RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Software Photoshop, Lightroom, Paintshop Pro, Painter, etc., and all their various plugins. Of course, you can also discuss all other programs, as well.

Plugin or action idea

Old 05-30-2002, 07:49 AM
Janitor

Plugin or action idea

Reading how many ways there are to view differing b/w channels I had a little idea. Perhaps someone with the requisite skills could turn it into a plugin or an action.

What I envision is having your image, clicking on the filter or action, and getting a one-page view of the individual RGB channels, the individual CMYK channels, the L channel from LAB space, and anything else that comes to mind.

A plugin filter would have the advantage of being able to view them on a single page, clicking on them, and having that view become your working layer.

An action might just have to do 3 duplications, 3 conversions, then 3 channel splits (although if you watch the automated contact sheet they have a way of putting them on the same page, which would work if adequately labeled, and might even work out better, since you could print it).

So, any takers? Is there someone that feels up to this?
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-30-2002, 09:34 AM

Doug - I have no idea how to do this, but it sounds REALLY cool!! I'd also like the ability to move the images on the contact sheet around so that I can view to similar ones side by side. (I.e., I often find it useful to compare the cyan channel from CMYK and the red channel from RGB side by side.)
Jeanie
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-30-2002, 10:59 AM

Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
That's a great idea. I wouldn't be the one who has the skills to do it though.

Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-30-2002, 04:51 PM

OK... I'll take a swipe at an ATN

Funny you should mention this, Doug. I was messing with an ATN just the other day along these lines.

I started out with the vision of plunking down the individual channels side-by-side in the same document and somehow labeling them appropriately or doing as you suggested (individual files, properly labeled and doing the automated contact sheet thing). After struggling awhile came to the conclusion that the channel split method works for my purposes. One can easily hide / show / position chanel images for easy on-screen side-by-side comparision.

Far as I know 5.5 doesn't have menu commands (that work in actions) that will shift PS into Full Screen mode, hide all the palettes nor "tile" images on-screen. Not a showstopper, but a little annoying.

The new PS7 scripting engine probably would enable one to get around any ATN limitations, but havn't got there yet. (I've learned so many programming languages over the years, the prospect of another one doesn't float my boat. Maybe in 2004!)

Doing the ATN in 5.5 would have the advantage of (theoretically) being compatibe with PS 5, 5.5, 6, 7...

I'll fine tune the .ATN I started, put a few "STOP - comments
and post it -- probably late Thursday night -- for evaluation and field testing. If nothing else it will give folks something to chew on and improve.

~DannyR~
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-30-2002, 06:18 PM

Doug

You read my mind. After Flora discovered the huge detail in the cyan channel of the current challenge, I thought it would be so helpful to be able to see all of the channels at the click of a button. I even started to read about actions.. Having no experience with actions, I am approx. 10 years away from being able to create this.. I hope Danny has success.. It would be a great first step in any restoration..

Jerry
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-31-2002, 02:45 AM

Show all channels ATN (ver 1.0)

OK gang... Here's my first public posting of an action.

Purpose:
This action will generate and display the corresponding RGB, CMYK and Lab channels for a given image.

FAQ:
* Will this action run under "my" version of Photoshop?
I believe so. This action was written using PS 5.5, so it should work in PS 5, 6 and 7 as well.

* Will this action work on a Mac?
As far as I know, yes... But don't hold me to that. (Would someone from the Mac side of the world care to comment?)

* How do I try this out?
- Right-click the attachment icon below and choose SAVE Target As... from the menu. This will initiate the download. Select a convenient place on your hard drive, e.g., your Desktop, to save the zip file. It's small, so it should only take a few seconds.
- Unzip the action. Save the "Split Channels.atn" somewhere easy to get to, for example, your Desktop.
- Open Photoshop.
- View/Show the Actions palette.
- Open the Actions palette menu (click/hold the triangle at the top-right of the palette) and choose LOAD ACTIONS
- Navigate to the location where the .ATN file was saved on your hard drive, click on the filename (so it highlights) and click LOAD. This will append the .ATN group to the BOTTOM of your Action palette.
- Scroll to the bottom of the Action palette.
- Click the 'triangle' to the left of the Action group name (Split Channels). This will display the actual action within the action group.
- At the bottom of the Action palette click the PLAY icon (triangle) and follow the screen prompts.

Limitations
1. It is not completely automatic end-to-end. There are a few things PS actions cannot do.
2. It will work if there are multiple images open, but only if the target image is the LAST image listed in the WINDOW menu.
3. When the action is complete, a prompt will instruct to
* Hit the TAB key (to hide palettes)
* Select TILE from the WINDOWS menu

After the images are tiled, minimize the unnecessary windows and select TILE from the WINDOWS menu again.

Disclaimer / Feedback
Though I've hacked a few actions for my own purposes, an action expert I'm not. Suggestions, comments, problems are welecome either by posting to this thread or via Personal Mail.

Good luck...

~DannyR~
Attached Files
File Type: zip split channels.zip (1.0 KB, 50 views)

Last edited by DannyRaphael; 05-31-2002 at 02:55 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-31-2002, 07:49 AM

Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
Danny,

Thanks very much for taking the time to make it available for us. I have it downloaded, but no time to try it now. Thabnks also for the description on using the downloaded file.

Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-31-2002, 01:58 PM

Thanks Danny

I just downloaded your "Splitchannel" action. I ran it in PS 7 and it worked very smoothly. Your instructions were right on.. This is a great analytical tool for retouching. I am now going to study your action to see if I can learn about these macro's.

Thanks again for taking the time to write this and sharing it with us.

Jerry
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-31-2002, 04:48 PM

Jerry...

Your kind comments and verification the .ATN works under PS7 were greatly appreciated.

I've found that a very good way to learn to write .ATNs (and bull-eeve me, I'm a rookie at it), is to download, run and dissect .ATNs written by other folks. If you haven't yet, I'd recommend checking out the Action Exchange at Adobe.com.

Some are great. Some are horrible. But I almost always learn something by slicing and dicing... not just from the "how to build a better .ATN" perspective, but how folks use PS functionality I've never used (or heard of). Believe it or not I finally found an obscure, but semi-practical use for the "Plastic Wrap" filter from an action.

~Danny~
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-01-2002, 11:47 AM

Danny,
I also tried it on PS7 and it worked perfectly. I don't have other versions installed to try it out on. THANKS so much for putting this together - this will be VERY helpful!
Jeanie
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software