RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Software Photoshop, Lightroom, Paintshop Pro, Painter, etc., and all their various plugins. Of course, you can also discuss all other programs, as well.

Actions, brushes, swatches, styles, textures etc.

Old 01-07-2005, 10:22 PM

Using Danny's Knowledge

Danny,

I like to download these actions from all these people who are smarter than me and then play with them. Most of course aren't what I thought so now I have another .atn that I must erase for space sake or...

Is there a method to be able to "folderise" these actions in groupings such as: Main tested folders [with such things as ones I've written]; ...color balancing atns; ...ones to test out... and be able to mount your suggested downloads for here to the 'ones to test' then move to the appropriate folder or the trash as necessary? Is it possible to organise atn s by a folder/set grouping? HOW

I know that atn's may be organized in sets but I haven't a clue how that works. I remember how happy I was at finding you 'Mother of all atn sets' years ago and loading them. So many had no bearing on what I did but; I had no idea how to organize them so the list was so long I ended up scrapping all so I could figure out my atn list. The result of course was I almost never use a downloaded atn. ASIDE, Danny this could be a good Tutorial in another thread

Robert Collins

Last edited by Robt; 01-07-2005 at 10:23 PM. Reason: add sig
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-08-2005, 01:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robt
Danny,

I like to download these actions from all these people who are smarter than me and then play with them. Most of course aren't what I thought so now I have another .atn that I must erase for space sake or...

Is there a method to be able to "folderise" these actions in groupings such as: Main tested folders [with such things as ones I've written]; ...color balancing atns; ...ones to test out... and be able to mount your suggested downloads for here to the 'ones to test' then move to the appropriate folder or the trash as necessary? Is it possible to organise atn s by a folder/set grouping? HOW

I know that atn's may be organized in sets but I haven't a clue how that works. I remember how happy I was at finding you 'Mother of all atn sets' years ago and loading them. So many had no bearing on what I did but; I had no idea how to organize them so the list was so long I ended up scrapping all so I could figure out my atn list. The result of course was I almost never use a downloaded atn. ASIDE, Danny this could be a good Tutorial in another thread

Robert Collins
Hi Robert:

To create a new Action Set, click on the New Set icon at the bottom of the Actions Palette (the one that looks like manilla folder).

Generally speaking you can add as many new Action Sets as you like and name them accordingly, e.g., Black and White, Sharpening, Art, Frames, etc. Then you can drag/drop (move) actions from Action Set A into Action Set B all day long.

Similarly for individual actions (or entire Action Sets) you don't like or don't need, just drag/drop them into the Actions Palette Trash. Done deal. No need to keep things of no value.

Unfortunately Photoshop restricts one to a single level of Action Sets (aka: an action folders), that is, you cannot have an Action Set inside an Action Set like you can Windows file folders inside of Windows folders. This limitation makes organizing actions within the Actions Palette challenging for those who hord actions like I do.

When it comes to an organization scheme, there's no "right or wrong" way. It's like organizing your kitchen or office: You do what works for you and it may take years (literally) to fine tune the process/scheme.

A second dimension is how to organize .atn files on your hard disk. This and other action organization-related topics are covered in agonizing depth in a tutorial I wrote which can be downloaded from http://www.AtnCentral.com. (Click "Tutorial" at the top of the page). If you haven't yet, check out that section (about 2/3 into it). After having done so, feel free to ask more questions or for clarification. I'll be glad to help.

~Danny~
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-08-2005, 04:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swanseamale47
Sorry Danny, I'm reasonably inexperienced at making actions, and didn't think of putting them on different layers, I will bare it in mind next time. They were made originaly for a particular set of pics, I was trying to reproduce the effect of cross processing (copying actual photos) and got pretty close (I thought) I like your pic, what did you alter? Wayne
No worries, Wayne. You did just fine. Everyone starts at the same place when it comes to writing actions: The beginning. You get better with practice and experience.

re: My pic
In the Curves adjustment layer I experimented with the curve for each color channel. Nothing scientific... just dragged each curve this way and that to see what would happen. It was great fun!
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-08-2005, 04:34 AM

Thanks Danny, I have a set of four sharpning actions I made, one is a simple high pass sharpner, but the other three use several ajustments (glowing edges, gausine blur and Usm) I don't know where to start putting them on different layers, and putting stops in etc. (they took me long enough to make as it was lol) I could post the set as it is if you wish to take a look? Wayne
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-08-2005, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swanseamale47
Thanks Danny, I have a set of four sharpning actions I made, one is a simple high pass sharpner, but the other three use several ajustments (glowing edges, gausine blur and Usm) I don't know where to start putting them on different layers, and putting stops in etc. (they took me long enough to make as it was lol) I could post the set as it is if you wish to take a look? Wayne
Sure... Go for it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-08-2005, 12:07 PM

Sharpning actions

Heres a set I made a while ago, it's a set of four sharpning actions, one is a high pass sharpner and the other three (2 3 and 4) use a more complicated arrangment of glowing edges, gausine blue, and the USM. The actions are non-destructive (they make a duplicate image as first step) they were made for medium size images 4-8 MP I would recomend no 2 as a starting point, 4 being quite strong. NB 2 3 and 4 may not work on lab colour or greyscale images (untested) Wayne
Attached Files
File Type: zip Waynes sharpning set.zip (994 Bytes, 233 views)

Last edited by swanseamale47; 01-09-2005 at 05:04 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-09-2005, 03:12 AM

Overall a solid group of actions, Wayne. The high-pass action worked like magic.

A couple suggestions:
* I might include most of what you said in your descriptive text above in a "ReadMe" action that consisted of 2-3 Stop commands. Having your comments within a action in this group would be a helpful addition/reminder for not-so-good memories (like my own).
* Waynes sharpner 3: Did you mean to include a Duplicate Image command at the outset like the other actions?
* In addition to the Duplicate First Document step at the beginning of each action (a good practice, in my opinion), consider adding a Duplicate Background step and apply the sharpening to it. That way when each action finishes one has the sharpened and original layers in the same image.
* On the action names I believe you meant to use "sharpening," not "sharpning."

If you ever want to replace an attached file with an updated one, click the Edit button on your post, then Manage Attachments (again), delete the currrent attachment and upload a replacement.

This is a very useful set of actions, especially for those not familiar with high-pass or edge mask sharpening methods. Well done.

==> Send me an e-mail, please (click my name above for the menu).

~Danny~
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-09-2005, 05:10 AM

I have edited the last set of actions, I didn't reilise that no 3 didn't have a duplicate image command so I have remade that action, and (hopefull) it now will make a duplicate image.
When I get the time I will remake the whole set, possibly adding some other usefull actions I have made.
I apoligise for any errors in the actions, I'm fairly new to making them, so I'm still finding my way, but I wanted to share them with the other fourum users. Wayne
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-28-2005, 11:19 PM

Talking Hi everyone

Hi just joined and have a question can I download the art history brush into Painter 9 or Paint shop pro 9 thanks
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-29-2005, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bev from oz
Hi just joined and have a question can I download the art history brush into Painter 9 or Paint shop pro 9 thanks
Hi Bev... Glad you followed the yellow brick road and found RetouchPRO.

This is an excellent question. While on the surface it would seem like the answer should be fairly straight forward, it's a little messier than that.

In case others who are reading this thread are not aware, the Art History Brush is a Photoshop tool, which can use any of Photoshop's brushes, e.g., soft-edged, hard-edged, watercolor, scatter, etc.

For the context of this thread Photoshop supports two file types:
* Brush libraries (*.abr), which may consist of one or more brushes (see above)
* Presets (*.tpl), with are Photoshop tool specific, e.g., Art History Brush, Crop, Dodge, Burn, etc.

Technically there's no such thing as an "Art History Brush file." If the file to which you're referring has a .tpl file suffix (an "Art History Brush preset"), then "No, it won't work in Painter or PSP."

If it has an .abr file suffix, as I recall the .abr suffix can be renamed to whatever PSP uses for its brush files and PSP will recognize it. If applicable you'll just have to try it to see if I'm dreaming (a definite possibility) or not on this one.

Unfortunately there's no such file name modification that will make an .abr file compatible with Painter.

Wish the news was better for your 1st RP thread...

...but I'm sure glad you asked.

~Danny~
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software