RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Software Photoshop, Lightroom, Paintshop Pro, Painter, etc., and all their various plugins. Of course, you can also discuss all other programs, as well.

Windows 7 - are you taking the leap?

Old 11-02-2009, 01:47 PM

Re: Windows 7 - are you taking the leap?

im gonna make the leap at the start of the year. I think im just gonna get a new machine with it already installed. 2 months should be a good amount of time to see if i want to upgrade on over.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-02-2009, 02:14 PM
Patron

The thing that will make Win7 a great OS is, though they did it a little on the clunky side, encouraged the use of VMs (XP-Mode) with the admission that compatibility is an issue and the attempt to at least address this using one of the most popular OSs that they sold (i.e., XP). You don't see a Vista mode. lol

VMs the future. Really, it's the only way to stop malware imo. I used VirtualBox and an XP VM for all my browsing needs (do use XP-Mode for some of my Dad's software since it required the Serial port and haven't gotten it to be friendly in VirtualBox for whatever reason, so I gave up on that issue for now; XP-Mode works fine with that software package (blood sugar meter)). Also created win Win98 VM to play some oldies but goodies that never really played well in XP but works fantastically in Win98 (UNO and Bicycle Solitare; had the solitare game when I actually had a Win3.1 OS; lol). Those games work great in VM Win98. The introduction to VMs to the masses (I know VMming has been around for a long time, but was not really introduced formally to the common Dick or Jane) is what Win7 did. Using a VM as a defacto Sandbox will stop a virus cold (doesn't alleviate the need for anti-malware software, but Microsoft Security Essentials works fine for me; Windows Firewall is fine for my needs too). I go further (use Sandboxie in my XP VM), but that's for added protection since I lean towards the Andy Grove school of thought (seen way to many mal-infected machines too, so that makes me even more sensitive; lol). I even use Ubuntu in a VM on occasion. VMming will finally be adopted by all is what my hopes are for Win7. With modern MBs, hardware VM acceleration makes the transistion smooth too (my MB supports this; as a side note, XP-Mode can not be installed if your MB doesn't).

Just as a deviation, I found this cool (but frivaless) tool to texturize the toolbar. Also, see this for some more fun that I found Win7 can do (just wish my mouse could invoke this; I know that this feature probably originated in Vista, but you have to understand that I've been XPing for over 7 years now; lol).
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-04-2009, 10:54 PM
RetouchPRO LIVE Guest Artist
Patron

I run Windows XP/7 beta and Ubuntu Linux on Macs under Parallels, and it's a breeze to play with these OS's. I hope to get the final Win7 soon.

I recently discovered Seven Transformation Pack 3 for XP and slapped that on to get rid of the Windows ugly ;-). Very clever tool!
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-05-2009, 11:55 AM

I pick up my new computer tomorrow with 7 installed, here's hoping all is ok but good to read the reports.

Thanks
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-07-2009, 06:23 PM

Did anybody tried to use Zone Alarm Firewall with Win 7 64 bit?
I can not seem to get it to work, although in theory they are compatible.

Pavel

Apologies, I just found an answer. There is no Win 7 version
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-08-2009, 05:39 AM

I got my Win 7 computer yesterday and, guess what, I saw my first blue screen in many years, when computer crushed for no apparent reason. I suppose I've taken the leap too yearly, always prudent to wait for MS to work out bugs and such.
Could be not just Win 7 but a combination of Win 7 and HP.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-08-2009, 07:30 AM

Kinda like the commercial they (Mac) are running on T.V. right now. The one about not having any of the problems that the previous version of Windows had. If you haven't seen the commercial, it's very funny. So funny, it hurts!

I've experienced blue screens off and on with my HP too after upgrading from Vista. Had another one yesterday. Brings back many painful memories of shutting down and loosing data.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-08-2009, 08:13 AM

I was quite happy with XP, so I did not upgrade to Vista and waited for Win 7 to hit the market, well, should've waited longer...but it does seem that the problem is HP AND Win 7 since nobody reported blue screens to my knowledge.

At this point I am contemplating returning my computer back to HP

Pavel

Aartist: what is your the model of your HP computer? I have e9260f

Last edited by pavel123; 11-08-2009 at 08:35 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-08-2009, 08:33 PM

I guess my questions is, what the hell was wrong with XP? Why Vista and now Windows7? Oh yea, I forgot, Micro-s o f t wants to make more money.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-09-2009, 10:51 PM

pavel,

most likely your blue screen was the result of older drivers that arent compatible with win7... yet. this tends to be a standard issue with new o/s's, particularly with microsoft o/s's. this is only partially microsoft's fault, but, it happens with every new o/s. the best thing to do is to go to each manufacturer's site and start getting the latest drivers for your devices. they may not even have them for win7 yet, but most of the devices from major manufacturers will. HP is a major manufacturer, so they shld have most of the new drivers and if they dont, they will pretty soon, i would guess.

that is one area where macs beat pc's since mac keeps a closed architecture. so, when mac releases something new, they have almost complete control over the drivers. but, it also works against mac because we geeky folks dont like closed architectures. we like being able to replace our own harddrives and not spend $800 for one harddrive replacement. so, there's always a tradeoff. frankly, i'd have bought a mac long ago if they'd just open their architecture up to third parties and end users. for a company that prides itself on creativity and innovations, that's not very creative or innovative.

but i digress... just update your drivers, especially video drivers. i've seen more blue screens because of video card drivers than anything else.

Last edited by Craig Walters; 11-10-2009 at 12:56 AM.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software