RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Software Photoshop, Lightroom, Paintshop Pro, Painter, etc., and all their various plugins. Of course, you can also discuss all other programs, as well.

Actions, brushes, swatches, styles, textures etc.

Old 12-06-2003, 10:02 PM

PS 6 and above

While surfing today I came across Thomas Niemann 's site (again) that I believe has some really good information:

http://epaperpress.com/psphoto/

Under the Black and White tab is a Classic Tones category where Thomas Niemann graciously shares some Curves presets.

I took the liberty to convert these presets into an action.

~Danny~
Attached Files
File Type: zip thomas nieman tones.zip (1.7 KB, 461 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-03-2004, 01:21 PM

a question from the land of ignorance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakaleena
Clean up cracks & tears with this action

Click here for Decrack Instructions
I am the newest of new. The instructions re adding the tool are over my head. Can you break it down?

Especially: "Load the .atn file into your action list."
and even: "Run Decrack"...I know this seems utterly simple- but I
have no clue as to how to do these actions. So...return to kindergarten?

As Denzel once said – in the movie Philadelphia – “Now, explain it to me like I'm a four-year-old.”
many thanks- Jim

Last edited by Jim T; 07-03-2004 at 01:59 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-03-2004, 02:24 PM

Hi Jim:

Welcome to RetouchPRO. We've all been where you are (at the beginning) at one time or another, so no problem.

Once you've download the .zip file onto your hard disk:
* Unzip it and place the .atn file a convenient location. Some people like to put all their .atn files downloaded from the Internet into a single folder. In the big scheme of things, Photoshop really doesn't care where you put it. Make it easy on yourself.
* Open Photoshop
* If the Actions Palette is visible, Window > Actions (or F9) to show it
* From the Actions Palette menu (black arrow, top right), choose Load Actions... and navigate to the .atn file.
* Click on it so it's name populates the Load Actions window; click OK. This will copy the .atn file into the Actions Palette (it will be appended as the last entry at the bottom) and you'll be good to go.

To apply the action you'll need an open image. Probably not a bad idea to duplicate it, just in case the action trashes it. Not likely, but just in case.

Within the Actions Palette you will see a horizontal gray bars. These are "action sets," comparable to folders for organizing actions. Inside the Decrack action set is the action itself (horizontal white bar). Click on the action name, highlighting it. (This tells PS what action to play.)

At the bottom of the Actions palette are several controls, one of which is a triangle. Click the triangle to play the action. There are two self-explanatory prompts to which you can reply OK to each. In the High Pass filter dialog, set the radius as you deem appropriate for the subject image.

When the action completes, if you don't like the results, drag the layer created by the action into the trash and play the action again, specifying a different High Pass setting.

Check Photoshop's help on "Automating tasks" as well as www.AtnCentral.com, where you'll find an excellent tutorial on actions.

Hope this gets you moving.

~Danny~
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-11-2004, 11:35 AM

Shadow & Highlight Control

Their are Four actions in this zip folder for highlight and shadow control. Luminosity,Red,Green,Blue. The whole key in using them, is in the blurring of the duplicated channels. These actions are based on Dan (The Man) Margulis' article in Electronic Publishing (Sept.2004)(free reg. required)

Making Two Ends Meet

as well as Photoshop User Magazine. The article explains on how to use these actions for highlight and shadow control. The only thing you have to do, is while these actions are running is to apply a blur (action prompt) to the highlight and shadow of the duplicated channel. Which one to use for your type of work? Please refer to the above hyper link to read the article. Again... It's free. If in doubt, use the "luminosity" action. In fleshtones use the "Red" action. Setting the blur between 10 and 20 is good. The power of these actions is blurring the highlight and shadow with seperate settings. These actions have been tested for P.S.CS and 6. They will not alter your layered file. As always, please run these actions on a test file before using on a live file. These actions are much like the highlight and shadow command in P.S. CS. These actions give you more control over this process though. To some the highlight and shadow command might be faster, Also the command has a sharpening factor, as well as additional controls for adding color. This action "could" be useful for P.S. Elements. I have not tested this though. As I know very little about this program, or how to use it.

John

p.s. Forgot one important thing. When the action finishes. You can adjust the shadow and highlight layers opacity, to taste.
Attached Files
File Type: zip shadow_highlight_control.zip (967 Bytes, 233 views)

Last edited by john_opitz; 11-11-2004 at 03:02 PM. Reason: forgot one step
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-11-2004, 12:13 PM

Great golden nuggets, John.

Thanks for sharing.
~Danny~
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-02-2004, 11:31 PM

Starburst

Here's an action that probably won't have a lot of practical value, but it could be educational if you're into dissecting actions. It is based on this tutorial.

It applies two not-frequently-used filters, Stylize > Extrude and Distort > Polar Coordinates to create a colorful starburst.

You can play it using the default settings and pre-selected colors or select custom colors as the action progresses.

Have fun...

~Danny~
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ART-Extruded Bullseye.jpg (79.4 KB, 80 views)
Attached Files
File Type: zip ART-Extruded Bullseye.zip (2.1 KB, 113 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-03-2004, 07:01 AM

You are right about practical, in my book at least. However, I teach a dyslexic young man who has a mind like a steel trap. He may not be able to read well; but he remembers everything and he is as thirsty for this kind of stuff as anyone I've ever met. My thanks to you from him. This is right up his alley. He will have more uses for this than you can imagine.

Janet
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-07-2005, 03:26 AM

Cross process action

Heres a simple cross process action I made, it gives the effect of developing colour neg film in slide chemicals and vice versa C41 to E6 and E6 to C41. Wayne
Attached Files
File Type: zip waynes cross process.zip (605 Bytes, 184 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-07-2005, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swanseamale47
Heres a simple cross process action I made, it gives the effect of developing colour neg film in slide chemicals and vice versa C41 to E6 and E6 to C41. Wayne
Greetings, Wayne:

Two very interesting actions. Thanks very much for sharing your craftsmanship.

Don't take the following as "complaints" or "criticisms." They are suggestions to consider that would make your actions a little more user friendly and flexible:
* Instead of an Image > Adjustment > Curves step, record a Curves Adjustment Layer. This would allow the user to fine tune the effect once the action completes. It also avoids a nasty "Curves command not available" error message that will be generated under some circumstances if the user is applying the action to a multiple layer file.
* Once the adjustment layer is created, rename it to "Curves - C41 to E6" (or E6 to C41). That would help keep track of what effect was applied 6 months from now, long after I forget which one I used, when somebody asks, "How'd you DO that?"
* Next, record a "move current layer - to front" command. Normally you have to do this after the first pass of action recording is finished. The open image will need to have at least 2 layers plus the Background. Click on any layer as long as it's not the Background and not the top layer. Click the Record control at the bottom of the Actions Palette. (assuming Windows), while holding down Shift and Ctrl, hit the ] (right bracket) key. This will move the selected layer to the top of the layer stack. STOP recording.

Why do this? It ensures the Adjustment Layer will always reside at the top of the layer stack regardless of how may layers the image has or what layer is active when the action is applied. It's just a little insurance against getting unexpected results.

Check THIS POST for an example I was able to create by messing with a Curves Adjustment Layer settings.

Again, your sharing is greatly appreciated. I had a lot of fun experimenting with both actions.

~Danny~

Last edited by DannyRaphael; 01-07-2005 at 01:58 PM. Reason: Added link to example generated with C6 to C41 action.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-07-2005, 02:35 PM

Sorry Danny, I'm reasonably inexperienced at making actions, and didn't think of putting them on different layers, I will bare it in mind next time. They were made originaly for a particular set of pics, I was trying to reproduce the effect of cross processing (copying actual photos) and got pretty close (I thought) I like your pic, what did you alter? Wayne
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software