RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Software Photoshop, Lightroom, Paintshop Pro, Painter, etc., and all their various plugins. Of course, you can also discuss all other programs, as well.

Kai's Power Tools/KPTX

Old 06-04-2002, 01:55 AM

Kai's Power Tools/KPTX

This seems like a good thread to ask this...I downloaded a "filter" called KPTX about a year ago when it was being offered for free. It's now part of a series of filters called Kai's Power Tools 6, I think. Regardless, this little tool does what to me are amazing things with Photograph scans.

It has an equalizer that adjusts like an audio equalizer with sliders to enhance either background or foreground. It has a "bounded" sharpen (which is why it seems to fit here to talk about it) that sharpens without the "blooming" of whites that you get when you oversharpen with things like unsharp mask, etc.

It also has a contrast sharpen, but I don't see it as being any better or different than regular Photoshop sharpen.

Does anyone else use it? I haven't heard it mentioned here. I think it's great, myself, and just wondered if it has become obscure or unknown or what.

Reply With Quote top
Old 06-04-2002, 02:25 AM

Hi Blacknight,

I don't use them myself, (i dont even use photoshop) but it's been mentioned a couple times around here.
see: http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/sho...s=&threadid=56

and try a search on the forum for "Kai's Power Tools"

- David
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-04-2002, 02:48 AM

Oh - there it is.

Not much mention of it or enthusiasm for it, it appears.

Well, was just wondering if I was the only one that thought it was cool.

Reply With Quote top
Old 06-04-2002, 09:39 AM

I have KPT 6 and I use them. They're great filters with some impressive features.
DJ
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-04-2002, 09:39 AM

Blacknight, if you think the tools are useful, why don't you right a review telling us why - and how you use them (esp. in the area of restoration/retouching)? Everyone has their opinion and there's room for multiple ones here.

Jeanie
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-04-2002, 11:10 AM

They sound really interesting. Do you have the link to get to them. Are they still available as freeware?
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-04-2002, 04:38 PM

I have Kai's Power Tools 6, but don't use them very often. They came in a bundle with another program and I haven't really bothered to learn what they are all about. So, Blacknight, if you write a review it might prompt me to investigate them.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-04-2002, 09:26 PM

It looks like bad news on the freebie front Jak The free giveaway had a limited period of takeup for it and to add to the doubt Metacreations no longer exist in the same form after being bought by Corel - gahhh!
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-04-2002, 09:55 PM

Hi Blacknight,
I downloaded KPTX-Equalizer when it was free for a short time. It is the best sharpening filter I have used but seems to take a lot of experimenting for each image. Settings that looks good on one image dosen't always work on the next one. I'm glad you brought this up because I haven't installed it on PS 6 yet
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-04-2002, 10:10 PM

It came with a PDF explaining in detail what things do and how they work. I could write something using that as a reference, or maybe zip the PDF and post it here.

I've only tried twice downloading something someone posted here as a zip and had no luck in getting it to work for me, so maybe I will try uploading a zipped PDF and you guys can tell me if it worked for you or not.

Whatcha think?

Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software