RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Software Photoshop, Lightroom, Paintshop Pro, Painter, etc., and all their various plugins. Of course, you can also discuss all other programs, as well.

Windows 7 - are you taking the leap?

Old 10-12-2009, 03:25 PM
RetouchPRO LIVE Guest Artist
Patron

Re: Windows 7 - are you taking the leap?

7 RC runs just fine on Macs using Parallels. I've also heard good things about it from a developer who says it's the best version of Windows to date. So good for Microsoft!
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-13-2009, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Or does ability to address > 4 GB of RAM require 64-bit OS?
hi danny,

your maximum ram capacity is determined mainly by the bit size of a 'byte'. it's basically a binary thing in that the 'byte', which used to be 8 bits and is now up to 64, is the determining factor. most xp machines are 32 bit. this means they can access up to about 3 gigabytes of ram and that's if you have the patch in xp which allows this (otherwise you're limited to two). in a 64 bit system, the byte is now 64 bits, which in turn allows for a ton more ram. my current machine has six and can access it all and has the capacity to add six more, and again, access it all.

so, the answer to your question is, if you have a 64 bit motherboard and a 64 bit operating system then yes, you can break the 3 gig limit.

and, if you wish to figure this yourself, just count in binary as high as you can go with a 32 bit byte and a 64 bit byte and you can see just how high the numbers are for each and that's the limit on each.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-31-2009, 01:16 AM
Patron

I will add that I updated my RAM today for a total of 6GBytes (can go up to 16GBytes with my current MB). Couldn't justify the cost for higher RAM (nor the wait since I would have had to mailorder it). 2GBytes was quite smooth; 6Gs even better. Not I can have man VMs open (like Ubuntu, XP Pro and Win98) without worrying about memory issues.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-31-2009, 07:33 AM

Pardon my ignorance. Does regular (32 bit) soft work on 64 bit Win 7?

Pavel
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-31-2009, 08:30 AM
Patron

For the most part yes pavel. Win7 64 separates 32 app installs from 64 but runs both. See screenshot attached of my C drive.
Attached Images
File Type: png screenshot.png (121.3 KB, 40 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-31-2009, 11:19 AM

Just installed last night. Now I get shutdowns and blue screens and wireless internet that only works when it wants to or feels like it. It is an upgrade kit that was sent directly from HP for this particular computer.

Some drivers that either Microsoft provided or HP provided are screwing it all up.
Good luck!
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-31-2009, 12:11 PM

Thank you, Lyle
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-31-2009, 01:33 PM
Patron

Wish I could be of assistance aartist, but Win7 still is way too new for me to give advice. I will say that I hope you started out clean (i.e., formatted HD). I used an upgrade CD, but had XP Pro, so I was forced to do so, but even if I had Vista, I would have chosen a clean install. Hope you get things figured out; when you do so, I would appreciate any info that gave you the solution (I fix PCs and you never stop learning or picking up things in this field).
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-31-2009, 02:26 PM

Lyle, It was the included windows7 upgrade kit from HP. No clean install but the computer was new and almost a virgin. I did find someone on the net with exact same problem, with exact same computer and with exact same upgrade kit.

Anyone doing the upgrade should first go to manufacture's website and download all drivers and have them ready before installing windows 7. My Nvidia Graphic and Realtek Audio drivers were not properly installed by the upgrade kit. Window's automatic update provided the wrong drivers also. Make sure to stick with drivers the manufacturer provides from their website and don't let Microsoft do automatic updates either.

Good thing I had another computer that would download these drivers because the updated computer would not stay online long enough to complete the download process. BLUE SCREEN of death and disfunctional operation. Man, I thought I was back in the days of Windows 95.

Note: The drivers should have been included with HP's Windows7 upgrade kit, hence the word "kit". Once someone gave me the heads up on which drivers were causing the trouble, I was able to download them and install them without trouble. In my opinion, HP dropped the ball by not provided driver information with their kit.

Last edited by aartist; 10-31-2009 at 09:00 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-02-2009, 01:38 PM
Patron

I really like HPs, but I've had my share with issues fixing them. I remember when SP3 came out and the AMD HPs had some issues due to, believe it or not, Intel Drivers (not used, but Microsoft and a caniption with these being on and AMD system and then came the BSOD). I know the solution to this now of course, but my first experience with this one was a headache (I mean, SP3 had been out for several months before I actually started to install the SP; oh well; lol). Good that you got your driver issues figured out; will keep a note on this in case I have to upgrade HPs for clients that I may get that want the upgrade.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software