RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Software Photoshop, Lightroom, Paintshop Pro, Painter, etc., and all their various plugins. Of course, you can also discuss all other programs, as well.

Actions, brushes, swatches, styles, textures etc.

Old 09-29-2005, 01:29 PM

Quote:
If it has an .abr file suffix, as I recall the .abr suffix can be renamed to whatever PSP uses for its brush files and PSP will recognize it.
danny, i dont think this is true. i've tried this and a simple re-name doesnt work to get it to work in psp, at least not in version 7. not sure i tried in 9. havent tried with 10. someone else hinted at being able to do it, but dont think it was as simple as a re-naming of the extension.

Craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-29-2005, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraellin
danny, i dont think this is true. i've tried this and a simple re-name doesnt work to get it to work in psp, at least not in version 7. not sure i tried in 9. havent tried with 10. someone else hinted at being able to do it, but dont think it was as simple as a re-naming of the extension.

Craig
Thanks for clarifying that, Craig.

Maybe it was the other direction... Rename a PSP brush.xxx to brush.abr and Photoshop can use it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-29-2005, 07:31 PM

Talking thanks

thanks for the explanation Danny now i understand lol would hate to miss out on a brush
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-01-2005, 06:50 PM

Question watercolor

I hope I am on the right form. Danny I have your action ket 7a but the watercolor actions are very harsh I am looking for something to make me photos into something that really looks like watercolor. I work with artist everyday and I love the look. They have told me to get some of my pics ready to sell next year.

I also downloaded Immpressionist but I am having a time finding just the right thing.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-01-2005, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ydelle
I hope I am on the right form. Danny I have your action ket 7a but the watercolor actions are very harsh I am looking for something to make me photos into something that really looks like watercolor. I work with artist everyday and I love the look. They have told me to get some of my pics ready to sell next year.

I also downloaded Impressionist but I am having a time finding just the right thing.
Bottom line: Achieving a realistic watercolor look with Photoshop actions just isn't doable, assuming you're going for that wet-on-wet look where colors kind of fade together and/or have that dried unevenly look on paper. In fact I don't recall ever seeing any decent watercolor out of Photoshop, regardless of method.

Impressionist isn't going to be of much help watercolor-wise, either. It does some styles OK, e.g., oils, charcoal, chalk, dry brush -- but not WC.

The best WC effect I've seen in quite a while was created by Retouch member Goldcoin. She said she used Painter 6.0, not to be confused with Painter IX which is the current version as of 10/05.

Here are a few examples by Goldcoin, who does some great work:
* http://www.pbase.com/goldcoin/image/35809599
* http://www.pbase.com/goldcoin/image/46086979

Note: These were "hand (tablet) rendered" strokes, not generated from a plugin.

On the right photo, the Buzz plugin can yield a semi-decent watercolor look, so you might want to give that a look: www.Fo2pix.com.

I wish I had better news for ya...

~Danny~

Last edited by DannyRaphael; 10-01-2005 at 08:36 PM. Reason: added note regarding Buzz
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-01-2005, 11:27 PM

Post watercolor

Too bad there isn't one because I can't draw but I can take a good photograph
I downloaded the vincent zip but now I forgot where to put it. what forum was it on.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-02-2005, 02:20 PM

FYI: The Vincent style has kind of an Impressionist-look.

re: I downloaded the vincent zip but now I forgot where to put it.

After unzipping the .zip, file "Vincent.set" needs to be placed inside \Impressionist\Impressionist accessories\User Settings. Once the .set file is in \User Settings and you've shutdown/restarted Photoshop, when you click the Styles button on in the Impressionist dialog, the (new) Vincent category will appear just above Watercolor.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-31-2006, 06:49 PM

Actions

Hi, I am a newbie and I think you people are very talented. I can only hope that someday, I can be half as good. Now for my question. Once you download the actions here, How do you put them into photoshop? I am interested in the decrack action. I downloaded it, then I didnt know where to put it, or how to get to it once I do get it. Please give me directios to do this, because I have a real need for it. Thank you.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-31-2006, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HroadhogD1
Hi, I am a newbie and I think you people are very talented. I can only hope that someday, I can be half as good. Now for my question. Once you download the actions here, How do you put them into photoshop? I am interested in the decrack action. I downloaded it, then I didnt know where to put it, or how to get to it once I do get it. Please give me directios to do this, because I have a real need for it. Thank you.
Welcome H(for Harley?)roadhog to RetouchPRO.

Regarding where to put the .atn file on your hard disk many people create a folder in a convenient location (your call on where) and name it something like \my actions or \actions from the net or whatever... and use this folder as a repository for actions they acquire.

After downloading/unzipping/saving the .atn file...
* Open Photoshop
* Press F9 to show the Actions Palette if it's not yet visible
* From the Actions Palette menu (arrow/top right) choose Load Actions...
* Navigate to the just unzipped .atn file and click Load. This copies the contents of the .atn file into Photoshop.

Here's a good intro tutorial to check out by Sonia Coleman. (Scroll down to the Photoshop section.) It's a 3-part series, and will get you acquainted with the Actions Palette, playing actions, etc:

http://www.soniacoleman.com/Tutorials/tutorials.htm

Hope this gets you moving.

~Danny~
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-31-2006, 08:55 PM

actions

Thanks Danny, I will give it a try.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software