to create multiple versions of a given "look," each saved as an individual .jpg file. Then I use Photoshop to open each and combine them into a layered image. I use Layer Masks to "reveal the best of each layer." To finish up I copy/paste the original (source) as a top layer and use a Layer Mask to reveal a facial detail as needed.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-20-2009, 11:32 AM
Patron

Yes; that's pretty much what I've been doing for people portraits Danny (and a few other things too). Still, this one's a gem. Joined the MC blog for DAP too and posted a few things their (including my first custom AOP file that I call Paisley).
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software